It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i have been reading through alot of different posts. and i havent really found an answer to my question.

First i will explain my story briefly and then i will get on with my question. So about 5 years ago i injured my lower back L4 L5 doing squats at the gym. Since then i was initially given tylonol 3s which didnt do anything then percocets and so on and so fourth. And presently for the past 2 years i have been prescribed 40mg oxy 3x per day. now part of this story is that i moved to a different province in canada about 2 years ago and i had to get a new pain doctor. And this doctor has been great but no one has ever been able to determine the nature of my pain since all my mri's show up normal. So as a diagnostic test a couple months ago i had some cortico injections done on my facet joints to determine if it helped relieve some pain. And i followed up with a phone call to my dr a few weeks later to give him my results. During our phone call i told my doctor that about a week after the facet injection i noticed a slight drop in pain but not extremely significant. and i told him that the perceptive pain loss only lasted about 2 weeks. He then told me that he would like to begin tapering me off oxycontin.... my problem with this is that i already know full well that its pretty damn hard to take even 10mg less per day of oxy cuz if i have them i will do them. altho i do not ever go over my prescribed amount my body is very opiate aware and i know that if i were to try and take less on a daily basis it wouldnt go over very well with my body. according to my pharmacy my dr has informed them to taper my medication by 10mg per week for 4 weeks. then i would follow up with my dr. The biggest problem with this scenario for me is that i work on an oilrig. which means i am in the absolute middle of nowhere for at least 21 days at a time. and when im home its maybe for 5 days if im lucky. So if i run into trouble while im at work... such as running out of medication... Then im essentialy screwed! So i am extremely concerned about having to taper while im going to be at work.

The other somewhat of a saving grace is that i do have 15 suboxones from an old friend. i have not even discussed suboxones with my current dr because the moment you ask them about medication like that then they write you off as a patient and send you to someone who deals with addiction. And they type it in their stupid little computers then any time you go to another dr it will come up as drug dependant and you will never get help again for anything. i have many friends who are in worse pain now then they were in the past for new injurys and because they had tried to quit years ago it still shows up in the computer that they were opioid dependant at one point in their life. So now all doctors just frown at them and throw them some tylenol's which is a joke for opiate tolerant pain sufferers.

So now to my question.
its a two part question. Can i take a very small dosage of suboxone per day along with my oxycontin while i am tapering from my current oxy dosage? i know some may think that that is counter productive but what i am trying to accomplish is the ability to actually bring my dosage down on oxycontin. i do not know if i will be able to come off of them completely because i realize i will have some type of pain in my lower back if i were to discontinue them. But for the meantime i have to make my dr happy and i am willing to try and taper down on these oxys. i just know it will be next to impossible to do it without some type of help. which is why i was thinking of using the suboxone alongside at low dosages this month to try and combate the ikky feeling i get if i dont have my complete dosage of oxy.

My other question is,
is it possible to come off oxy for a couple days or even a week using suboxone and then theoretically going back on oxy at a much lesser dosage thus making it even easyer to taper off the oxy? for example if im taking 120mg a day of oxy. 3x 40mg a day could i stop taking that for a week by using suboxone?.. Then im assuming all or most of the oxy would be out of my system, so at that point could i stop taking the suboxone and go back onto the oxycontin but at a much lesser of a dosage? like could i take 2 percocets a day or something and still feel ok and also get the benifit of the pain relief of a full agonist? ive always wondered about this and i hope the question makes sense. i realize this might seem very counter productive for most but for me i am just really trying to bring my dosage down because i dont see the need for me to be taking that much oxy the only reason i take it is because thats what my body is used to but if i could get my body used to a much lesser dosage of oxy by using suboxone to get there then i would be very happy with that.

Any replies will be appreciate. thanks i think this site is great i have been doing alot of reading and its nice to have a sense of community like this. i hope someone can help answer my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DO NOT TAKE SUB WHILE TAKING ANY OXY! To start sub you must be in mild to moderate withdrawl, if you take sub before you are in withdrawl you will get precipitated withdrawl which is the most horrible, painful sickness you will ever experience. Sub has a higher binding affinity for your opiate receptors and if taken prior to withdrawl it will rip the rest of the oxy off and put you in p.w.

Stopping oxy and taking sub for a week will not lower your tolerance. Sub is a very powerful drug, even more so than oxy. It is a partial agonist so once stabilized you will feel no high from it but it will keep your receptors saturated and do nothing to decrease your dependence. Unless you are looking to completely get off oxy I wouldn't take any sub. It is a great medication for recovery and can help you to get off oxy but you also have to be ready to quit. If you are going to stay on oxy then unfortunately your at your Drs mercy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have used suboxone in the past so i guess i should have mentioned that. However in canada where im from it was not an option for me to continue using as i do not work anywhere near a city i work in the middle of nowhere for weeks at a time and the suboxone prescribers in my province want you to get your dose from a pharmacy every single day and that just is completely out of the question for me. Altho it would have been nice to try and quit oxys its pretty sad that drs will prescribe pain meds no problem but when it comes to wanting to come off thats a different story then all of a sudden you gotta have your hand held the entire time and i cant take 3 months off of work to build credibility with a new dr. Currently i only ever use suboxone if i get into trouble. like if i am at work longer than i had anticipated sometimes i run out of meds. not early because of abuse or anything like that but sometimes i just cant get to a pharmacy cuz im half way across the country in the bush drilling for oil. So if i know im running low i will take a 4mg of sub and that usually lasts me a day but i notice it deffinately doesnt do much for my lower back pain. also i usually take my last oxy at 10pm and if i have run out and need to take a sub i generally just take it the following morning around 8am and i have never had a precipitated withdrawl i guess im lucky that way. i was just hoping that i could try and lower my oxy dosage thus making my dr happy and thus making me happy and also perhaps being able to make my meds last longer. the pharmacy is only allowed to dispence 1 month of narcotics at a given time per patient so thats the problem i run into i have to time my work schedule just rite so that i can make sure im able to fill my meds on my off days. But that doesnt always happen which is a gigantic headache. So if i could manage to go on subs for a week and then some how have it lower my tolerance to oxys then i would be able to maybe make them last longer so i wasnt so stresses every month at work about running out. even tho i try and be as responsable as i can be and i dont abuse my meds i always make them last because of my job i do run into sticky situations. and i just want to avoid being in medical trouble while im at work. So the subs are kinda like a saftey net for me. personally i think all narcotics are like handcuffs. but then again so is pain. i guess if i worked in a rural city id never have these problems but i dont know what to do about that. But thank you for your reply. also suboxones taste like crap i almost throw up just putting a bit under my tongue ewww. i guess thats the point tho