It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Painter - Tramadol also has AD characteristics, it acts as an SNRI, similar to Effexor, I believe. A while back you posted you were on a low dose of Tramadol + a low dose od Sub. Maybe you hit on the combination that worked best to treat your bi-polar. Is this still working for you?

Post subject: Suboxone for Depression
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I started Subs for pill addiction and it helped my depression. Been on it 3 years and have no intentions of going off. The instant I do, I know that I will start looking for pills again. My dose has only DECREASED from 32 mgs a day down to 8. It's an individual decision whether to stop or not, and shame on anyone who tries to impose on YOU what is best for THEM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am glad to hear of some of your success stories, but it seems the ones who have had the most success had opiate issues to begin with. I'm sure that's not 100% the case, but for the most part it is and if your prone to using to help cope then Suboxone is certainly a terrific option. For me I was seeking it outside of addiction as a standalone product for my depression and that was a HUGE mistake. That's not what it's made for and there are good reasons for that. Quite frankly the med was brutal in terms of side effects and even after discontinuing I had issues a few months later with getting sick while taking regular pain medicine (oxys) for a broken tailbone.

As for my depression treatment now, well I made an important discovery last year and realized that my depression was caused by my ignoring my personality type. You see I'm an introvert and was living life attempting to be an extrovert...ignoring who you are can be more damaging then any drug. I've dropped all medication and took steps to better embrace the fact that I need my alone time. I've got a long way to go but I've felt better recently then I ever did on any medication. Again, this is not for everyone but if medications are not working for you perhaps it's time to look inside and discover what's causing your depression.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello. I'm new to suboxone, and new here and looking forward to researching several topics. I am taking it because of heroin addiction but wondering if it may also have a positive effect on mdd w/ anxiety or bp depression or whatever mental illness I have alongside addiction. Glad to hear that Darken is exploring a healthy route toward treating depression.

WOnder if depressed/bp depressed have used maois? I've tried almost all the meds people listed in this thread, sometimes the same med for different actions in wildly differing amounts (btw my worst and longest AD withdrawl was w/ effexor - even when taking it if I forgot it that same day my lips would tingle, felt like every so often I was missing a step and had flickering neon vision). No one mentioned MAOIs though. Additionally I take 1/4 -1/2 mg of Klonopin and have for so long am pretty sure I will elect never to go through a year long (making that up but probably is how long it would take to withdrawl) withdrawl and it serves me moderately well and/OR I simply do not want to know how anxious I'd be w/out it. SO, after years and years of ADs and atypicals I too decided serotonin and probably norepinephrine were not the problem (and so the second time around I really wanted lithium to work and maybe I was happier but I like bed and since I mostly stayed in bed and expanded the second time on lithium it wasn't practical). So I suggested Parnate. AM not on a high dose, it's not a cure but is a help. I still can and very often do stay in bed all day, but also I can and do go to work. If I exercised maybe I'd be all better but. Am hopeful that Suboxone and Parnate might work well together. Does anyone have experience w/ the combination of an MAOI and buprenorphine? Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Darken wrote:
Taurus - I've had experience using Oxy's before. I had them left over from a surgery and used them recreationally to get 'high'. Two of them (don't recall the dose) and I woudn't have cared if a dump truck came through my house. The itchyness and sedating effect was much stronger when taking the oxy's for sure. Overall the effect from the Suboxone is MUCH more subtle and nothing close to the potency of the Oxy's. I would not classify what I feel on the Suboxone as Euphoria...it's much like others describe... I can feel 'something' and it has a postive effect on my mood so it's a plus for the time being.

Oclafsti - If I had access to opiates I have no doubt I would have become an addict a long time ago. It's no secret that opiates were used in the treatment for depression before the advent of the first tricyclic AD's in the 1950's. The 'remission' rate was also much higher then, then it is now using conventional AD's. However 'higher' is the key word here, as we had people getting high to beat their depression....not the best solution to the problem. Suboxone does not get me high....not even close....but it does help me 'feel' and has a positive impact on my mood, so to that effect its better then any AD I have ever been on.

Darken,
You described EXACTLY how I feel on suboxone here (red):) I was only in active addiction for less than a year, but I've been on suboxone for 10 years (since September2004) and I think its because its so effective in treating my depression.
I came off of suboxone once back 2005, and I thought everything would be fine once I got off it. The physical withdrawal symptoms were manageable and didn't last very long for me. Mentally, however, once the physical withdrawal subsided, I felt horribly depressed, and antidepressants help minimize my anxiety but don't help with my depression much (welbutrin is also my AD of choice). Anyway, I went back to feeling the misery that I'd felt my entire life before I'd found drugs.

When I was 19, a prescription of just 40 vicodans for an ear infection got me HOOKED! I literally felt like I found what I'd been searching for my whole life!!! I'd struggled with severe depression & suicidal tendencies for many years, and self-medicated anyway I could- alcohol, sex, reckless lifestyle, spending $$, obsessive exercise. With opiates, I felt like I could enjoy life for the first time; I was no longer struggling just to get thru the day, I was LIVING! But getting opiates illegally comes with a price, and as my tolerance soared, I was working 3 jobs and had nothing to show for it; plus, I was "pill-sick" more often than not, and my solution to life soon became unbearable.

So when methadone didn't work (the clinic was too far in downtown Pittsburgh traffic, so I kept missing my 7am dose), my father-in-law found suboxone; although it was a new treatment, it had been used in other countries successfully for many years. And you could get in in a doctor's office setting. Once on it, things leveled out for me, my depression is well controlled. In 2005 after 4 months clean, I simply made an appointment with the suboxone doctor telling them I relapsed. I bought some opiates off the street day before, so I'd have a dirty drug screen when I went for my apt and I haven't looked back since.

There are some side effects to buprenorphine; none that I'm not willing to live with. The trade off for me is totally worth it. Being "a slave to suboxone" or "having to depend on medication to get thru the day" as some people often complain of, for me, is FAR BETTER than being a slave to depression. And I did want to tell you, that after 10 years, suboxone works just as well for me now as it did in the beginning. Since restarting back in 2005, my dose has gone up and down some (to manage side effects, pain, etc), but buprenorphine has not become any less effective in managing my depression. (My dose has fluctuated between 2mg-6mg in the last 9 years).

I hope I've encouraged you; if you are like me, and suboxone works well as depression management medication for you too, I hope that it continues to help you as it has me:) I'm probably going to be a "lifer" on suboxone; I have accepted that and I know that for me, its sooooooo much better than the alternatives of depression and addiction:)

Good luck!!!
Jamie

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:10 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Darken wrote:
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Well first off, to address the comments on whether Suboxone could be prescribed for Depression. This falls under two areas...the first is whether the doctor would even consider such a thing. In most cases the answer is no...normally the only ones who would even think along this route would be Psychiatrists...as they are more apt to be dealing with people who have other MI's then just addiction. However, it could also be a possibility with an MD as well who did not specialize in addiction. I was lucky enough to find a GP who had tried it successfully with patients and was not against thinking outside the box. The second part is as was already mentioned the doctor need only inform you that you would be using the drug Off-label...to prescribe it legally. Which he did both before the appointment and during the appointment....and of course I already knew this.

As we now roll into week three I am finding my experience with Sub to be much the same. I am now dosing 1/2 mg in the morning and 1/2 mg at night...while this may be unecessary, since I can feel the dose take effect each time I take it, I decided to 'up' the medication in this route as opposed to taking 1mg at one shot...my experience with taking 3/4 mg in one dose was so harsh that I am in no hurry to repeat that anytime soon. The affect on my mood has been tremendous...however the on and off nausea is getting very old. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it hits...but it can usually be tempered with Promethazine....If I was smart I would just take them together as a rule, but I am trying to take as few meds as possible...so if I don't need the Promethazine I don't take it...some days I don't get nausea...others I do.

One of the effects I would like feedback on is sleep. When I dose the Suboxone at night and lay down to go to sleep I can really 'feel' the medication. It's a very mellow feeling where I am awake yet have no sense of time..sometimes I'll lay there for hours feeling 'good' but not realizing it's been that long. I am unable to actually 'fall' asleep during this time...whereas if I normally put my head down I'll be asleep in no time. I have been prescribed low dose Seroquel which works like a champ for deep sleep...but in the end I'd rather not be on it at all....again I don't need any weird interactions and the less medicaiton the better.

I also have to split my dose, and when taking it at bedtime, I'm up all night. Try taking half when you wake up and half mid afternoon, this has always been just the ticket for me:)

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Darken- I did finish reading thru the rest of this thread, and I'm sorry it didn't work well for you. People who aren't opiate addicts that try suboxone typically have violent nausea and vomiting; I hoped that it would have subsided for you in time:(

Anyway, still best of luck and I hope you find whatever it is that you're looking for.

Jamie B