It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been on Suboxone for 8 months and im down to .25 mil 2ce a day. I am trying to quit very soon. i was wondering if anyone has had any success trying to take a small amount of an opiate every couple days to ease the withdrawal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A very, very bad idea. Most of us here didn't do too well 'using' opioid agonists in a 'controlled' taper. You haven't gotten better at it---you just had help from buprenorphine. And the fact that you are considering it tells me that you are far from ready to be off buprenorphine.

Can you see the pattern?
controlled opioid use--------- out of control opioid use-------buprenorphine use------ return of sanity..... then back to controlled opioid use, and around we go.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
A very, very bad idea. Most of us here didn't do too well 'using' opioid agonists in a 'controlled' taper. You haven't gotten better at it---you just had help from buprenorphine. And the fact that you are considering it tells me that you are far from ready to be off buprenorphine.

Can you see the pattern?
controlled opioid use--------- out of control opioid use-------buprenorphine use------ return of sanity..... then back to controlled opioid use, and around we go.....

This! Very, very, very few people can Handle this. I know there's no way I could.

"the only way out is through"

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello,
Listen to the doc. bad idea. You think if you can "take the edge off" of sub withdrawal with an opiate you are fooling yourself.

While you are still taking the suboxone, its my opinion you should be putting a plan in place for long-term recovery. I hear too many stories of people getting off the suboxone just to return to active using in a relatively short time. The common theme to their stories is that they did not have any kind of plan in place once they were clean.

If you are convinced this is the right time for you to be totally clean, then what I would do is continue to taper and while you are doing this put an effective plan in place. Make sure you have a support system in place, counseling( It would be wise to talk to a professional that knows about addiction), exercise, all old habits and connections gone, etc., etc. Please really think about this, the bottom line is to be successful, right? I feel if anybody is truly "ready" to be done with suboxone and all other drugs of choice, you truly have a great attitude towards stopping. Your mind and body are ready to stop, you have a positive attitude about being done. Take care

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Not a good idea to use opiates with suboxone. They can spark cravings and before you know it you'll be doing the opiates all over again. We all know how that goes. Just keep tapering down and you'll be okay. Remember it's mostly in your head and if you can over come that and stay busy you'll be off and not even realize it. I used oc80s and then 30s for 7 years everyday. And I mean everyday using at least 6-10 30s or whatever I could buy that day. I stopped on November 7 2013 and went on subs that I bought on the streets. I bought 10 8mg suboxones and I tapered myself off by Christmas. Since Christmas I haven't had any withdrawals or any sickness. The only thing I took was Benadryl to help me sleep at night. Other than the Benadryl, I didn't need any thing else. I kept busy worked, went to gym, wrote down everything I was feeling. Idk maybe I'm different, but I couldn't go one more day on 30s or subs. I wanted it to be done and never do them again. Think about how much time and effort you put into getting money and then getting the drugs. That was my whole day trying to get money then get the drugs. I put all that effort into stopping and staying clean and it's been good for me. Just think positive and tell yourself enough is enough. It's all in your head, Remember that. The more you think about withdrawal and sickness, the worst the symptoms will be. And trust me it's a lot easier and happier on this side of the fence. I promise you that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there,

I obviously mirror what the others have said. You've come so far already. I didn't have the patience for a taper so I jumped at 4 mg...which in hindsight was stupid of me. My point being if I could come out the other side with only ibuprofen in hand anyone can lol.

I'm a bit of a wuss, but I managed it. To be honest I don't think I needed any opiates to help me through. Thank God, the main reason I came off subs is because I didn't want to be a slave to pills anymore. I'm 19 days clean, and feel great!

Good luck,

Dilly xx