It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I've actually used methadone to taper.. I started out at 15mg and started weening down from there with some days being the equal amount and going down and did that over 9 days and did really good and got down to taking 2.5mg of methadone a day and then nothing and felt good and then failed and got back to doing other things.

My only concern is was it just the methadone still in my system or was it actually working.. because I really think that a 10 day methadone taper is a pretty good way to go if you're dedicated..

What I was thinking about doing because I've been taking subs for about 3 weeks after quite awhile of being stuck on other opiates... and I read its hard to taper with subs and so I was thinking about getting 10-11 metahdones and doing the taper I did previously I just have a lot more at stake now and I am going to go to NA meetings to keep myself clean.

So what I'm curious if doing a taper with Methadone would be a good suggestion.. because I know after about 2 days of no subs I start to feel reallll shitty so I know it would be an okay time to hop onto Methadone...

So just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.. I haven't been doing subs for months on ends so I don't really feel its taken full root into my system.

I will attempt the water method if going the methadone route is really a waste... but I think it works quite well.. I just got too confident and thought ehh a reward after doing so well.. eeek the addict within.. yeah I know..

So some ideas would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wanted to mention how I know a lot of people say replacing one opiate with another is not a good idea.. but I'm doing the methadone route just purely for the longer lasting effects so I can go day to day with my dose decresements and I know using percs or vicodin really isn't a good idea..

Just wanted to toss that out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Im not sure if I understand. Are you trying to use methadone to get off suboxone? Ive never been on methadone but my understanding is that the withdrawals from that are worse than the suboxone withdrawals. In fact, everything I have heard and read says that methadone withdrawal lasts forever and sucks royally. If you are trying to use methadone to come off subs, you might be taking a step backwards- but Im not a doctor.
How much suboxone were you taking a day? Do you have any left? If it were ME, I would use the subs to get off the subs, tapering low and slow. If you were only on for 3 weeks, then you should be able to taper off in like a week or two. You probably wont avoid withdrawal completely, but its the pain of withdrawal that helps us stay clean.
Sorry Im not much help. Good luck and keep posting!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey gubulars -

My opinion... if you have a doctor, consider using that TEAM and formulating a plan. If you don't have a team, then I personally (opinion) believe that if you tapered off methadone (full agonist opiate) - and you were OK, then doing the same thing with suboxone will be similar for you. Switching up, IMO, would just add another variable to the mix - when the outcome you wish is the same. Switching from a partial agonist long life opiate taper - to a slow acting full agonist long life opiate seems like a harder route.

May not be much help, but if you were able to taper methadone successfully (that's a ROUGH THING TO DO!) then you should be fine on the sub taper. I'm not a doctor though.

Good Luck on whatever path you choose! Please keep us posted, those experiences help us all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have not seen very much evidence - real or anecdotal - that would show that methadone is easier to come off of than Suboxone. Everything seems to show that Suboxone is easier to stop than most anything else that is out there in the opiate family. You may be hoping that some other drug will make your withdrawal less painful. It would just seem that from what is currently known, and what people have reported, there is no free ride when stopping opiates. Suboxone does seem to be the easiest and least painful way to go - provided that you do a long and very slow taper to below 0.5mg and even to 0.2 or less if you are able to (perhaps using the liquid method).

I don't have experience coming off of anything other than my various DOC. However, if it were me, I'd stick with the Suboxone, go as low as I can, as slow as I can, and then use the other traditional adjuncts to address the various symptoms post Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for all your great responses.. I think I'm going to go with the water taper process that is posted on the fourm. I think overall honestly Sub Taper would be a better idea just for the mere fact that

A) Longer half life
B) Can't do other opiates (Which with methadone I did all the time)
C) Less chance to go back to my old habits.

So I guess I know my answer and route.. I was really tossing around both Ideas and even cold turkey, but I've done that twice already I had a lot of other things going on that made that happen and coming onto a 3rd cold turkey detox is taking a lot of courage.

So I will start the water taper soon and so I will keep everyone up to date on that progress.

Thanks for everyone's replies... gives me a lot of hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just make sure you get a lot of exercise while you're doing your taper. The reason for going slowly and getting to such a low dose is to let your brain get used to making endorphins again. Exercise helps with that so much. And time helps too.

It's not a painless process but it really isn't bad. You'll feel crappy for a few days every 2-3 weeks, depending on how often you drop your dose. The more you take care of yourself, the easier it will be. A positive attitude helps too.

And please remember that you'll still have urges to use as you taper and when you stop taking Suboxone. Have a plan for how you will deal with that...cause you know what they say: when you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Yeah, I hate slogans, but that one sticks with me for some reason! :lol:

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

dude, you mentioned u hadn't been on subs but three weeks-its not like u been on um for 2 yrs...stick w/sub taper and buck up....my girlfriend did it to be off everything 'mentality ' (then relapsed) but it was painless and she moans about everything. I mentioned relapse for a reason, BTW! Finally , she is on maintainence (chronic relapser that thinks she is different) and doing well. also, you mentioned u had tapered before- you will likely relapse and probably need to stay on yer subs....just sayin, think about it.....point: don't use done and don't think yer 'special' or u will be subject to relapse......good luck and stay clean!!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Diary of a Quitter: Yeah exercise was exactly what I was planning to do... It seemed to help a lot in the past and so thanks for just confirming on something I need to do.. I'm going to sign up for a gym that is close!

I plan to do a nice slow taper from 2mg a day to 1.4mg a day for 10 days, then drop to either .8mg or 1mg a day for 10.. not sure yet.. then drop down .4 and maybe .2

I'm not sure if I should hold those for 10 days or cut these into 5 day periods.. some advice on that would be good.

REMEMBER: I've been on other opiates for a year solid.. but only subs for 3-4 weeks (month) give or take may be 1.5 months from taking them, stopping doing OC for a week and going back, but lately I've been on them for 4weeks give or take.

So maybe a 5 days and then drop..but if 10 days then drop would be more advisable to help the brain recover as you were mentioning.. then maybe spreading it out wont hurt.

indigochild: Yeah you're right.. I need to just do what I gotta do and taper off using subs.. Like you said. I've only been on a few weeks to a month solid and so you have a good point.

You're right the relapse is the hard part.. this is my 3 time detoxing and this I have decided is my last because I just know its not a good road to go down. I'm going to start attending support groups as well because I think that will help me be clean.

And to staying clean is being honest with oneself and don't let a bad day or a certain aches and pains make you think, oh this will be fixed by... well maybe go exercise, or go DJ, or go do something that excites you. It just seems that we use these things as a crutch for being motivated.. Its pretty sad, but at least I know my faults.. it helps getting over the tough times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im not a doctor, but I have done a cold turkey detox off 100 mg of methadone. Hell for 20 days. I just got done doing a cold turkey detox off 4mg of sub. On day 7, not hell. Not fun. but withdrawals are gone, physical ones anyway.

LISTEN PEOPLE, we all know the bottom line here. We have to quit at some point. We have to go through hell at some point. Try try try. I know one thing for sure. To stay clean it takes a lot of commitment. And meetings do help, and being around clean people helps. I know as soon as I put myself around "using friends" I'm finished.

If you can stop, try to stop. Then treat your disease. I'm trying to again this time. My second go around. So far so good, and I cut ties with several people and deleted several #'s. I'm going back to the program, 90 in 90. It worked for me the first time (sort of).

Good luck to all, I would never wish dependence on narcotics to anyone, whether its methadone OC or suboxone, they are all the same. IMO. Dependence is dependence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Todd... I totally agree with you on that.. yeah I'm gonna gonna lower my dose for a few weeks and then go cold turkey once my dose is pretty low.. I think I'm gonna go 5 day, then drop, then 5 days, then drop and so forth.. I think a 10 day decrease would be okay if I had been on subs for a months/years but only a month or so but then again still heavy opiate dependence so maybe ok to go slow too.