It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All,
I had been taking sub for about 5 months and felt ready to stop when I found out about a plant called kratom. It has alkaloids that interact with some of the same receptors that opiates do. Prior to suboxone I had taken methadone for chronic pain for years. I also live with major depression and anxiety disorder. Knowing from past experience the nightmare of depression and anxiety multiplied to the 10th power when I have gone thru detoxes before (I never could complete a methadone detox), I wasn't looking forward to coming off sub.
Well, I ordered some kratom online and started using it while tapering sub and it is now day 9 with NO SUB and I have only experienced minor discomfort. Day 7 felt like the worst day and now I feel I am over the hump. Now, with daily use of kratom it can become habit forming but all of the information I have gotten says it is about as bad as stopping a heavy coffee habit.
I just know it has done wonders for me and ensured my successful goal of stopping sub. My hope is this info can help others.
Sincerely,
CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

this is very interesting. I have never heard of it but just looked it up and it does say it eases opioid withdrawl and its legal here(U.S.). how did you feel after you took it? did it give you an opiate like high? what dose did you stop subs at? even though i am pretty much off subs and wont be needing this i am very interested in how it helped. i know people on this site that are on higher doses might be interested. thanks for the interesting post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I admit, me too, I've been reading about this and it sounds....hopeful. What I wonder is how to get it, do you have to go online and if so how do you know you're not dealing with a scam or is it available in most herb stores or health food stores and so on? Also, I wonder where to get the best info on preparation and dosage. If anyone has more info about it, please share, thanks.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am about to jump soon I never heard of it but I would be interested in hearing more about it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

To answer some of the questions: Does kratom give an opiate like high? It can give a slight euphoria if enough is ingested.
I have only found it on the internet but there are a lot of vendors for kratom. I personally buy from Misty Mountain Herbals. It comes in whole leaf which can be brewed into tea. I prefer the ground leaf powder. One of the best is called Bali. I just put 2-3 teaspoons in a cup of hot water, mix, and drink down. It has a very bitter taste and can be sweetened.

I jumped off sub at 16mgs. I did take a piece 3 times in the first 2 weeks and today is day 9 with nothing but kratom.

For me personally, withdrawals from opiates is PURE HELL. With kratom I have not missed a day of work. It doesn't affect drug screens. And if I have to go thru mild discomfort quitting the kratom it is far better for me than going thru withdrawal from opiates without it.

There is a website, The Kratom Forum, that has a special section for persons who are quitting opiates with the help of kratom.

I hope this helps.
cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Wow! 16 mgs...amazing...i'll be interested to read about this one

Post subject: Be Careful
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would urge anyone considering using Kratom to do a lot of research first. I think we've had members here who had an awful time getting off of Kratom or who found that they became dependent on it after using it to discontinue Suboxone. I will try to search around and see if I can find their posts when I have more time.

I looked into Kratom when I was doing research about Suboxone. From what I've read, the withdrawal can be as bad as opiate withdrawal, with symptoms like pain, restlessness, anxiety, depression and insomnia. So be careful guys.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to echo what DoaQ said, I remember reading stories from members on this forum who used Kratom and were not happy with then having to discontinue it.

I'm not trying to discourage it's use, but Kratom is known to act on the opaite receptors of the brain, please, just be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I checked it out last night I wouldnt be able to ingest it...............if it dont taste good I cant have it lol