It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anyone used this? It seems so obvious in retrospect, but I don't ever remember reading about it. Compunding is where your doctor works with a local pharmacy to make pills in custom amounts. It is pretty widely available and accepted for other meds, so why not Bup? So for example instead of having to jump at 2mg or use the waterdrop method, I get pills made in 1.5, 1.0, 0.5, 0.25 and 0.1 for example. this is great not only for tapering off, but also for those of us who need or choose long term maintenance of a very small daily dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I suppose in theory it makes sense, but I honestly don't know that it could or has been done. I've only used a compounding pharmacy a few times, but I know it wasn't your average, on-the-corner pharmacy - they specialized in compounding. Why not give one a call and just ask if they can do it? And please do let us know what they say.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess i wasn't clear. This is a current option for me. My doc has already done the work and the pharmacy is already compounding the bupe. I just wondered if others have tried this taper and how it worked for them. It seems perfect to me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now this is wonderful. I had to look up compounding, because I'm not familiar with it, but this seems like such an obvious answer to the problem of not being able to create small enough doses. Why isn't this a common thing? However, for those of us on the films now, this won't work will it? We'd have to switch back to tabs, which I wouldn't mind doing at all if it meant I could have them compounded. I'm going to call around today and try to find out if any pharmacies here have done this for Sub. Knowing your doctor already had it done for you at least gives me more hope that they won't say "sorry, it's against the law" or something.

I'm curious what your Sub looks like once it's compounded. This could be the holy grail of tapering off Sub.....

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

id be curious to know if walgreens does it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Other people have mentioned this, but you're the first that has been able to do it. Good on you for being so resourceful. I really hope it works out...I'm confident it will.

Bitzy - I don't know any Walgreens that do compounding. But that doesn't mean none do.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad that this is becoming an option for people who are tapering. Those of us who have done the liquid taper method have basically compounded our own Suboxone dose at home, but not everyone is comfortable with that. I'm sure it is nice to get your meds measured into reliable doses right from the pharmacy instead of having to eyeball it at home.

Best of luck with your taper!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Yeah, but still...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
I'm glad that this is becoming an option for people who are tapering. Those of us who have done the liquid taper method have basically compounded our own Suboxone dose at home, but not everyone is comfortable with that. I'm sure it is nice to get your meds measured into reliable doses right from the pharmacy instead of having to eyeball it at home.

Best of luck with your taper!

DOAQ, you are still the O.S.C. (Original Suboxone Compounder) :lol:, or at least the one who made it famous :wink:

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

May my name live in infamy FOREVER!!!!!!!

-Jack Kornfield