It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most of us know that when a newborn does suffer from NAS and IF the hospital/doctors decide to medicate them, they often use morphine or other full agonists. This study is about using buprenorphine to treat NAS instead of a full agonist.

Here's the link to the study: http://jdc.jefferson.edu/cgi/viewconten ... text=petfp

A clip from the article:

ABSTRACT

AIMS: Over half of infants exposed to opioids in utero develop neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) of severity to require pharmacologic therapy. Current treatments are associated with prolonged hospitalization. We sought to optimize the dose of sublingual buprenorphine in the treatment of NAS.

DESIGN: Randomized, phase 1, open-label, active-control clinical trial comparing sublingual buprenorphine to oral morphine.
SETTING: Large, urban, tertiary care hospital.
PARTICIPANTS: Twenty-four term infants with signs and symptoms of NAS.
MEASUREMENTS: Outcomes were neonatal safety, length of treatment, and length of hospitalization.
FINDINGS: Sublingual buprenorphine was safe and effective. Infants treated with buprenorphine had a 23-day length of treatment compared to 38 days for those treated with morphine (p=0.01), representing a 40% reduction. Length of stay in the buprenorphine group was reduced 24%, from 42 to 32 days (p=0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: Sublingual buprenorphine was safe in NAS, with a substantial efficacy advantage over standard of care therapy with oral morphine.

There's obviously much more to the article/write up, as this is just a short, quick summary. The article is 22 pages long.

What occurred to me was the fact that the few women on our forum whose newborns did suffer NAS I believe they were given morphine or some other full agonist, even though the mom had been on bupe during her pregnancy. Will a study like this lead them to foregoing the full agonists altogether and just stick with tapering an NAS-newborn off the bupe?

Regardless, I thought it was a good study to have here on the forum for our moms and moms-to-be. Knowledge is power!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.