It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on suboxone for 2 years then subutex for about a year. Tapered down to 2mg from 8mg with minimal wd and have been there for 7 months. Recently I obtained 7 10 mg methadone tabs and have taken 20 mg a day for 2 days so far. I will take 15mg then 10, 5. As of now I have had zero WD and think the 4-5 days on the done will clear me of the worst of the sub WD. I have no want or ability to take more done after this rapid taper. Has anybody done this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

There are helpful articles regarding suboxone and methadone, signs and symptoms of addiction, signs of withdrawal, treatment options and the like, at sober dot com. I can't paste urls yet so it may help if someone interested in the subject would just visit the site.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 am 
Subsavedme wrote:
I have been on suboxone for 2 years then subutex for about a year. Tapered down to 2mg from 8mg with minimal wd and have been there for 7 months. Recently I obtained 7 10 mg methadone tabs and have taken 20 mg a day for 2 days so far. I will take 15mg then 10, 5. As of now I have had zero WD and think the 4-5 days on the done will clear me of the worst of the sub WD. I have no want or ability to take more done after this rapid taper. Has anybody done this?

I don't think this is a good idea. Sub w/d is NOT over in 4-5 days. The worst of it is the 4th or 5th day..or 6th, maybe 7th..

I can't imagine your doctor approved this. Going from 2 mg to taking methadone for 4-5 days is INSUFFICIENT, and not even the best way to minimize withdrawal, which is unavoidable.

A better idea would be for you to taper until you reach .25 mg every 48 hours. At that point, I could see MAYBE taking 5 mg of done every 48 hours for a few days.

I'm terrified of the w/d too. Gotta pay to play, unfortunately.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know about this whole process either. But I'm interested in seeing the result.

I've found taht with buprenorphine, because it's a partial agonist, it takes a bit longer to become dependent. With the full agonists, at least for me, dependence comes on a lot faster. If I used heroin / methadone hard for 5 days, I'd be kicking in bed. I was put on bupe for detoxes a couple of times, and I didn't get nearly that dependent. That's the reason they can use buprenorphine in a detox environment, as being on it a few days doesn't leave people too dependent. But a week on methadone does a lot more.

They used to use methadone to help people detox decades ago, in the 80's. But they stopped using it, opting for symptomatic relief with ibuprofen & valium etc.. So I can only assume it wasn't very effective. Now they use buprenorphine for detox, and apparently it's much better than methadone was.

So I don't really understand why you'd use methadone to get off buprenorphine, when you could have just tapered much lower off the Subutex using a liquid taper etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Today's is day 4 and I took 10 mg this morning. Still feel great. Actually better than ever. I don't know that I am going to get walloped with WD as I am stating to love music again and just starting to feel non-zombie like. I will keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 pm 
tearj3rker wrote:
I don't know about this whole process either. But I'm interested in seeing the result.

I've found taht with buprenorphine, because it's a partial agonist, it takes a bit longer to become dependent. With the full agonists, at least for me, dependence comes on a lot faster. If I used heroin / methadone hard for 5 days, I'd be kicking in bed. I was put on bupe for detoxes a couple of times, and I didn't get nearly that dependent. That's the reason they can use buprenorphine in a detox environment, as being on it a few days doesn't leave people too dependent. But a week on methadone does a lot more.

They used to use methadone to help people detox decades ago, in the 80's. But they stopped using it, opting for symptomatic relief with ibuprofen & valium etc.. So I can only assume it wasn't very effective. Now they use buprenorphine for detox, and apparently it's much better than methadone was.

So I don't really understand why you'd use methadone to get off buprenorphine, when you could have just tapered much lower off the Subutex using a liquitarper etc?

Idk where you live, but methadone is still used frequently in the United States for detox. I've been to inpatient (private) detox three times, and each time I was offered methadone as an option. I used it once, and found it quite effective. It is NOT less effective than bupe for (supervised) detox in any way, shape or form. It works better on cravings (obviously) too.

OP probably wants to use methadone after the Suboxone to minimize the pain of tapering, but (s)he is in for a real surprise if they think the plan they laid out at the start of the thread is a good one. Regardless of whether or not they want to use done for a few days, tapering down at LEAST to .5 mg/day of bupe is definitely what is gonna minimize the w/d the most. If I were gonna try the done plan, I'd wait till 48 hrs after my last .5 sub dose and then take a small amount of methadone every 36-48 hours for 3-4 days..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would imagine you feel better because you are taking a full agonist.

By using the word "obtained" I also imagine your doctor did not (and wouldn't) prescribe it. So you have had contact with people you can score drugs from for 2 years?

What is it Dr. Junig said about planning a relapse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I understand exactly where everyone is coming from. I would not recommend this for anyone that has not done the necessary work to be at a place to be off opiates completely. I am not on any other medication, alchahol, or THC. I went through 3 years of thearapy, changed my friends, moved away from the area I grew up, got engaged and have a great job. I tapered down to 1.5 mg waited 36 hours and started this methadone taper. I have been planning on doing this done taper for about 3 months. For the fear of getting off completely was the issue. I have 20 mg left and then I am done for good. I want this more than anything in this universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Were you cut off from taking more Suboxone?

I don't understand why you didn't continue tapering off Suboxone, down to under 0.5mg at least?

Instead you opt for scoring a full agonist, and using it to relieve withdrawal symptoms from Suboxone?

I've been on both methadone & buprenorphine, and I tellsya. It was much harder to reduce my methadone dose than it was to reduce my dose of Suboxone. Suboxone was 2 weeks of withdrawals. Methadone? 3-4 weeks acute, then 4-6 months of sporadic withdrawals. I'd also choose Suboxone withdrawal over methadone any day.

I really wish you luck with your endeavour. I'd suggest dissolving your methadone tablets towards the end so your final doses are as small as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:40 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

@tear3jerker I hear ou on the Done WD and I would never switch from
Sub maintenance to Methadone maintainance. I have been on Sub for 3 years and I am tired of having to rely on a pill every morning. Don't get me wrong, I think sub is a miracle med. It let me make the necessary changes in my life. Now I have an irrational psychological fear of stopping sub. I woke up this morning feeling great. Haven't had sub in 5 days and took 10 mg done yesterday morning. I have 15 mg left and I have changed my plan. I will not take anymore done unless I have sever WD. I will throw out the rest on Tuesday and never look back. I have had zero wd, zero sleep issues, zero uncomfortablenes. I will keep updating. There are some
People that don't wd at all from sub. I think it hinges on where u are in your life psychologically, physically, emotionally etc. check out NJMACDADDY YouTube video. He was going to make a 7 day vid of him coming off sub. It is very encouraging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When you switched to the methadone, did you feel a a high or euphoria? i would be scared if i tried that it would have ruined me??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have never taken methadone (surprisingly, but I wasn't a H user so I had no contacts in that scene) but from what I understand, it is much more potent and as mentioned above is a full agonist. The great thing about Suboxone is that it allows tons of control over your dose. When you get to the lowest doses you can use the liquid method or the strips. I really do not see any reason to use methadone if you have been using Suboxone successfully. Furthermore, you are most likely going to come into contact with people who are not trying to get off when you cop, so that is a whole other issue.

I have heard some people who get off of Sub and want to get high "one last time" when off of Sub. This obviously doesn't work out very well. I think Methadone can provide this. No offense, but you said you "feel great"... well of course you do. You just took a full agonist opiate.

This doesn't seem like a good idea, at the very least it is providing your subconscious self with a "reminder" of what full agonists feel like. Not the best way to go into you first days completely opiate free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I got hung up while I was out of town once, and of course it was right at the end of my prescription. I resorted to take a small dose of methadone and I was hooked again physically in that short 3 days. I felt so bad for taking it, since I had 2 fantastic and healthy years of sub under my belt, it really surprised me and I was really ashamed of myself. This is a really scary situation, I would rather go through sub wd's. When I got home, I of course got right back to my sub to get back on track, and went through precipitated withdrawal. Please be careful!