It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 7.5 yr user subs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I took subutex for 4 yrs and Suboxone going on another 4 yrs. At first they helped me out then they became a crutch. The whole time I took these meds I was drinking casual. Then my drinking became a problem. I was hospitalized twice with pancreatitis. Fucking shit that was the worst pain I have ever felt I wanted to die. Is there any other genius out there like my self who have drank on this medication and gone threw hell? I am on2mg a day. Ready to quit. I think my mg's are so low that if I tapper off I should be ok. What do you Suboxone users think ?

Post subject: Re: 7.5 yr user subs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Houston, it's not unusual for people to use/drink while on Subs, that's the kind of thing that we addicts do (don't know if you're in that category, but I know that I am).

If Subs became a crutch, alcohol or something else could become a crutch too after your jump, something to watch out for.

Ya, tapering down from 2 mg per day is totally doable, but it can get a bit dicey once you get down to 1.5 or 1 mg/day. Sleep can become a problem, along with other withdrawal symptoms. But it's totally manageable, nothing killer. I've been off Subs almost 4 months, and I'm really glad this drug is behind me.

Good luck.

-- ji

Post subject: Re: 7.5 yr user subs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Houston,

I'm not currently in the process of tapering right now, but I have read many members success stories here of using a long slow taper off 2 mgs. I'm sure that one of them will chime in with their tapering schedule they used, but one that seems pretty standard is to stabilize on the current dose of two mgs, and stay there for one to 2 weeks, then 1.75 mgs, again stabilizing for a week or two, then 1.5 mgs, then 1.25, then 1mg then .75 mgs, then. 5mgs, .25 mgs, .125mgs etc, and some go even lower, stabilizing at each new dose before dropping to the next lowest, and going back up or taking an emergency dose if you're feeling too bad or unstable, or feel you're in danger of relapse. This is just one of many different tapers I've read about, and isn't necessarily one that I'm suggesting you follow. Just using it as an example. In the stopping suboxone section, you can read more taper plans that members here have been successful with. I wish you much success with your taper and eventual jump.