It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:oops: I'm 1 day new to this forum and still trying to figure out how to navigate thru it. My history is long & my experiences complicated...here's a brief insight into a lengthy background. I was addicted to opiate pain meds.(drug of choice), and "messed around with" several other substances for over 35 years. I have been off illicit drugs for 13 years. Because of my age and length of time "using" the last 13 years of trying to detox from assisted therapy drugs has ben tumultuos. I've faced conquered a lot of demons. My most recent demon is disguised as a Suboxone Doc. I am having several issues which are defnitely unscrupulous practices and probably border on unethical & unprofessional.

Although my issues have arisen from my own experiences I am even more concerned about the addicts trying to recover who could potentially have their recovery thwarted....in several ways, but his greed is dangerous. His practice doesn't show any indication of efforts to help patients d/c suboxone. His practice has been booking 3 patients into each 15 min. appt. slot. I've seen pts. enter & leave his office within 5 minutes...it's like a revolving door. That skims a part of that particular issue.

The main issue of my own that I am trying to research involves possible Medicare fraud. I am a Blue Chip for Medicare pt. and have recently suspected that he has filed at least 1 claim inappropriately.

So.......how can you help me?
Also, my tme zone should be GMT-5hrs. How do I change that?
AND.....is anyone out there from RI?

Thanks all...I tink I will probably be hanging around here for awhile.

Post subject: Luna-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi, I am not from your area, but I wanted to reply to your post because I hope I can help in some way.
First off, I have witnessed doctors offices doing exactly what you described. I have a cousin who sees a doctor who runs his practice that way. He sees her for maybe four to five minutes, if she is not finished talking or asking questions...too bad He is walking out the door on to the next patient. It is sad and I hate it for her because around here sub docs are few and it is hard to even get an appointment. The first thing he told her day one of her seeing him was that he would be expecting her to be on suboxone for the rest of her life. He is like 65 at least, she is only 31. He won't even be alive for the rest of her life, what will she do when he is no longer running his 4min sub pushing practice? I also heard if a patient pushes him to do a taper he kicks them out of therapy. Talk about un-ethical.

I am lucky in that area. I had to wait three weeks for my first appointment, but I LOVE my Psychiatrist whom I see for my suboxone therapy. She is great because she is able to provide counseling as well as prescribe the suboxone. So my best suggestion for you would be for you to find another sub doctor and set up an appointment asap. Then just continue to see your current doc until you can get in with a better doctor. I highly suggest searching out a psychiatrist for your sub therapy, this would help you out with eliminating a lot of the problems you are having.

I do not know how to change the time zone thing... I'm kinda new here too!

Post subject: Great Name
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:09 pm 

Love the name Luna-C!

Welcome to our forum. I'm not completely sure about the time zone thing but it should be in your profile. Click on edit or change and see if you can adjust it. Not that it really matters. Who cares what time zone you are in!

As far as unscrupulous doctors, I would Google it a couple of ways and see what organization you come up with to report it to. It hurts all of us when a Sub Dr. makes it so easily available. We have had so many people post here that can't even get in to see a Sub Dr. and then you have the one's you're talking about. No one is perfect and he may not even be breaking any rules. But I do see your point.

Happy to have you as a member.

rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

GreatestLove,,,Thanks for your support & encouragement. I empathize with your cousin and her experience. I am researching my options for other Docs in my area but it has been difficult. The Doc in this area who has the greatest of reputations as a Sub prescriber does not accept BlueChip for Medicare insurance. There is a clinic in the area with an "iffy" reputation but will not bill insurance companies. Pts are expectated to pay up front then submit claims to their insurers. Unfortunately in such a small state I don't have a lot of choices. There are Docs in other specialties who have been certified to prescribe Sub but aren't very knowledgeable. The Dr to whom I have been referring is a Psychiatrist specializing in Geriatric psychiatry, not addiction medication. About a year ago he added a female Dr to his Sub clinic and I did transfer to her. She is a family practice Dr with no experience in addiction but supposedly listened to the 8 hr video which I understand is the only qualification for becoming certified. I switched to her anyway so that I would not need to have any direct contact with the original guy. But he still controls what goes on.

I have a few questions that I need to clear up before I decide whether I should follow thru with a complaint. Being unethical and unprofessional does not constitute anything illegal. I want to have some clarity regarding what would constitute a complaint which would prompt an in-depth investigation.

Enough said for now. Again, thanks for the post.

Luna-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear Rule62,,,,,Thanks for your reply. As you can tell I am frustrated with this situation and hope to find some answers not only for myself but for all addicts in recovery who could be negatively impacted by his practices. If you read my reply to the post by GreatestLove it will give you a bit more insight into my experience....and I won't have to attempt to repeat myself.

I don't yet know about the participants in this forum but got the impression that you are a professional in this field. If so, may I ask you some questions that I have about if and how I should proceed with this. If it isn't your expertise, is there another professional in the forum who could give me some direction?

Thanks a lot, Luna-C
(PS,,,,glad you like my user name....it is sooo appropriate. And if I'm having a bad full moon experience I tell people that I channel my evil twin, Luna-tic! :)

Post subject: Experts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 am 

Sorry Luna-C,

I am no professional in relation to this forum. Considering it is a tad late in the evening, I'll need to think this one over and post back tomorrow. Hopefully, someone with more experience on these matters will chime in and relieve me of doing some research.

The answers are out there, one just needs to know where to look.

Rule