It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a 34 year old male who has had the great misfortune to have many orthopedic/spine problems. I have had chronic pain since my first arthroscopy of my left knee in 1999. One week out from surgery it was found that I had developed a staph infection, which in turn wasted away almost all of my cartilage. I had a second arthroscopy a month later to lean out the infection since the oral antibiotics did not work. This changed during surgery from an outpatient case to an inpatient case because they placed IV tubing in the top of my knee joint and a suction drain at the bottom on the opposite side. Through which they came in every 2 hours for 12 hours to run 50cc's of D5W and Rocefan and leave it in my knee then 30 minutes later they came in and opened the drain to remove the fluid and flush out anything that may be left of the infection. This was quite a painful experience even with 6 mg of Morphine that they gave me at the same time. So over 12 hours I received 36 mg of Morphine and went home the next morning with a script for hydrocodone 7.5's. Needless to say the constipation was a great issue and something I had never experienced before and I will just leave it at that.

In 2004 I had another arthroscopy of that left knee. This was by a different doctor who was my Sports Medicine/Orthopedic Surgeon; he came out to me after the surgery and told me that no one should ever go into that knee again because there was nothing left. I asked him what could be done to help with this constant pain I was going through since I was riding bone on bone and his response was: you need a total knee replacement but you are way to young for that. So, we rand the gambit with Suparts and Hyangan injections twice. The first time it gave me some relief for about 6 months and a year later had another round of injections which had little effect.