It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:53 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My husband and I are in such a jam!! Thanks to the man who has been treating us with sub for the past year. 2 years for my husband. We always knew he wasn't a great doctor...always coming in with the same little routine for every person he sees. But this is unimaginable! He has been tapering my husband down at a rapid rate...and on his last appointment my husband told him that he needed to slow down...he was feeling depressed and overwhelmed... (the doc was bringing him down from 2 mg to 1 mg). Since he has been down under 4, I have noticed a change in him... But the doc has kept bringing him down even when he asked at his last appt to slow down...When he asked, the doctor told him that he HAD to taper, and that he could go FASTER if necessary! Then he stormed out of the room. Well, my husband couldn't handle the one mg...he was feeling withdrawals very bad so he has been taking 2 to stay ok...even thought he still doesn't feel right and I see him getting closer to wanting to use again..because he is running out of sub and has been borrowing from me so now I am running out. I hate having to feel like this again...this junkie feeling of running out of your drug and what are you going to do next...We have been searching for a new doc who will help him so he won't have to take mine or to end up using...because his doctor will not bring him back up to a dose he is comfortable with...it's truly inhumane...I am a worried mess...Sorry if this is incoherent. I just tried ther patient matching thing through NAABT and we will see...What do you do in this position? you had to take more than your doc would give you because you had cravings and WD symptoms on less than 2 mg and when u told him he would not help you and actually got mad at you for telling him how you were feeling....So now what do you do if you can't find a new doc who will help in time? Go to the ER? I am at a loss here and I am pissed that this is happening! I thought doctor were supposed to help people...It's not like my husband is being unreasonable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am sorry that your Dr is not listening to your husband and forcing his taper. Besides finding a new Dr I am not sure what else you can do. The ER is legally allowed to give your husband a script for 3 days worth of sub. I am not sure if many ER Drs are aware of this or would be willing to do it. A 3 day script doesn't help him much anyway.

What dose are you on? If you can get by on 1mg less a day that is probably your best bet until you find a new Dr.if your husband is willing to drive further then you may have an easier time finding a new Dr. In the meantime you can still look closer to home or get on a waiting list. I have read that some methadone clinics will prescribe sub so you could check your local clinic. Lastly there are psychiatrists and pain management Drs that can prescribe sub but do not advertise it. You could get the phone book out and just start calling and asking if they prescribe sub.

I have no idea why some Drs do this to their patients. It seems to undermind his entire treatment to force him off when he is not ready. I completely understand your anger and wish I had more to offer. Remind him of all the progress he has made and not to let it be in vain. I hope you find a new Dr very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you so much! I needed some encouragement... this is the most stressful situation! I knew that the ER could give you sub but your right, the question is would they? Or would they look at him like another junkie trying to get over on someone. This is what we are beginning to feel like and it seems so unfair to have paid our doctor all this money for this cookie cutter treatment he gives...and then when it comes down to it, he is trying to get rid of my husband so he can get the induction fees from new patients...I just don't see what else would make him so pissed off when my husband told him how hard it had been for him getting down under 3 mgs. On top of it all, I am a student, he works full time, and we have 2 young children. We don't have a lot of time to waste in a situation like this. I feel like this doctor is awful and actually knows very little about addiction. I am willing to drive a good ways to find a dcotor that will help us the way I thought suboxone treatment was intended.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to read and respond, it means so much to me...I really need to talk to people who understand!!