It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: URGENT PLEASE HELP!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so I have been on Suboxone for about 6 weeks now and doing really well. I decided to go to extensive outpatient to help with staying sober and healthy. They do regular drug screens as well as my Suboxone doctor. My counselor informed me today that I tested positive for Morphine!! I was floored and thought she was kidding at first. I asked for a copy of the test and sure enough it showed a "strong" positive. I understand the Norbuprenorphine and Buprenorphine showing up because of the Suboxone but Morphine!!?? I immediately called my doctor and had the nurse pull my drug screen and sure enough that one showed positive for Morphine as well. Both are threatening to dismiss me from treatment and I dont know what to do. I swear I DID NOT use Morphine. I havent even taken an aspirin since I got clean. Even in my active addiction I never used Morphine. Why would this happen and how??!!! None of them believe me and think I am lying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

I would find out what substances can cause positives for morphine other than actual morphine. Here is a link that might help: http://atwatchdog.lefora.com/2012/10/10 ... alse-posi/

I hope this helps! All current addiction studies know that addiction is a chronic, relapsing disorder and therefore treatment should not be stopped because of something like a positive drug test, even if it was from actual morphine! It makes me sick that an addict could be kicked out of a program for behaving like an addict. I realize this is not the case with you. I hope the link helps you figure out why you may have tested positive.

Amy

Post subject: False Positive
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:15 pm 

I would ask (demand) a re-test but from another manufacturer. Maybe even go to the pharmacy and buy one of the take home kits, try it and see what happens, if it's good, go back and buy another to bring into the office to show them right there.

Sorry you're going through a false positive, but it happens. But two tests came up positive for morphine? That is very strange.

Good luck if you can re-test.

r

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

False positives are a common occurence in drug testing. Rule62 gave you some good advice on trying another drug test (preferrably a different brand) or you could ask your doctor if they can send your original sample out for more thorough testing.

Post subject: false positive
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. I did ask the counselor to have my sample retested and I hope they do a in depth analysis to see where this is coming from. I offered to take a blood test, hair strand test and a lie detector. The problem with me doing another test now is that it is almost a month after the positive came back so it kind of mutes the point. I have never taken morphine but I assume it is a pretty serious drug. And s counselor or doctor would know by observation if someone was high from using it, or sick because they take Suboxone. Some might say I am overreacting....but I know what I do on a daily basis and taking morphine or any other drug has NOT been part of my routine. This is making me sooo mad, I just cant let it go.

Post subject: Ask them this....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Are they using drug tests that show the actual drug or tests that show the active metabolite of a drug? The tests that show actual drugs are NOT ACCURATE it has been proven over and over. The tests that check for the metabolites the chemical your body produces after you have taken a drug and your body has converted it ARE accurate and really cannot be argued with. Like Buprenorphine for example, it will show up on an active metabolite test as NORbuprenorphine the by product your body coverts the drug into before expelling it. Generally speaking you will not metabolize a substance you have not ingested, well because that would be pretty much impossible. So ask if you can be tested for metabolites instead of actual Drugs. That may help clear things up.

Post subject: Just a thought...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First of all, I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Secondly, (and I am in NO way accusing you of anything here),
but IF you happened to eat ANYTHING with poppy seeds-
such as a bagel or a muffin, then something like that WILL come up positive
for morphine. How do I know? Because I have been on subs for over 6+ years;
had been drug-tested by my sub doc every month for all of those years;
and this had happened to me. Just a thought.

Either way, I hope that this gets resolved,
and that you can continue with treatment.

Sincerely,
-ex-