It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Kind of an urgent question, probably should be asking this to a suboxone doctor but I don't know who to call? So maybe one of you can help? All I know is I can't go throught WDs again. I know it wont be easy this way but better than nothing. I'll try and give you some background information on me so you can idea of what the hell is going on

I've been prescribed suboxone for over 2 years now and xanax for over 4, yes they had me on both, didn't know how bad the combo is until now. I saw one doctor for suboxone & one for my xanax. At the start of "treatment" I was at around 3-4 8mg of suboxone a day and around 4mg of xanax a day. Most recently I was down to probably 1-2mg of suboxone a day and 1 .25mg of xanax a day. I was doing these dosages up until I lost my insurance. My insurance ended in May.

I was then getting subs off "friends" while trying to find a way to get insurance, so it was just getting my by but prolonging the inevitable. Before my insurance ended my doctor started to wean me off of suboxone, my goal was to be completely clean. When the freebies ran out the withdrawals came hard from no xanax/suboxone. Went and did this outpatient detox program for a few days but It didnt really help. I'm finally off the xanax and I was off the suboxone for a few days. The past couple months have been beyond stressful so I ended up buying suboxone, it helped my anxiety. So I've been taking up 1/2mg, 4mg here and there, for the most part very low dosage, 1-2mg I'd say, I'd make an 8mg last me a few days. I can't go back to detox but I want to end this suboxone nightmare for good. I was able to talk with a "friend" and she can give me 10 8mg subs to help me wean off. Does anyone know a correct plan to get off the suboxone so I don't withdrawl. I know I only have 10 strips but I believe since I was clean not too long ago and that I'm only on a small amount that I should be able to taper off with these 10? Can anyone give me a gameplan? Should I try to call my old sub doctor and ask her for advice or my PCP? I just dont want them to ask how I got suboxone I have when I haven't been in to them since May.

EDIT: I also have some clonidine, vistiral and such on me from my last detox. In case those could be incorporated into weaning me off this time at all.

My apologizes for rambling on and I appreciate any help!

Take care guys!
-tgod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you had a good track record with your sub doc why not ask for generic sub? If you can get by on 2mg a day its not that expensive at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi T and welcome to the forum. My first idea is to get back in touch with your sub doctor and ask if s/he has any slots open in the patient assistance program. It's through the manufacturer and is for uninsured patients below a certain income. If qualified it covers one's meds for a whole year.

If that doesn't work and it was me in your shoes, I'd stop taking so much sub at a time. It's very strong and you can likely take smaller doses to get yourself out of withdrawals when they hit. I would try to take the smallest dose you can then wait as long as possible until you can't take it anymore (take clonidine then) and then again, take only what's necessary to get you out of withdrawals, etc. Did that make sense?

There's lots of ways someone could work out a taper plan with what you have, but that's something you could work out on paper and share with us and we could give you our opinions on it. You just want to taper as long and low as you can. And you'll need to first ascertain what the smallest amount is that you need right now.

Keep in mind I've never done this, it's only my opinion based on learning about quitting sub and sub withdrawals from being a mod on this forum for 3.5 years. So take what you will from my post.

Either way, I wish you the very best. Try not to think of this as a "suboxone nightmare". You were already hooked on opiates to begin with. Suboxone isn't a free pass to get away from that addiction w/o any withdrawals. Someday, we all have to go through it - it's just best to do a long, slow taper and suffer much less, if at all.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on how you're doing. Again, welcome! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Try adding some vitamins and supplements to your detox. I take l-tyrosine, NAC 600, kavanase, and 5 hour energy split up a few times a day. Plus I take milk thistle which helps detox the liver, but I googled milk thistle and suboxone and found some interesting info. Milk thistle is found to help prolong the suboxone absorbsion into the bold stream so it lasts longer.