It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Upset with Sub dr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been frustrated with my sub dr for prob about 6 months. I have been seeing this dr for over 2 years and usually never had a problem. I will try to explain the best I can so hopefully I can get some answers. The dr started out with urine screens at every appt and sent them automatically to the lab. i never failed a drug test. About 6 months ago I went to my appointment and for the first time the dr was running really late because he had a maintenance man fixing his heating and air. He finally brought me back and apologized but said unless I had a pressing issue he would write my script and send me on my way BC he had to deal with the maintenance problem. He said he would allow me more time next month Bc he cut this appt short. I was fine with that and took my script and left. I drive almost an hour to get there and an hour back. About halfway home I realized he didn't do a drug screen. I just thought he didn't do one bc of the Maintenance issue and bc I never had a bad screen before he just opted not to do one this time bc of time constraints...I go back the next month and he pulls out my chart and says I showed NO suboxone in my system. At first I'm stunned bc I take my meds and my father holds them and gives them to me so the results can't be right. Then it dawns on me that he didn't even give me the test!!!! I remind him and he says that he DID give me the test bc he does the same routine for every patient and he would not have forgotten to give me the drug screen. i remind him of the maintenance man and the short appt but he still says he gave me the test! I'm upset and crying at this point bc he doesn't remember and most important, HOW THE HELL DID THEY SUBMIT A SAMPLE WHEN I DIDNT GIVE ONE? He says he'll overlook it. I left with my script and upset he didn't believe me. I am still in shock abt that one. the next appts went smoothly except one of those he reminded me abt the test(the one he didn't give me!) and again lectured me about taking my meds! I chose not to argue bc he refuses to admit he made a mistake and I need him. he switched to saliva tests in the last 3 months btw. My latest appt on 4-4-15. I go back and he says that my test showed the suboxone, but it also shows I had traces of HEROIN! As God as my witness I don't do heroin! My drug of choice when I was using was pain pills! I did not do heroin and I have been freaking out ever since this appt. wth is up with this dr? I went into hysterics bc now I he thinks I had 2 bad drug screens. He doesn't believe me I know. He said since I've been a long time patient he would not dismiss me and let me go into another room to calm down but before he closed the door he asked me to try and remember if anyone shady was in my house and could have done something! I swear I'm in shock and now afraid to go back bc what happens the next time? I don't trust this office anymore and I have no recourse unless I want to spend a huge amount on another dr. I DO NOT do heroin and I take only the drugs he prescribes! Wth do I do. Please if someone could respond, I would appreciate it. How can the saliva test show heroin? I don't do heroin!

Post subject: Re: Upset with Sub dr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't want to be a pest but if anyone sees this, please give me your opinion. I received a private message from a very nice member who adv I should prob just let all this go and I guess she's right bc I don't have the $ to start over. I looked up the lab that does the testing on my insurance claim and thought about calling them to investigate. I just don't want to anger the DR. I am new here and love this sight by the way. The dr for this sight is so knowledgeable and really understands addicts and their behaviors. It's nice to not feel so alone! We are good people who are trying to do right. I hate the stigma and wish there could be something done to change people's prejudice. Have a great evening everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 pm 

Hi Dawn,

It seems you've run into another doctor who thinks he's God. There are far too many of them in my opinion. Our Dr. Junig is so wonderful that it's hard to be confronted by one who is not.

I have a question. What is the routine usually? Does a MA or the front desk person handle any part of the UA process? Do they hand you the cup or do you deliver it to them? The reason I ask is that if they screwed up their part by letting you leave without getting a UA, they could have covered their own asses by "creating" a sample for you from someone else's pee including their own!

Other than that I don't really have any ideas for you. Keep your head down and carry on. Maybe it's not just you that is testing positive for a trace of heroin. Maybe your doctor is hearing other sub patients saying the same thing as you. Anyway, good luck with your situation and I hope your doctor doesn't pull anything else!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 pm 

Hey Dawn,
I have to agree here that keep doing all the right things you have been. You do t sound like a wave maker. As Amy stated something went afoul there somehow. The Dr is confused or has been getting the wroug information.
Play it cool, and it ll be ok ..
I have spent t some time building a stock of sub for unseen problems. Many people do.Have you?
You can do it with very small doses or more. This way if tbi gs go wroug you will have meds onboard till you find a ew Dr. I know this is on the wroug side of this conversation, just wa ted you to consider this now and for the future.

Best of Luck Dawn, it ll be ok..

Razor..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone. I think that had to have been what happened. There wasn't a sample from me so I would bet money someone was covering their butts! That's the only explaination. After I walk in to see the dr, I sit down and go over any issues and then he hands me the test. Until the last 6 months I always did urine tests but the last 6 months he changed to saliva tests. I hold it under my tongue until the tape turns blue and then place it in a bag for the lab. I am not going to make a big deal about it as I really have no choice. I do not do heroin though. I am going to start putting some back though. Thanks for the advice. It's really appreciated it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

****HELP PLEASE****
I started in this forum yesterday due to problem with my dr. If you don't mind, can you read my posts from yesterday so I don't have to go over the whole sordid story again? Well cut to today. I just got a call from dr saying he received a letter in the mail from the Feds that says starting June 1st of this year, Medicare would not cover my prescriptions unless it was prescribed from a dr contracted through Medicare! I can't believe this! I asked him if this had anything to do with my last visit and he said absolutely not but I don't believe him. Does anyone know about this?? This is just too much and I'm about to call a lawyer. I HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG and it's just one issue after another. I don't know what I'm going to do. Please anyone with any knowledge of this please respond. I Am literally a mess. Who can I call?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:00 pm 

Hey Dawn,

So sorry to hear about these issues going on with ur Dr all of a sudden. I'm like u, I'd be freaking out! Honestly I think that's all of us sub patients worst nightmare. Now concerning this new issue with ur Medicare, call Medicare directly. I unfortunately don't have insurance, so I'm not quiet sure how that all goes, but wouldn't ur insurance contact u to tell u that also? If I were u, I'd be finding that info out personally. I'm not trying to say this Dr is lying but find out this info for urself. And if that is the new rule or whatever, make the insurance give u a list of doctors u can see with phone numbers. Get on the list with these places now since u have til June. I know I'd be in a panic like u right now too, so call ur insurance today and give urself some peace of mind.

Good luck Dawn. Everything will work out, just get on top of this right now so u can be fully prepared. If ur insurance says this isn't what ur Dr is saying and it's a big fat lie, I'd be calling them and ask why they're telling u this bogus information.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:08 pm 

Dawn,
I totally agree with Jenn you need to find out just what the Medicare rules and laws are in your state and what and how loug they sill cover sub treatment.
If tnis Dr said no, then he more than likely is telling the truth. The timing of all of this would make me believe otherwise but it very well may be a coincidence. .
Be pro active here and ask the Feds whats up. As jenn said it is our worst nightmare losing our meds, but believe it ll work out in the end.
This is one reason for the stock up. I do nope you find some answers soon..

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is no way I, nor most of us here can know what your states Medicaid rules are. This likely is not from the "Feds" or federal government but more likely your state. Both private insurance as well as government programs undergo all sort of changes. The thing is, these can only apply if you have them pay for your meds. Many people find it very difficult to pay out of pocket for sub. Still, that solves your problem and if nothing else will weed out if your doc is pulling something here - which I doubt he is. Tell your doc you'll pay out of pocket for your sub. Now, this could trigger medicaide refusing to pay your doctor bill as well. I'm not saying any of this is right or easy but they can only make these rules when they pay the bills. When you pay the bills you get to make the rules. If nothing else this buts you time while you get this solved without paying for your own meds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with jen and dohn. I would definitely advise against retaining an attorney at this point as it will consume a lot of money and will increase tensions with the doctor's office. I know how something like this causes panic, but I would suggest trying to build a little stockpile for "emergency coverage", while you get the information from Medicare. And, as mentioned, one option, if you don't want to go to different doctor, may be to pay for the medication yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is this a medicare issue, or a Medicaid issue? Very different programs and coverages. In our state Medicaid patients are not allowed to purchase uncovered medications, doesn't matter what the patient or doctor wants, they have control of care, at least for controlled substances and procedures.
If you have Medicare then you may have signed up for, or transitioned to a policy that has a network. Some of these are very narrow and yes you must stay within the Network to get services covered. As someone mentioned earlier start with your carrier, usually they will be sending you a letter at the same time the physician is notified. Ironically, they can require you use their network doctors, but they are under no obligation to make sure that you can be taken care of within their network. Happens frequently with specialty care, not just Suboxone. This is not necessarily a medicare issue, but a policy issue, there are dozens of insurance companies and drug benefit companies involved with medicare.
To illustrate, MEDICA offers multiple plans, one plan is managed by a company that authorizes, Suboxone but not Subutex: another MEDICA plan managed by a different drug management company authorized Subutex, but not Suboxone. Both offer Zubsolv but at a higher tier with a higher copay.

Consider checking with the Dr's office to get contact information, "the Feds" is not very helpful, there is no phone book listing for F'd up Insurance Plans and Policies, LLC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys..I just got home from my daughters singing lessons and while she was in there, I was looking up everything. It seems in my state, what the dr said is true. Medicaid takes place immediately but fortunately Medicare is giving me until 6/1/15. So I'm sorry I freaked out and sounded like a lunatic. Thanks for everyone's reply. I am just gonna find another dr or pay for my own meds. It was just so fishy with everything else that's happened. On top of this my mom has been diagnosed with stage 4 adrenal cancer! If it wasn't happening to me, I wouldn't believe it. I'm still upset with my dr though. I can't wrap my mind around these past drug tests. I can't believe I said I was going to call an attorney. Lol. I can't afford my meds so how the hell was I gonna get an attorney? Ha ha ha. So please forgive me for being a drama queen and thanks for everyone's replies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to verify-- docm2, have you ever had a network, in or out of medicare, that wouldn't pay for meds ordered by non-network docs? We had one insurer in Wisconsin that tried to stop covering meds ordered by non-network docs, but the policy was dropped very quickly because of overwhelming complaints. We have a requirement with mediCAID that meds are only covered of the doc is registered with Medicaid... which was part of the affordable care act... but they created a way for docs to register with Medicaid without participating, so that meds would be covered even if the docs don't accept Medicaid.

I hear often about docs claiming one thing or another that has no basis in truth, to avoid having to confront patients... dawn, are you positive that the information is correct? Given the very high number of psychiatrists who do not participate with Medicaid or medicare, I'm very surprised that a medicare insurer would get away with this policy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone! This is my first post. I will definitely introduce myself but felt the need to address this first as it is the reason for me to hit "REGISTER" just a little sooner :).

I am from Canada so bear with me if what I say is not as easy as it sounds, but like you these type of situations bother me as well ( who wouldn't I guess? ) but maybe I really feel for you because I can relate to some past experience. Either way here it is.

1) You explained that your father holds your meds. Is your Dr. aware? If not maybe this should be the start. If he is aware I suggest you get your father to intervene as this makes it more credible. I do understand that this could be very hard to explain to your father depending on the relationship so if that's a no-go then my apologies.

2) Blood Work and/or HairConfirm (Hair Test). For me it would be for security personally and medically. HairConfirm tests the hair follicle and will give results for ATLEAST the past 30 days but can go up to 6 months even more I have been told. And the blood test to do on the same day of your next appointment. Not telling the Dr. this until he gives you the results. This way shows you were proactive and also will prove that you have been taking suboxone and nothing else. Suboxone stays in blood for a very long time and even a lot longer in the hair after your last dose. Even on a standard urine or saliva test it will show suboxone after your last dose for at least 10 days. I understand this all costs money over there but not sure how much so hopefully this is not useless to you!

Also on many standard tests Heroin shows up in same category as Morphine, Opium, basically all "natural" Opiates ( Opioids are synthetic such as oxy, hydro, and show up in different category ) just wanted to add that.

Its really late here and my mind is turning off, I know I have much to add but atm feel I will end up rambling off so I will leave it at that. I will Check tomorrow and start back up and please feel free to PM me or ask here anything you would like and I will do my best to help.

Just realized how many months went by. I hope everything is sorted and if not fully, I hope this could be of use.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 am 

Hey Toronto Dude!

Welcome! I wanted to let you know that this thread is from April, so if no one gets back to you tomorrow that's probably why. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey Amy!

Thank you! I noticed right after I posted but figured it may be beneficial still. Thanks for being so kind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think some of these drs. are crazy lol i went to see my dr. i have been with for 5 yrs. and he came in and i said hello how are and he said we have a problem- now mind in the back the lady that does the drug screen is late and so i sad oh no she is not here and im smiling and he says we have a problem and i said oh well the other lady came and we did test- dr, says you are dilute and i think your sharing or selling them- im like what?? i take my meds everyday so i said i dran coffee and water because i had trouble going pee. i said well i dont know- he looked and said well i cant do this- i said do what he said- your dropped after 5yrs. and here is good bye script for 1 week and your lucky i gave that to you hahahha funny some dr. are judge and jury and olde drug screen makes me crazy-so it took 3 weeks to dr. again crazy crazy dr. :D