It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: It's an Update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, It's been a while since I last posted. Thought I'd give you all an update on how my treatment played out.

I'm not sure If I posted this last time I was here, but I did in fact find a Doctor that was willing to treat me. I was inducted on 16 Mg. I stayed at that dose for four months, two months after that I tapered down to 10 mg, two months after that to 8 mg, two months after that to 4 mg, two months after that to 2 mg, two months after that, I was completely off and 100 percent sober for the first time in 4 years.

I made the final jump June 2 2015. I've been clean an sober for ten months.

I feel absolutely amazing. I have a full time job, I'm debt free and I have money in both my wallet and bank account. Suboxone saved my life. Who knows where I would be now if I hadn't made the decision to get on it.

I am also glad that I didn't stay on Suboxone for longer than what was necessary for me to get my life together. At the beginning of my treatment I played around with the idea of being a "lifer". However, after long and thoughtful consideration I realized life term maintenance was NOT in my best interest.

One thing I will note is that withdrawing from Suboxone was BY FAR the easiest and most painless withdrawal I've ever gone through. I jumped at a relatively high dose too, approximately 1.5 mg. I was also surprised at how short lived it was. The acute withdrawal only lasted about 8 days and it was no where near as severe as Heroin. I was actually able to get a full nights rest each and every day of the acute withdrawal. Something unheard of when detoxing from Heroin.

Well, Long story short, I made it and I feel great.

If you're someone who's suffering from opioid addiction, do yourself a favor and get on Suboxone. For those of you in treatment and or already on Suboxone, keep at it, you're on the right path. To everyone else, be thankful for your sobriety, I know I am.

Sunshine is far away, clouds linger on
Everything I possessed - Now they are gone

Post subject: Re: It's an Update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:05 am 

Congratulations on your successful recovery!!

We really appreciate you sharing your story because so many times all we hear about are the tapering and detoxing horror stories! Your story should fill people with hope. It is completely possible to taper and step off without being completely miserable!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:33 am 

Awesome update!! Like Amy, I believe we need more positive stories for ppl who's stopped suboxone. Great post and good job :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just wanted say how grateful I'am for your update, hydro have been my thing for years and finally have gotten to the point where something has to be done, taking a beating financially, so anyway I didn't know there was an option outside of in/out patient treatment, N/A, etc...and methadone, finally friend of mine discovered this option and said he would be the guiena pig and try it first, so he did and he's having success with it, my initial appointment is next Thursday, 1/19/17, and I was reading thru the forum that I just discovered today and to be honest wasn't very encouraged by what was being said, between trouble with surgeries to being on it for years which is not what I want I was starting to feel hesitant, until I read your comment subject line update, and was enlightened and encouraged by it, I feel like now that I can do it, my question is did you have to tell your dr that you didn't want to be on it forever or did he just automatically include that in your "recovery" plan? Thanks again for your help and for what you said

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rippin,

That's good to hear. I too am encouraged to read ms's story. I've been on buprenorphine for about 7 weeks and I can't tell you how grateful I am for this medication.

Bear in mind, people tend to write about their problems in a forum like this because they need help. And most of them get it. But when things are going great, they're less likely to take the time to write about it. I's just human nature. That's why a story like the above is so gratifying.

As to your question, always discuss things like that with your doctor. Most of them will make the assumption
that you're going to be on this medication for a lengthy period of time. I told my doctor at the clinic I go to
I'd like to taper down to a very low dose over time. Perhaps a year, Maybe more depending how it goes. But he's fine with it. You're in charge of your own recovery, ultimately.

You're in the right place. Everyone here will be pulling for you. Keep posting!

Best wishes
Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 pm 

Hi Rippin, and welcome to the forum!

My answer is a bit different than Godfrey's. And others will be different from mine.

The first Suboxone doctor I saw in 2010 put me on a very high dose of Suboxone. I tapered down myself and they got mad at me for not following their instructions. It was just waaaaay too much! But their plan was supposedly long term, tapering very slowly over the years. Today, because of the patient cap, they expect the bulk of their patients to be off it within one year. They are no longer my primary Suboxone doctors anymore but I still keep in touch.

My newer doctor a state away told me I had to be off it within six months. I told him I was very uncomfortable with that demand and he backed off. After a whole lot of convincing, he finally relented and lets me stay on a low dose w/o harassment. He knows I'm tapering but going real slow.

You won't know what the doctor expects until you see them. It is their practice and guidelines you'll be expected to follow. Hopefully, they are not going to force you to do anything that would make you go back to Norco's. Those were my favorites too, BTW.

Don't worry about surgery. Been there, done that. We have a whole section devoted to that subject alone. There isn't much we don't know about Buprenorphine. Everything we've learned about Suboxone has come either from our own doctor J. Junig, MD. on staff here or from the thousands of members that have graced our pages over the years. If we don't know the answer, we'll find out one way or another or just plain say we don't know or can't find it.

You've come to the right place for recovery. My Suboxone doctor accepts this forum as my tool for recovery. He knows what I do here and I've invited him several times to come check us out. My friends and family know nothing about me taking Suboxone, so it's also very anonymous unless you tell someone. My family & Dr. knows that I'm an alcoholic who's been w/o a drink since 1987 and still follows the 12 steps so that also counts towards my recovery plan. You will be expected to choose one for your own recovery. You'll know that after your appointment.

Read up and enjoy the forum,

rule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am 

Hey Rippin! Welcome :)

My advice would be to just take things one step at a time and don't overthink things to much. Ur really not gonna know exactly how you'll feel, so don't go into this treatment thinking ur going to get off it as soon as u can. Ur doctor isn't going to force u to stay in treatment, nobody can force u to do that, so when and if u decide to taper I'm sure u could. Most ppl worry about finding a doctor that'll be willing to treat long term, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Good luck!!