It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As you may know from a previous post I shared that I had a nightmare surgery (gastric bypass) in april because I stayed on my subox...per docs orders

So on Jan 17th I had a tummy tuck and breast lift. No one would listen to me and said stay on suboxcone.....So I tapered down my meds (i did this all with out telling my docs soooo......) and then took some opiates for 9 days before my surgery. It was hard to get my hands on them seeing how Ive been "out of the loop" for so long but I some how managed to find some. I had my surgery and they perscribed me extra strength percocet and took those for almost two weeks and was totally able to manage my pain. It was a whole different experience then when I had gastric. Gastric was supposed to be an easy surgery with very little pain and I was supposed to go home 4 hours after surgery. The pain was so bad I was in the hospital for two days and went home and suffered horribly for a week.

Tummy tucks are the most painful plastic surgey you can get I got a breast lift with augmentation....I went home 1 hour after my surgery. took two pain pills every 2-3 hours and slept great, ate great and healing well.

I started my suboxocone today and feel even better. The pain pills helped for the pain but of course if I went over 6 hours without them I was in withdraw....

I wish doctors listened so I didnt have to be so sneaky about it. I will promise you that I tried on multiple occasions to get them to listen to me but they insisted I stay on sub and take pain pills on top of sub.

It doesnt work.

I surfed the web for 2 months trying to find someone with the right answer to manage surgery while on sub and no one had an answer Or if someone asked about it they were judged immediately. I found this blog and appreciated the honesty and feel like I can be straight Up! I hope that this helps. I hope that you dont have to lie to your doctor but YOU KNOW sometimes they just dont listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The way you did it is a legitimate option (to go on full agonists/regular pain meds before the surgery), is a valid option/plan for planned surgeries. And I'm so glad it went so much better for you this time. It does really suck that you had to do it on your own. But you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I also wanted to mention one other thing - about what you said your doctor(s) recommended. It's actually a valid option to take a full agonist ALONG WITH a SMALL (REPEAT: SMALL!) dose of suboxone. Did you get a copy of the paper that we usually share with people who've had or are planning surgery? It's the first article in the "Links" section. It gives a few different options for treating acute pain in ORT patients. If you ever plan another procedure/surgery, definitely give it a read if you haven't already. (Now this is not to say that your doctors were instructing you correctly, especially if they didn't tell you to taper down to a SMALL dose of sub.)

Anyway, again, I'm so glad this experience was so much better for you, even though it sounds like you had some increased initial pain. I'd bet that was from being on sub and the high tolerance you have from being on the sub. It's part of the price we pay for being on it. But it's a very small price, if you ask me.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Heal quickly! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you....i tried the other way last time and it didnt work......I am glad you didnt judge me I just want this to help someone. Also I did read that paper....I emailed it to everyone involved in my surgery......They just said ....Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Surgery
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ohsosheana wrote:
Thank you....i tried the other way last time and it didnt work......I am glad you didnt judge me I just want this to help someone. Also I did read that paper....I emailed it to everyone involved in my surgery......They just said ....Thanks

What paper are you talking about. I scheduled my Tummy tuck and Breast Augmentation fo the May 31st. I am so stressed that the docs will not listen. I hae been on subs for almost 5 years.

kzaley :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

Check out this thread. There's an NIH paper about treating acute pain in sub (and methadone) patients. It's an excellent resource for both us and our doctors when it comes to having surgery (or even an accident). Most of us share this paper with our surgeons/anesthesiologists, etc. Good luck to you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.