It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I made a post about how I would prepare to take a prescribed pain killer for dental work, and how you can ready your self for an event where you would need to take a prescribed opiate, after surgery or any event along those lines. This information on the method I used is not for everyone, and before deciding to go one way or another please post on here. You will get really good options but if none of them work for you this might be an options. With out saying the best way to do this is to have a Doctor who understands you and your situation, and is willing to help you in this process. That being said this is what I did to ready my self for the pain management process of having a visit to a Dentist/Oral Surgeon. I started about 7 days before my scheduled appointment, at this point I'm down to 14mgs a day, I was able to make it 2 days before I started feeling a little dizzy and the beginning of feeling sick, at that point I took 2mgs at a time I til the bad feeling went away, which was about 8mgs, I wasn't going for full dose relief, just enough to keep any withdrawal at bay, over the next couple days I had left I took between 2 - 4mgs a day, when I started to feel any kind of sickness coming on, again just enough to make the sickness fade. One thing I noticed was if you dosed your self right as you felt any sickness, you needed less then if the sickness had already hit. The day before and the day of my appointment I did not use any, but by the time things were said and done I had my prescription of pain medications to take, so any sickness and to my relief the pain actually was helped by the medication, unlike the time before. Taking just what I was prescribed per dose, was good enough to stop any sick feeling and stop the pain to degree that I could get some sleep which seemed to help things heal faster. In short what I did was not take a does until I felt I physically needed it, (Suboxone is strong and will last you longer then you might think) as I felt the need I started with a small does and added more until the physical feelings were under control, it wasn't a full does of relief feeling but plenty to get to me through the day, after that I just took the smallest amount I could and not feel sick. The day before I didn't take a dose, and the day of my appointment I didn't does either, my appointment was early and with the shots I got during the process and the fact things seemed to go quick, before I started feeling sick I had my pain management prescription to take. If your appointment is later or you are just worried about getting sick at the Doctors, take a small dose of your suboxone in the morning the day before your appointment. The pain medication felt nothing like it used to when I got high, it was more of helping me with the physical and not really any type of head buzz at all. I worried about feeling a high and wanting to use but that never happened, and when I was done with my prescription. I was actually quite happy to be back to my suboxone and the normality it brought me. Cutting back on your dose in such a short time with only making sure I didn't get sick was enough to get through the pain with no extra help. I want to end this post this way, in my situation I had no choice for extra help, my Doctor will not back me in anyway, and the Dentist was uneasy about prescribing me anything, being that I was on suboxone, so getting twice a normal dose was out of the question. I had no options to help in the way of pain management, other then what I could do for my self. I want to repeat that talking to your Doctor 1st, then asking for advice on here with a post is your best way to go, before you even think about trying to manage things on your own such as I did. My choice to do what I did was out of the lack of help from the Doctors I have to depend on. This was only a last resort choice on my part to deal with the pain management after a medical procedure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Joseph what's with the ????. It's very easy to look up someone's past posts to fill you in the clues. So if you don't know what is going on, do some research. Don't waste peoples time just to add another post to your collocation, your lack of experience comment does nothing to help anyone. If you don't understand what's going on, it's not a post for, and keep your comments to your self, unless you have a question, that has to do with the post topic. This information was geared toward longer term users. Grow up or don't reply under my posts. I apologize to anyone reading this for information purposes, and was rudely disrupted, by someone who had no interest in helping or furthering the topic. Any real adult response or questions are welcome.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First of all get real you think I did this (??????) to get a higher post count? I responded with a question mark because your information is ridiculous. Dont start talking shit to me because I left a question mark on your thread and if you noticed how many people have looked at your post and didnt leave a comment its probably because they were baffled by your info. as well. You have no right to comment to me with that type of demeanor because I left a ? mark on your post any way. So you are right I will not post any comments on your threads because it will be a further waste of my time to even read that nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:35 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I said nothing about you other then, don't post anything but opinion, by opinion I meant it was scientifically based, or fact based because you went thought a similar situation. I did not expect reposes, being that my prior post and this one was directed toward a small group of people. One of which is not you being that you don't understand it. I just posted it today, and the people who it was meant for who work, and don't check on this site everyday. What my post was, to help out a certain group of people. As the site in general is setup for offering help. If you took the time to read the TOS, you would know that arguing with, or putting down one person's view is against the site rules. So unless you have had some positive input, you shouldn't have said anything at all. I've been on Suboxone for almost 4 years, and I am a dual diagnosis. I have been a member on this site for over a year, and as easy as it would be to start an argument with you. That's not what I'm here for, my only interest is in to provide help for people in similar situations as me, and besides I have enough respect for Dr. Junig to fallow the rules he has for the site he created. Either way if no one replies that is not the point. Providing my 1st hand information to those who might need it, and chance to read it was my only goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

(I'm ignoring the above exchange intentionally.)

Dotta, thanks for posting this! Your method is new to me and makes a lot of sense. Did you come up with it on your own? What gave you the idea for this? And most importantly, it worked to get pain relief without doubling or tripling your dose?!? Impressive! I'm so glad to hear that you got pain relief following your procedure - I know how worried you were about that. So many of us have been through needing something for acute pain and I know I have personally struggled with this issue. How did you arrive at this plan of taking only the absolute smallest dose possible to keep you out of withdrawals for 7 days before the procedure? And what kind of withdrawals symptoms, if any, did you have during that week? Or did those small doses truly address all symptoms? Did this method leave you uncomfortable at all during those 7 days, and if so, how much? It sounds like you were able to function fine during this period. Did you end up telling your sub doctor about this method? I'm curious as to how s/he responded. I'm also curious to hear if you had cravings while you were doing this...I'm guessing that's a possibility. I'm very interested to see if Dr. Junig has an opinion on your method...

Thanks again for sharing this with us. Sorry to leave you with all these questions, but ithat should tell you how interested I am in this. I think finding new ways to get acute pain relief is important for those of us on suboxone. I have no plans in the immediate future that would require me to use this method, but the next time I do need pain relief I plan on speaking to my sub doctor about using your method. This is truly a great idea, Dotta. THANKS!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I would like to apologize for the nonsense above, it made something I did seriously to help people turn into a circus, and could have took away from my efforts. That the saying one bad apple can spoil the bunch, is very true. Again I apologize for the above event, and what it did to cheapen this post.

Hatmaker, I glad you found what I had done interesting, and any questions you have are welcome from just one to any and all that you might have. I found that this might work by accident after having a friend kill him self, I decided to stop my suboxone, and get high, because of being up set and having the mind set we are not promised tomorrow. After a speedy taper and realizing I would have to tape properly to get off the suboxone. When I 1st took the suboxone again I realized, that taking the time off the suboxone, had help me drop from my current 26mgs down to 16mgs gave me the same effect. I figured that if lowering off your does short time made a difference. Knowing I had several appointments in which I was going to be prescribed the pain killer made me think that if a modified controlled drop might help with that as well. Not get me wrong my 1st attempt, when I planed on just dumping my suboxone was painful and full of the common dope sickness. So this time I did things a lot more organized. The 1st 2 days by the evening I was feeling pretty bad, so I just took enough to stop any physical. After that when the sickness felt like it would becoming on I would take a small does, and found if you caught it before your actually felt the sickness it took a lot less to curb those feelings, It did require you to monitor how you felt to keep things running, that's what I meant by not a full dose relief, were you took your suboxone and forgot about it til the next day. How ever the small does kept you functioning fine, but you did need to keep track of how you were feeling as to not fall into a deeper sickness. The only day I felt any withdrawal was the second day in, because I had not though to pay attention how I was feeling, after I figured that I had no with drawl, but again it wasn't like a full dose where you took it and forgot about it to the next day. Paying attention to how you were feeling and dosing before the sickness was on set I never felt a withdrawn once I was doing so. I never felt a craving as long as I dosed even small before the sickness on set. I was more worried if I would like the pain medication too much, but that was not the case at all. It seemed that having such a small dose in your system compared to what you normally took, with out letting your self get sick, was the key to having the prescribed pain medication work well enough to control to the pain. I all felt comfortable as long as I paided attention to how I was feeling, Until I was able to get my pain prescription from the Dentist, which took my through, until it was time to restart my suboxone. I never had a chance to tell my Sub Doc yet, and I'm kind of afraid to mention it to him, out of fear he will drop me. If I build up the will to tell him, I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks a lot for show interest, and if you can think of anything you might want to know feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the additional information, Dotta. It's impressive that you took a bad situation and learned from it and made it work for your recovery. Because of that, I'm going to say you were safer from relapse. I say that because of a study I read that indicated how addicts are NOT at a higher risk of relapse when they have to take pain meds for acute pain, but instead are actually at a higher risk of relapse from having UNTREATED PAIN. Your experience lends credibility to that theory, too. In my non-medical, unprofessional opinion, I think your method has merit and promise. Most of all, I'm just thrilled that you got PAIN RELIEF by using this custom method. I was serious when I said I will definitely consider using this method the next time I need acute pain relief. It's good to hear that if you stay on top of how you're feeling and dose minimally early enough that you can indeed be comfortable and avoid any w/d symptoms and cravings. It may be an undocumented approach, but it worked for you and may very well work for others, too.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell us about what worked for you. Take care!

Hat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:59 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks from the encouragement, I wish everyone had a competent Doctor to see them through the processes. How ever, unfortunately Doctors are uninformed or ones afraid of being sued, make that option impossible for some. I did that out of no other choice, and I know I'm not the only one. At this point in my life I'm taper down to quit, because it's my time. 2 years ago I wouldn't have been to, I way to scared to skip my suboxone. It was after tapering I seen I could do it, that's why I say it's not for everyone. Not to end things on a down note but I wanted to say something, because it's been bothering, but one of my good friend's was shoot and killed on the last Sunday the 11th, and all last was hell and I could have really used getting high, but I didn't. Seeing someone I hang out with frozen ice cold in box, has been bothering me since, he left 3 kids behind. That's been pushing me to want to get high. I know it's off point but I had to tell someone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm SO sorry you lost your friend! That's horrible, Dotta. I think it's perfectly natural that you wanted to use. That's a major trigger. But you didn't...you resisted! And you should be proud of yourself for that. See how strong you are? Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest condolences. And sharing that on this forum is very appropriate, that's what we're here for, to support each other in difficult times. I'm sorry that happened. Hang in there and stay on track, I know you will. I think you're doing very well, considering all you've been through lately.

HAT