It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want information on this topic to be known! Not all women will have the same experience as me...but I want you to know how everything worked out for me! So first off, this is my first pregnancy, I was told that I had a 2 vessel umbilical cord....& I thought maybe that would be best since I am prescribed 2 8mgs. of bupe a day. My thinking was that if I only had 1 vein going to my child maybe she would get less of the bupe I take. The delivery went great....no issues there! My daughter was born perfectly healthy, 6lbs & 15oz. & 19in. long. She is beautiful! Sadly, she was born having withdraws. I could see everything the nurses were talking about. My child was suffering from withdraw. Yes, this is sad. Yes, it is depressing. To make matters worse...she ended up having jaundice. This is common among newborns, but since my baby was already in pain & suffering the fact that she had to sit under a light in just a diaper drove her crazy. She wanted to be swaddled up nice & TIGHT! She wanted to be held, talked to, she wanted to feel warmth & she wanted to know love. The nurses were so great! They were not rude or judgmental. They helped me breastfeed her, they helped me to feel comfortable because I was there with my child DAY & NIGHT. I even pumped milk & took it into the nursery for her. My daughter & I bonded FAST, the nurses could see, everyone could see it! So when a lady from social services came & visited me she told me what an impact my baby & I had on the nurses & how they were so impressed with my kindness & how I have bonded with my child. They DID NOT OPEN A CASE ON ME! They could see that I LOVED my baby. They did do a follow up with me @ my home...but so what no big deal. I do not blame them for wanting to know more about my situation. They sympathized with me & told me I had done the right thing by getting help & getting into treatment. They were all so amazing. From the nurses to social services. My daughter stayed in the hospital a LONG 6 days. From Saturday I delivered to Friday when i finally took her home. It was awful. All she needed was love & closeness...& they could not always provide her with that @ the hospital. They did prescribe methadone for her to take & she is on a dose of .15mg & she is weened down by 20% each week. It is going very well so far. She should be done with it in less than a month :-) She is perfectly healthy & a content little baby! I am surely blessed!

I just want to say...if you do are buying off the street....please reach out & get help for you & your baby. Do not try to hide it. That is the addict in you! Both my parents stood by my side throughout all this...& that was also a good look to social services. So please. Go get help. Do not abuse it. & when you do seek help, do not beat yourself up & stress over what could happen...EVERYTHING is going to work out just fine! Everything happens for a reason. Just keep your head up. Go above & beyond. If your baby has to stay in the hospital...there should be no reason you are not there. Do what you have to do! & good luck. God bless!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 am 

I am SO happy for you that your baby is home with you and being loved and cuddled by her mom! I'm sorry that your baby girl went through withdrawals, but you certainly handled it the best way possible!

Don't get me wrong because I do believe that there are nurses out there who are rude and judgmental to addicts, but I also think that having a positive and proactive attitude can be very impressive to those who may have preconceived notions about you. Those nurses and the case worker didn't see a self-centered, entitled addict. They saw a young woman who was very determined to make sure her baby got the best start in life possible. So don't just be thankful that the folks at the hospital were nice and supportive to you, you can also thank yourself for handling yourself well!

Congratulations on your new baby girl! I wish you the best!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I second what Amy said. You really deserve a lot of credit for ensuring that your baby got the best start possible in life. by treating your addiction, you not only helped yourself, but made sure your baby had a good, caring mom, free of drugs to take care of her. Good for you! Good stories like yours are so wonderful to read, and I'm sure will give some hope and peace to a mom to be out there who is scared and feeling alone. Your advice to them was spot on! Getting help and being honest with your doctor about everything helps insure a safer and healthier outcome for mama and baby! :-) Congratulations and enjoy that new baby! It goes by so fast. my oldest turned fifteen a few weeks ago and to me it feels like it was yesterday when I brought him home from the hospital. Great post!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

This is def. a happy ending!! I was under the impression that if a baby had to be treated for W/D with methadone that was basically the end of the line. Maybe now the nurses and dr's are starting to see that there are mother's out there that want a good life and are trying to do the right thing. Not just labeling them because they are on something. That is why most woman are scared because they dont' want to be labeled and they are afraid of losing there child because of this. Great positive story for anyone out there. I wish you the best of luck!!! Congrats on the new baby too!!