It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: UPDATE DUI on Suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Those of you that read my other post know I was charged with DUI for being only on suboxone and abilify.( My prescribed meds and proper doses.)

Well the other day I went to court. I must say I got seriously FUCKED.

My lawyer turned out to be a lazy ass and the prosacuter (sp?) was a over zealous bitch that was convinced Im a total drug addict with shitty driving skills.

So I got what is called a Stipulated Order of Contnuance- This means that this case is continued for THREE years. So for THREE years I am on probation. I have to pay the probation fee for 20 dollars a month. I can not get in any trouble including driving without insurance or driving without a licence. I can use no non prescribed drugs or alcohol. If the cops stop me I am required to let them give me any sobriety tests they want. They also made me complete a driving class, a dui victims pannel, and a drug/alcohol assessment. (I already did these three things when this first happened on advice of my lawyer.) Since I completed this stuff I won't have to go see a probation officer every month and piss in a cup, just pay them the fucking fee. I also owe 500 dollars in court costs/fines.

If I dont fuck up over the next three years, there will be no DUI on my record-It will become a neglegent driving first degree. If I do fuck up I will be going to jail for a DUI and have my licence suspended.

So in total this has/will cost me about 2000 dollars and an insane amount of stress. I am fucking freaking out driving now worried Im gonna get stopped again. After all, IM STILL ON SUB and whos to say this shit wont happen again! What if I forget to pay the probation fee or cant find my car insurance card? Holy shit.

I guess the cop that stopped me really made me look bad in her report. I also have a shitty driving record that includes speeding tickets and driving on a suspended licence. My lawyer said I was lucky to get this "deal."

FUCK MY LIFE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's a really shitty way to get three years probation. I just started my 3 year stint, people try to screw those of us that are recovering smh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh honey, you got screwed! And it sounds like you did have a bad lawyer. I'm so so sorry. Did you make a plea, I mean, is it over and you can't get a new lawyer now? No hope for appeal?

I guess it's better than the worse case scenario. (I'm trying to be optimistic here, but it's not easy.) All you can do now is try to move forward. You are a good driver anyway, right? You don't use street drugs anyway, right? So they aren't asking you to give up anything you really do, right? The worse part is the money. An unexpected $500 is extreme hardship on most people these days.

Just TRY to put it out of your mind and concentrate on your family and the holidays (assuming you celebrate). I know you're probably angry and bitter - I sure as hell would be.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. It's scary in more ways than one.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: DUI
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:30 pm 

That really sucks what they did to you. This subject needs to be talked about so other recovering Sub addicts don't suffer the same sentence.

I remember reading the paper last year about the amount of people driving who are on opiate pain medication. The article stated that if the patient has been on the pain meds for a period of time then they are not a threat to the driving public. Now I wish I had saved the article.

So if regular pain patients can legally drive while taking narcotics, why can't we drive when taking a drug that doesn't impair your senses at all? It makes me furious to read what happened to you. It could happen to anyone of us at anytime.

Even after your probation, that is one terrible black mark on your driving history. Hope you don't plan on driving professionally in the near future.

My condolences on you getting screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yeah Hatmaker, Thanks for the support. I guess it could have been worse. There is no going back on it now, so I am just trying to move forward and try to accept it. You are right. I am not using drugs any more and am working on being a safe driver.

If I could go back, I would have calmly told that cop that my prescribed meds are none of her business. She knew what Sub is and knew she could bust me for it. I also would have refused the feild sobriety tests. The night it happened I had just woken up from a nap. I looked like shit, my eyes were red, and was rushing to the store. I was wearing my work clogs and it was dark, rainy and windy out. I was super nervous and know I didn't perform that great on those tests despite me feeling stone cold sober. I just cant imagine that they would have tested me for sub and abilify if I hadn't said anything. Although Im not sure.

The funny thing is, during my using days I have been pulled over while driving drunk, tweaking on methamphetamines, and high as hell with a vein full of dilaudid. No cop ever questioned my sobriety. One time I was driving home high with my vials and needles on the front seat of my car. I got pulled over for speeding and quickly threw my coat over the shit. I had a suspended licence at the time (for not paying speeding tickets) and the cop cuffed me and put me in the back of his car. I smooth talked my way out of it. I begged him to let me call a friend to come drive me home and told him I would take care of the suspention. He let me go with some tickets.

Now that Im sober, I dont have that false confidence/courage/fuck it attitude any more. I am more of a nervous/nerd girl/quiet type. That last cop made me so nervous, I was shaking. I have never had that type of reaction before with cops or other authority figures. I am working on being a strong sober confident woman. (but this is another topic!)

Rule- I don't know if it is really legal for pain pts to be driving around on pain medications. They could get charged if the cops feel like they are impaired. The cop that stopped me felt like I was an impaired driver and the sub in my blood seemed to proove it. If I had done better on the sobriety tests, she probably would have let me go. And yeah, Im sure not going to be applying for a driving job! Luckly I have managed to hold on to a very part time hospital RN job. And I wont even get into what the Board of Nursing would have done to me if I had been charged with DUI.
Good luck to you Rule..I read about your recent medical problems/surgery. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

Lesson of the day-Dont tell the cops you are on sub!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What about not tailgating?

:o

It's definitely going to make me more conscious of my driving.

Post subject: in responce to rule63
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hmmm,im not sure if i would fully agree on the statement of"being on a medication(sub)that don't impair you at all"suboxone does in my opinion impair.I have been on them for a quite a few years now and i believe i am somewhat impaired to the degree of the nod,i have been in situations many of times where keeping my eyes open was a problem while driving but on the other hand i don't sleep much so it could be a mixture,depending on the situation which i haven't read yet but if an officer had me sitting in his office at times and he were to observe me im sure he would call me impaired due to my drowsy eyes and in realty i would claim the same of me and a lot of sub user i see i know when they are what i call in the nod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People who have been on suboxone for awhile and are TOLERANT to it are not and should not be impaired by it. If you have having issues like what you describe, I would look at your dose. Are you on too high of a dose or are you on too low of a dose? Are there other medications in the mix that could be affecting you? You shouldn't be nodding off like that. Especially if you've been on it for so long.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Dose Too High
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 pm 

I agree with Hat, that your dose may be too high or there is some other factor making you nod off. Sleepiness was one of my main concerns with Bup and I needed to taper down to a dose more appropriate for me.

On the other hand, legally speaking, it does say on the information pamphlet for Sub that it may impair your senses and the old "Don't operate machinery or drive while taking this medication" is one way the legal system can nail you. Of course it says the same thing on Benadryl.

It was just something I read several years ago about opiate therapy and posted it. I'm not even sure I agree with it.

Post subject: Total amount of sub
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I traveled alot with my job and when I knew I would be driving for 6 to 8 hours in the beginnng I would take 2mg's of sub(below the ceiling) instead of my morning dose of 4mg's. I noticed that when this happened I needed to pull over to rest area's and take a nap becasue I would begin to nod.

So I decided this was dangerous so even though I had fear I decided to take my usual 4mg's in the morning before heading off on a long driving trip and I had no issues. So.......for this sub user taking too less was a problem for me when driving. Staying on my normal dose did not cause me any problems I think due to the fact I was used to taking that dose and my body was adjusted to it. Not sure if it helps anyone but this has been my experience.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Georgia] [/font]
I'm a little surprised to hear some of you feel like Bupe is making you nod off? I wonder if it's the Bupe at all? I've been taking Suboxone for 3 years and have been quite comfortable since starting at 24mg/qd and eventually weaned myself to 2mg/qd. I have taken 2mg for well over 14 months without problems. I CAN tell if I forget to take a dose for 48 hrs. as ever increasing aggitation sets in. But it is what it is! I'm ALIVE, not in jail, still married after 25 years, and have been forgiven by everyone close except myself...you know how that is. Everyday is peaceful; don't have to wake up to count how many pills I have, don't have to find another hiding place, don't have to tell one lie to cover up the other lie. God what a miserable freakin life that was!
Sorry, took a tangent there...but the only noticeable effect I've experienced with too high of dose is getting flat out sick...it's happened twice...once intentionally, once not. Both times I puked my guts up, no fun. I can't say I've ever felt noticalby drowsy. Everyone's different. Love to all and Happy Holidays

Post subject: That Sucks!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Did you have any prior arrests or any traffic violations on your record?

Hearing your situation sucks ass but it seems like something is missing. My sister is a criminal law attorney and we always discuss different situations that her clients come to her with. In the past 4 years I've never heard of 3 years probation followed with an actual charge for a prescribed medicine impairment charge. Usually your situation is reduced to a careless driving charge depending on why you got pulled over and prior record.

If this really did happen to you with a perfectly clean record than that's terrible!! 9/10 good DUI attorneys would just about guarantee you a better deal than what you got. With a clean record, your case would have been easy to squash.

There has to be something you did to make the charge stick. Field sobriety tests aren't enough to charge someone with DUI because many people can't pass them to begin with. Field sobriety tests are simply used so the officer can claim you failed 1-2 of them for probable cause to ask you for a breath, blood, or urine sample.

Did you refuse any of the tests? If you agreed to a blood or urine tests than many states don't even test for Suboxone. If they happened to test for Suboxone than upon you providing a valid prescription than the charges would get reduced if anything. How did they know you were on Suboxone? So you were honest about it than blood tested for it? Did you have a current legal prescription for it? It's simply not feasible for any judge to claim that folks aren't allowed to drive while on Suboxone treatment.

Either way 3 years of probation is like having a noose around your neck. It will still go by much quicker than you think but good luck. Once they get you in the system than things can so South in an instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Orange Doll,
I just read your post, I'm so sorry they screwed you like that . I wanted to address the topic of suboxone impairing your driving ability. I have been on Suboxone for about 7 years (Give or take A little), I can honestly say I feel nothing from it. No high, no tired feeling,ect. I would argue not taking them umpaires my ability more than taking them. If i skipped a day or two, i would be exhausted,unsteady, and shaky. A cup of coffee impaires my abillty more than suboxone. Now with that i would say that i have been taking between 1-1/2 pills/day since I started my recovery. I would say, that if anyone is feeling that it affects or impairs your senses, that i would try and take less.For a couple reasons:A) because your body may not need that much to maintain abstinance from other drugs.B) in the long run , you dont want to have to taper longer, or require more to sustain sobriety. I would also recommend the opposite too. If your dose is too low to where your honestly not able to sustain on your dose, i would tell your MD, Or slowly taper up by a quarter to a half a 8 mg pill /day , and give yourself at least a week or more to see if each dose is effective. The tricky part here, or at least for me in the very begining of my recovery, is your coming from a engrained mentality that more is always better. For me in the very begining it was really hard to distinguish between what was true, and what my addiction was telling me. Insert NA meetings and a recovery program. I needed help with the mental part of addiction, far more than the physical.Once I let my mind be presueded by my addiction, it could convince me of anything. Sorry i hope i didnt get off topic. As far as the legal part of this: I had a similar situation as you are going through only about 10X worse, and i can honestly say the justice system only cares about 1 thing- MONEY.Set up a payment plan for your fines and pay all the money faithfully.When i got in trouble, i was 19. I thought it was the end of the world, and like i would never make it through. Since then , i got my shit together, and payed them every penny. Its now been expunged from my record, and i get to act like it never happened. I SUPPORT you. TAKE CARE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That really sucks. I had a buddy that got a DUI early in the morning when his girlfriend sent him to a 7-11 to pick up milk and diapers because he was groggy on the ambien that he took a few hours earlier because he couldn't sleep. And this guy isn't even a junkie or an alcoholic! Sadly, it doesn't pay to be honest with the cops, after all they're out to bust you. At the end of the day, (3 years from now) you'll be still be clean and you won't have this "crime" on your record. I've been on subs for a couple of years and I don't have any problems driving or nodding off or anything, I can understand that taking a sobriety test, even stone cold sober can be nervewracking. My old boss was an ex-cop and he showed me how the cops did the test, I obviously passed it, but when he asked me to count backwards from 67 to 54, I was like WTF? I can barely do this sober.

Post subject: Ouch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Never get a lawyer out of the phonebook.