It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Update/Birth Story
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to send a short update since I have posted here while pregnant. I gave birth to my sweet baby 11 weeks ago while taking Subutex. Because she was breech, I had to have a c-section. The csection went well. Afterward, they gave me a PCA pump for the first 24 hours then percocet by mouth after that. My pain was well controlled with this. I continued to take my bupe.

As for NAS, my daughter did great. She did have some low scores - 2 to 4 mainly - for the first couple of days but the nurses told me not to worry since even a non-bupe exposed newborn can have a few "symptoms" like sneezing, sucking, etc. I did what research recommends to help keep her comfortable, such as dim lights, quiet room, lots and lots of skin to skin contact, and breastfeeding. When we got home, I continued the same as a precaution and swaddled her alot. She has been absolutely great!

Moms always worry about cps. I had no problems with them. The social worker from the hospital came in, copied my prescription bottle, and wished me well. CPS was never even called. So I would recommend that you take your prescription with you to the hospital to show if you have one. If you don't have a prescription, this is the one recommendation that I will make...try to get one. It just makes the process easier.

Today, my baby girl is 11 weeks old and thriving. We are in the beginning process of weaning from breastmilk for reasons other than bupe. I will watch her to make sure no NAS symptoms come about though I don't expect it. She is a happy, chubby baby. I wish that I could post a picture!

For moms currently on bupe treatment during pregnancy, please try not to worry. I hope my story gives you some hope.

Post subject: Re: Update/Birth Story
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want to add this...

What I am most thankful for in my journey is that I was honest with my doctors from day one. In fact, I didn't have a script in the beginning but I still told them that I took bupe for pain management. I got rid of my first doctor because he didn't seem understanding. I found a new doctor who was compassionate and understanding. She said upfront that she wasn't there to judge me, but to help me deliver a healthy baby while staying healthy myself. She will forever be in my gratitude for her kindness and compassion. For peace of mind, I got a script at about 5 months along and I think that made things easier at birth. I knew cps wouldn't give me a hard time if I was doing things the legitimate way, and they didn't. They weren't even called.

So if you haven't been honest with your doctor, I would encourage you to start there. If your doctor is a douche like my first one, find a new one. There are docs out there who are compassionate, non-judgmental, and who want to help. I am thankful that I found one. I also know that she respected me for being honest and not trying to hide my bupe use. She said this to me. I think it helped to start us out on the right foot honestly.