It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi everyone,
I had been diagnosed with several mood disorders back in my late teens - early twenties; however around age twenty-six my diagnosis changed to only Bipolar (which has been confirmed by several mental health professionals). My manic highs, and depressive lows were severe, and greatly affected my life; and my family constantly walked on egg shells in fear not setting me off.
I was a heroin addict for just over ten years. I got sober in 2008, but when I had surgery in 2012, I was prescribed Percocet, and that prescription was my beginning to my relapse with morphine. I found Suboxone in Jan. 2013 and my life drastically changed literally overnight.
While I remained in relapse mode for over a year; I never allowed it to affect my studies. I had enrolled in college in 2010, gained my Associates in 2012, and will be graduating with my BS in psychology (emphasis substance abuse) this coming August.
Back to my point: Suboxone changed my live overnight. For me, I feel that I am relapse proof; I have zero drug chasing dreams, zero triggers, and I never crave opioids since being on suboxone. However, that's not all suboxone has done for me. I no longer experience the manic highs or depressive lows from bipolar. No bipolar symptoms since I began suboxone 13 months ago. However, I have experienced something I would describe as "being too comfortable staying at home, no longer interested in being in crowed areas, a bit anxious in public, and I now enjoy my solitude" . With that said, I have come to know that other people who have been diagnosed with bipolar, and are on suboxone, are also experiencing the same things (no more or less symptoms of bipolar since being on suboxone, but a sense of semi-anti-social behavior). So, I have decided to do a study on this and with your help, along with the clients in my suboxone doctor's office, I thought we could begin to find more of us who are experiencing the same issues. If anyone is interested in assisting me, please respond. This weekend I will post the survey in this forum. Monday I see my doctor and in one month I will collect the data and reveal if, in deed, we are not alone.
Everyone will remain anonymous . If your names are in your screen name, I will not use it. Confidentially is a guarantee . I hope to gain the support required for this study to be regarded as valid. I truly look forward to all of your help.
Thank you all.
Jenny V.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, Jenny, great post! And let me congratulate you on your educational achievements, and future in helping others. That's wonderful and you have every right to be extremely proud of yourself.

It's also Amazing to hear what Suboxone has done for you! I can imagine how surprised you must have been, and overjoyed with the results this drug has provided you! Wow, again! :D

I have no Bipolar issues (that I know of), but just wanted to say hello, and to acknowledge this very special time in your life. I'm sure your friends here will also be impressed, and so happy for you.

I'll follow along as you gather info because I'm interested in everything that has to do with Suboxone, and how it can change people's lives. Take care Jenny, and all the best to you!

Karen :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jenny, I am fascinated and will definitely take the survey.
I have just recently gotten in trouble at work for irritability with co-workers, not patients thank God.
The "I'm perfectly happy sitting in my computer room on Facebook, YouTube and other sites all the time thank you very much" behavior is me to a T. I have become nearly a recluse, and my husband is starting to get annoyed with me.
But I'm "on" for 12 h Sundays, and 8h M-T-W as a psych nurse; interacting therapeutically. I don't see a problem in wanting to be home with no one but hubby, the cat and the dog! I especially enjoy not talking with anyone unless I want to.
Looking forward to more information.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenny-

I don't have any mood disorders but I experienced exactly what you're referring to. To a "T". If you want my input, I'm here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll have to 2nd what Tiny just said.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ha - I forgot to mention my Suboxone history!
I am a registered nurse and I was injecting morphine stolen from the hospital back in the late 1990's. Was arrested, charged with 34 2cd degree felonies. Nearly lost my nursing license and my kids. Did lose my job, my house, my driver license, my dignity and my soul to the drugs. By the Grace of God was allowed probation instead of the prison I richly deserved. Went to 60 days of residential treatment but stole a benedryl while there. That finally got my attention, and I was able to stay clean x1 yr. I relapsed 1 yr out of treatment over foot surgery.
Maintained 9 years of happy joyous and free 12 step based sobriety and freedom from opiates.
But about 5 years ago, the long time prozac I was taking for severe recurrent major depressive disorder quit working. I was lucky - I got 20 years out of it. How I knew something was wrong was a gradual awareness of cravings for opiate bliss once more. I stole some opioids from my FIL's supply, and instantly NEEDED more.
Fortunately for me my long time psychiatrist is also a sub doc. I told him what I had done, wondering why the F I was suddenly risking everything again for drug heaven. He suggested while we were trying out new antidepressants that I protect myself from worse relapse with Suboxone. I refused, not wanting another jones. But the cravings got stronger and stronger - and by now I had a new home, a new husband, my nursing license back, my children's respect and was on the state board of nursing for my state - I had a LOT to lose.
So I started suboxone 5 years ago at 6mg/day. Over the years I have constantly fiddled with my dose, wanting for various reasons to be off the drug.
But as Dr J points out so often, better a junkie on suboxone than a dead junkie. So I stayed on it. I found 4 mg to be a perfect dose, but weaned slowly down - short story is I had a hysterectomy this spring. Since I went back on 2 mg Suboxone after surgery, I have noticed the same desire to stay at home, do nothing but Internet (as a verb) and be perfectly content not talking with anyone. I was not a recluse before on 4 mg, but I sure am now. I'm also irritable where I haven't been before.
Because I am facing problems at work I am just barely returning to a dose of 4mg/day of Suboxone, prescribed by my MD & validated by email w Dr J. I was in a sweet spot before at 4mg, and I hope to regain that sweet spot.
Anyway - there's the fairly short version of my story. I am looking forward to helping with the survey. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Jenny..im in...wont go into it now, but i do sound like you..one day a bad craving pill popper..tbe next morning and every day since (38) mpnths later, feel ..well relapse proof..and zero depression...tberes more...but sure be glad to help..razor...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was just reading thru this thread and noticed that xonedone said some of her troubles with becoming introverted and irritable bEgan after having a hysterectomy. I also had a hysterectomy last year, and had some of the same issues afterward, with irritability, moodiness, etc. could it be hormonal,ie, related to the hysterectomy? May I ask did you also have salpingo oophorectomy( removal of ovaries/tubes as well)? not being nosy, but my problems turned out to be hormonal due to the surgery.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

lizzieshug2013 wrote:
I was just reading thru this thread and noticed that xonedone said some of her troubles with becoming introverted and irritable bEgan after having a hysterectomy. I also had a hysterectomy last year, and had some of the same issues afterward, with irritability, moodiness, etc. could it be hormonal,ie, related to the hysterectomy? May I ask did you also have salpingo oophorectomy( removal of ovaries/tubes as well)? not being nosy, but my problems turned out to be hormonal due to the surgery.

Lizzieshug2013, my gyn certainly agreed! Here's the rest of that story. I am 60 years old. Went through menopause years ago, but not sure when because I was using hormone replacement therapy. We had discovered way back in my early 40's that adding a birth control pill evened out the worsened depression I'd get pre menses. I switched from the pill to the exact same med in hormone replacement at 50. I stopped that medicine 1.5 years before my hysterectomy, and had no worsening of mood or hot flashes or irritability.
Had a total hyst with bilateral salpingo=oopherectomy May 31 2013. I didn't notice any change in mood or increased irritability until January 2014.
So my gyn had me start Estrogel on 2/24/14. Increased Suboxone back to 4mg on wed 2/26, so we'll never know, I guess, which intervention helped. I'm OK not verifying which helped as long as between the 2 ZI stop having this irritability and lashing out at co-workers.
The blahs Jenny has described began about a year ago; unrelated, I'm thinking, to the shenanigans of 2013.
Lizzieshug2013, are you using any hormonal supplement now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have to apologize for not posting the survey, as I stated I would this weekend. I've been in communication with my doctor (the professional who is assisting me and allowing me to use his clients), and he wants to go over my survey before I post, or put it in his office. My appointment is tomorrow morning (Monday March 3ed) and from there he will go over what I have, and make revisions if necessary. Once the final survey is figured out I will post! I am sincerely looking forward to every one of you who replied (and even hopefully more), taking part in this study. This is the beginning of ground breaking information that can help people like us, possibly find a solution to our hermit like behavior.
I can't tell you all how excited I am! This will be the first study done on this topic! Wow right! Actually, the company Suboxone is currently doing a study to see the effects Suboxone has on bipolar; but their study is an experiment, and it's still in progress. In addition, ours will be slightly different because, we're also reporting on depression, anxiety, how Suboxone affects our daily lives, and how it has caused us to become too comfortable being a hermit.
Anyways, I tend to ramble.
Thank you all
Jenny V.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm 

Hey Jenny,

I'm in the same category as Tinydancer and Romeo. No mood disorders, but I could easily become a hermit. I used to be an extrovert. However, mine started when I went on opiates 24/7. Things have improved somewhat since I started suboxone. Home is the only place that seems safe, unless I'm visiting someone I truly trust. I would love to take part in the survey if I qualify, and I would also love to hear the results of your survey!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:52 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Amy,
Due to you all, I am revising the survey to include anyone on Suboxone who has developed a lack of wanting to be in public, anxiety, and/or hermit like qualities.
I am so excited! I currently have two surveys for my doctor to overlook and from there we'll make the appropriate alterations. The survey that's going to be in the office is completely confidential and I am directing no names to be on them. I just wanted to add that, because from what my doctor says he's going to help me get this published on http://www.samhsa.gov/. Supposedly, that site isn't too hard to get published on, as long as everything is in order. Having my doctor as a collaborator is the key here and I'm Blessed he is willing to help.
As for you all remaining confidential, don't worry about your names being on any data. You are all going to remain anonymous. That's my word.
Thank you for responding and I will keep you posted.
Jenny V.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

Thank YOU for adding to the knowledge available about suboxone! There need to be more surveys and studies about sub. You go girl!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know you have already started your study. I must say "yes". I too have some chemical imbalance issues that go way back. i have had terms of sobriety over the decades that spread from months to years. I too have been diagnosed bi-polar, along with PTSD and anxiety disorder. I know too that when we have chemicals in our system that mimics alot of these disorders. I have experienced these type disorders during the times that i was able to remain clean for a number of years, so I feel that it is a "true" diagnosis. I am currently 47 years old, I started using drugs at the age of 9. I have been to rehab atleast a dozen times and have been put on every SSRI drug on the market. I onlr got opiate dependent/addicted these past two years or so. Some was recreational and the bulk of the issue started when I almost died from a series of infections that caused severe pain in my spine. Only when I tried to stop using opiates did I realize how messed up this ordeal had spiraled out of control.During the past year I ended up in detox on 3 separate occasions, always put on suboxone for 4 or 5 days then released with an appointment to see there doctor within 7 to 10 days. I could never make it that long - the sickness would get me-wear me down till I found something to stop the madness of acute withdrawl. I finally saved enough money to get in with a suboxone doctor. I was fortunat also in that my medicine is free for a year-my timing was just right-this doctor was new within this group and it was mid January when I had my first appointment, so I got in on the Here to Help program. This doctor does not agree in just giving the bare minimum of this medicine. He started me out on 3-8mg strips a day from the get go. Then after seeing that I also have pain issues he bumped it up to 4-8mg a day. Some folks say this is alot I know. I look at it like this-the meds are free-I do not inject myself with morphine/dilaudid or heroine 7-12 times a day any more. I have virtually no cravings. The most amazing benefit for me is the absence of depression. I feel and act like a totaly different person. I find myself still having some panic attacks from time to time but nothing as severe as they used to be. I still shy away from benzo's just because I turn into an idiot and break out in felonies when I take them. I no longer take any SSRI meds. I just take suboxone(most days just the 3 unless it is a hurting kind of day), neurotin-3 800mg a day and alleve. Thats it, I keep waiting for the magic wand effect as I refer to it to wear off. Two months on this medicine and my family tells me I even look different. I am grateful God has worked this out for me-I would most assuredly have died if I would have kept the other gamet up.

Sincerely,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Edit: Deleted, as posted in wrong thread, sowwy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been diagnosed with bipolar, and yes, it did have a mood stabilizing effect. I didn't really care for some of the side effects tho, such as loss of libido to name one, so personally, wouldn't want to use it for that purpose long term, otherwise I would find a way to use it in a non illicit manner, rather than have gone through the withdrawals after a period of self medication on bupe. It was very helpful for coming off of oxy however, and if I had no choice, I'd probably choose it over some of the other bipolar medications that are out there. Generally, I can manage with minimal to no medication, as I seem to hover somewhere between the Bipolar 2 & 3 part of the BD spectrum (3 is also known as "cyclothymia") when things are going okay, eating properly, exercising, and using supplements that are known to help with mood stabilization, like Omega-3 fatty acids.

I also don't mind the swings when they are not extreme. Hypomania (as opposed to hypermania) is a time to get things done, lots of energy, creativeness, problem solving capacity, and so on. Mild depression is a time to step back from life some and reflect on things objectively, and there is a creative element to that too, but more of a Van Gogh or Edgar Allen Poe type of creativity.

A lot of drama and trauma can set me off however, and I did have one psychotic episode in my life, when I got hit with loss of my father and a betrayal by my fiancee at the same time ('cheating' with a coworker - who was married no less. Home wrecking biatch! I can kind of laugh about it now (at times), it could have been worse: married with children by her, and then a divorce), and copped a "fuck the world" attitude that got out of hand.

Also, studying logic has helped me a lot. It might not control my moods completely, but it keeps me in check from slips from reality, so to speak, by helping to tell me, "this is bipolar related", if something seems weird.

Also, I wondered why BD hadn't been weeded out of the gene pool if it is such a horrible disease, and after coming across the following excerpt, now think that maybe it hasn't, for a good reason?

Quote:
Some commentators believe that hypomania actually has an evolutionary advantage. People with hypomania are generally perceived as being energetic, euphoric, visionary, overflowing with new ideas, and sometimes overconfident and very charismatic, yet—unlike those with full mania—are sufficiently capable of coherent thought and action to participate in everyday activities. Like mania, there seems to be a significant correlation between hypomania and creativity. A person in the state of hypomania might be immune to fear and doubt and have negligible social and sexual inhibition. People experiencing hypomania usually have a very strong sex drive. Hypomanic people are often the "life of the party". They may talk to strangers easily, offer solutions to problems, and find pleasure in small activities. Such advantages may render them unwilling to submit to treatment, especially when symptoms do not impair functioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomania# ... e_benefits

So, it might be a loss to humanity if a cure was found for bipolar, especially if it became standard operating procedure to cure those with it? I'll settle for treatment during times when/if the symptoms are unbearable (hence why I bolded part of the wiki entry).

But back to the short answer, yes I did experience mood stabilization with buprenorphine, and think it, or perhaps at least some sort of analog/offshoot med in the works, should be explored more as an option for treating mood disorders. Its possible it might provide great relief to those with full blown manic depression, so maybe those who suffer greater than others with the disorder, and have had suicide attempts, might be more compliant on such a med as opposed to some of the other meds available, with worse side effects.