It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I need to have a pretty intense pelvic surgery using general anesthesia, but I'm still using 1 mg. Suboxone daily. My question is: will the sedation work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yes, the sedation shouldn't be an issue. But make sure the doctors involved know about the suboxone so they can treat your pain appropriately. Then after your acute pain is over you can switch back to your suboxone to continue treatment. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:35 pm 

NTBF,

Please read some posts from the Surgery on Suboxone section to get a good idea on how to handle this. Your question is a common one and the answer is usually the same. Stay on the Suboxone and print out Dr. Junig's blog on the subject of being given a larger dose of full agonist pain medication and give it to your doctor. You won't feel the high of them but the pain relief will still work.

If you can't find what I'm referring to, say so and I'll be happy to post it for you.

You'll be just fine with sedation. Buprenorphine only affects opiates, not the knock out juice.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is important that you discuss your intake of Suboxone, even if it is only 1mg. daily. I had femoral bypasses in both legs and 2 amputations, both legs. My surgeon & doctors were all in touch. My doctor switched me to Percocet 1 week before surgery and when I was free of very bad pain, I stopped the strong pain killers, waited 36-48 hours while taking 800mgs. of Motrin, and went back to my Sub dosage which was ranging from 16mgs to 8 mgs daily throughout a period of time with my ordeal. Although I was given very strong narcotics IV after surgery and opiooids to take home, I wasn't interested one bit in staying on opioids. I was glad to get back to my Suboxone to feel normal and especially since I was frightened to death of becoming addicted again.

best of luck. Let us know how it works out. It will be fine.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you Queenie for letting them know how important it is for the medical team to know about the suboxone, even if it's a small amount. I just love it when you grace us with your presence to give a few words of encouragement to a new member.

And I think this is the document that Rule mentioned: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/surgery.pdf I'm sorry if that's not the right one, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Feel free to read some other surgery-related articles over at the Talk Zone blog: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/ You can type in the word "surgery" in the search box and those articles that are associated will magically appear. You just concentrate on being honest with all of your providers and then try to relax. Like Queenie says... "it will be fine".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Openmind,

Hello to one of my favorite grandchildren. Thank you for the compliment. If I can assure someone or advise them from experience, then I will be there.

I hope you are doing alright. I always come in, take a look around the house, make some fresh coffee and see if anyone new is sitting in front of the fire waiting for help. I have to look out for everyone here because when I got here, I was a mess. Everyone came to my rescuse, put their loving arms around me and wiped my tears. let me tell you, that is the best feeling in the world. If I can comfort someone, I am a better person for it.

I will keep in touch. Take care my love. It will be fine, I promise.

Tight hugs,
Queenie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am 

Thank You OpenMind, that is the document I was referring to. Was just too lazy to go look!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

rule62 wrote:
Thank You OpenMind, that is the document I was referring to. Was just too lazy to go look!

LOL, no problem Rule. Just a little team work!! :D