It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Unsettling Pharmacist
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ugh, I hate going and getting my prescription and it just got worse!

I was going to Rite-Aid, which is across the street from the CVS I have to go to now. Long story short, CVS' pharmacy is better/more popular and they finally ran Rite-Aid's pharmacy into the ground and bought their medication. Other than the normal complaints at Rite-Aid, it wasn't the most unpleasant experience getting my suboxone filled there. They were generally nice and professional, even if the occasional frown slipped through when they read my script. They never made me feel like a loser, which was nice. They did continuously forget to order subs to the store so they had them there for me each month, so I would always be sent home with 4 or 5 days worth while they waited for the next shipment. That got old fast but what can ya do?

Anyway, skip to last week when I had to go to the CVS (where the rest of my family goes to fill their prescriptions and I go to fill my other scripts for some reason) to get my subs. I walked up to the counter, and being sober for so long I do look like a normal member of society (HA!) and that day I had on my yuppie gear since I was going to traffic court to get out of a bogus ticket. I greeted the pharmacist, and she kindly greeted me back. I handed her the script and she just froze. She looked up and down from me to the script over and over again for 2 minutes! I asked if everything was alright, and she just kinda stared at me. I awkwardly hung around while she did stuff on her computer, then talked to the other pharmacists. I finally went to say something, and she interrupted me and said "You can go", icily as winter in Fargo. I just looked at her and then turned and walked to the door; when I turned around she was staring at me and possibly waiting for me to steal everything in the store. Needless to say I am DONE there. I live in Philly now anyway, and the pharmacy is in Doylestown which is 45 minutes away... the only reason I would go there is because my parents house and doctors office are right next to it. I think i'll just go get it done in the hood, that way i'll spare myself the embarrassment I felt at CVS.

[i]

To correct your spelling and grammar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Being on Sub for 2+ years and using several pharmacies I can say that CVS was the ONLY one that asked me for a photo I.D. when I got my Subs. They weren't outright rude and judgmental, that honor for me went to Rite-aid. I guess it just depends on the individual.

Post subject: On Pharmacies...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am so sorry about the bad experiences that most ppl on here have been having to go thru
when they have to get their prescriptions filled/re-filled!

After reading about the "bad" experiences that most people have had with the "chain" pharmacies
(like Rite Aid, CVS, etc.) I must point out that not all pharmacies treat Sub patients poorly.

I have been with the same pharmacy -- a small, local pharmacy (some ppl might call it a
"Mom and Pop's" pharmacy)-- here in the small town in which i live. I never get "dirty looks"--
and I am on A LOT of meds! (I am on meds for: bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, extremely high
cholesterol, one med for my stomach, nicotine cessation, and then, of course, there is the sub.)
Obviously, I won't list ALL of my current meds here.

As well, I have NEVER had to show my photo I.D. to get ANY of my prescriptions.In fact, the only time
that I have ever had to show my photo I.D. was when I bought some Sudafed.

At my pharmacy, I get treated with dignity and respect. Almost the entire staff there knows me by my name.
And these days, that is worth something: at least it means something to me. They also deliver; plus- if I do not
have the exact amount of cash on me, they will let me pay them later-- yes, they give out their own credit.
(But not for huge amounts.)

IF you have a choice- then perhaps you can consider getting your prescriptions filled/re-filled at
a smaller, privately-owned pharmacy. If not, well then I don't know what to tell you.

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been lucky I guess, I use 2 different CVS's and have always been treated great! They have even gone out of there way to try to find ways to save me money. I have dealt with a lot of their pharmacists and have always been treated respectfully. I think it just depends on the person.

Lilly I think some pharmacies have the I.d. policy on their own for narcotics. We have 5 walgreens here and only one of the 5 require your I.d. to pick up narcotics. So it may not have been specifically because it was sub but because it was a narcotic.

Post subject: great pharmacy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:14 pm 
I've gotta say that I have never had any problems at my pharmacy! Most of the employees know me and remember me because of the huge amounts of opioids/benzo's I have been on for years. When I initially got on Subutex, a pharmacist who has worked there for years actually gave me kind of a wink/smile when I first brought in a Subutex RX, as if to say "finally! I'm glad for you." From time to time if there's no one around he asks me how I'm doing on Sub and is amazed at how well I have been doing on it; "night and day!" I am ID'd when I pick up my Subutex if the employee's don't know me, but it is, as someone else said, a policy at this particular pharmacy for ALL scheduled drugs, not just buprenorphine products. I'm in total agreement with this policy, btw!

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wrote on here one time why I left walgreens, it wasnt for dirty looks, but for shorting me on my subs on three diferent occasions.
this being a very rural community, theres not much to choose from. The rite aid here is where ive had the most luck. and theres actually TWO rite aids here, about 25min away from each other, becuase once in awhile one wont have enough. but hasn't been a big deal to drive less than a half hr and get what I need if I cant wait.

I probably have an easier time, becuase my boss' dad is the head pharmacist there. my boss was a coke head about 20yrs ago, and I was very honest with him when he hired me 4 weeks into recovery. the guy is awesome.
so anyway, his dad likes me too. He is also curious about the medication as someone else wrote on here about being asked how its working for you.
when I got accepted to the PAP for reckitt benksner, the pharmisist was like thats so awesome for you!!! becuse before that i was only able to pick up a week at a time usually. sometimes Id even get 2or3 days worth. they were always REALLY cool about it.

I did have to pick up outta town once, while visiting my husbands family......that wasa whole diferent experience.
It sucks that theres so much stigma surronding this medication. and i wish ppl that were curious would just ask a question instead of stare.......lol
I have no problem with answering questions about it....

okay ive rambled enough!!!!!
thanks everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ya know this always drove me nuts but the funny thing is i have had a few bad ex. with suboxone scripts. BUT I NEVER EVERA EVERA EVERA HAD ONE SINGLE NEGATIVE LOOK GETTING MY PAIN MEDS NOT EVEN A RAISED EYE BROW. If anything they treated me better!!!!!!! I used 20+ pharmacies getting my pain meds when i had a couple different DRs and im talking large amounts of oxys i mean shit i was either strung out or high every time but im special cause i have pain i guess? But at the same time i knew which pharmacist to go to over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

a worker at wallgreens called me (SUBJECT) i said to her " i reject that saying. seems she is not working there anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had my sub (along with all my other meds) filled at Walgreens for the last 2.5 years and they've never batted an eye at me. Like someone else said above, they know me by name. I know some people hate the chain pharmacies, but I've never had any problems with them. And they are convenient.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.