It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello my children. it's Queenie.

I started experiencing some lower left stomach pains a few days ago and my daughter decided it was E.R. time.

Well I had the sacre of my life. After a Cat Scan, they found 2 tumors near my ovaries and they, of course, told me they could be malignant. Well, my world fell apart!!!!!

After further testing & admission, I saw the specialst who announced "It's Benign". I never heard such beautiful words in my life.

The part I want to relay to you is "pain medication" on Suboxone. First of all, I am glad to announce, that Suboxone is very well known now. THANK GOODNESS and about time!!!!!

I have been on Suboxone 7 years. I started at 32 mgs and now my doctor has me at 8 mgs. daily. My pain was strong. The doctor gave me 4mgs. of Dilaudid and some Toradol and it covered my pain completely (even a little buzz. Shhh.. don't tell anyone). This may comfort you guys that are afraid of sudden emergencies. Right now I am waiting for a laproscopic procedure to remove and drain the tumors. They have me on the same meds every 4-6 hours, depending on the pain.

So, don't be afraid if you have an emergency. They can work around it and you will be fine.

I will let you know when I'm home and when my pain is gone, back to my Subs I go. I love you all.

Take care, hugs and love,

Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am 

Oh my goodness Queenie, I'm so thankful ur ok and it ended up being benign!! U were blessed with it not being worse. I'm sorry u had to go through the pain and ur in the hospital. Ur so lucky to have had a doctor familiar with treating a buprenorphine patient. I know it sucks being in the hospital but it sounds like ur in great hands!

Again, I'm sure I speak for the whole entire forum when I say that ur amazing and we're so thankful ur going to be ok. Rest, heal and you'll be bk home in no time! We couldn't make it without our forum grandmother :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow such great news that the tumors are benign.

Also, I want to thank you for posting about being at the hospital "in pain" and how the hospital and staff work around taking subs. I sure was hoping that by the time I ever have a hospital "problem" or any pain related to my health, that the Hospitals, and doctors offices will be WAY more informed than a few years ago. This truly gives me hope.

Thank you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 pm 

Queenie!

You have dealt with so many health conditions, and I am so so so relieved for you that the tumors are benign!! You deserve a long life with no further complications and to die peacefully in your sleep when you are 101!

Thank you for letting us know that this has happened in your life! And keep us posted as to how you're doing! Love you, sweet lady!

Amy

P.S. Thank you for providing a head's up about how your doctor dealt with your pain, knowing you are on suboxone!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm 

Hello Queenie ,
You are a ray of strength for us all. I know you are!
While you ve had quite a fright, you again offer insight and education for us. Your one tuff
cookie .
One of the biggest fears is pain control in an emergency. Thank you for shairing that it can
work out fine.
Hopeing for a speedy recovery for you.

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad I could share this with all of you. I know how frightning it is to find yourself in terrible pain and your receptors are blocked.

Razor, Jenn, Amy, Raudy!!! Thank you for all the compliments. I just want to look out for all of you.

I have read over and over how some of you, on this forum, are so afraid of sudden pain control and I can't blame you. So, we have to share experiences and help each other out. When it comes to our Sub treatment and recovery, we are all we have.

I have a special place in my heart for each of you. Hey, we may have come over on different ships but we are in the same boat now. We are a special family and other people don't know what we have gone through and are going through. We are going to make it!!!!

Hugs & kisses,

Queenie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank goodness your tumors are benign. I'm sorry that you are in the hospital but hopefully you will be home again soon. I too am on 8 mg a day and what a relief it is to know that the Dr.'s are on the up and up when it comes to treating patients who are on Suboxone. I will keep you in my prayers Queenie. Love, Angie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh Queenie, I'm sorry you are in hospital, but so glad the doctors can fix this! It means the world to us here on the Forum that the medical folks are now versed in treating those of us on Bupe regarding pain. I'm now 59 & you just never know what may happen (but now that appears to be one less thing to worry about).

I'm so glad your tumors are benign & you'll be fixed up in no time! Quite a scare though. Your experiences are so valuable to us all here.

Hoping that you are feeling better and will be home & safe very soon. Sending love & prayers your way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Grandma Queenie, I'm relieved to know that you're okay and on the mend. I'm also encouraged that you were taken such good care of in the hospital and that they were sensitive to your medical needs, especially how it relates to your pain. I know that's information that will help others who may have anxiety about treating acute pain while on subs. I'm in agreement with DeeKay in sending love and prayers your way.

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm 

We are so glad you're okay and in good spirits. That information regarding pain treatment is very valuable, just like you said regarding some of the members freaking out about what to do. Knowing the medical field is finally catching up about Buprenorphine it is very comforting. Yes, many here will feel better reading this post.

Get well soon and thanks for posting the info.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 am 

Any update, Queenie? We get a bit worried here for our members with health situations!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello my family,

Just to let you know I'm still in the hospital. Procedure to be done tomorrow. Can't wait to be in my own room & surroundings.

The pain is being controlled well, but I can't wait to get back on my subs. Although I am feeling the effects, I am terrified of liking it too much and I keep thinking of the heavy price you pay. As soon as I am out of discomfort I will transition over to subs and a normal life. It's crazy to think how we gave up our lives family, jobs, everything for this. No, thank you.

I will keep you updated. Take care of yourselves please. I love you all.

Squeezes, Queenie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Queenie,

thank you for the update, as I was def. thinking about you and your hospital stay. I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery tomorrow. You will be in my thoughts.

We are all here for you!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you raudy and all my Grands.

I'm going to try to sleep so as to not think about tomorrow morning. Just want to get it over with.

Thanks for your love & support. It means so much.

Hugs and more hugs,

Queenie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Queenie,
Sorry I missed your original post. I'm glad it is benign and you are in good spirits. Hope the procedure went well yesterday. Give us an update when you can. I'm sending love and prayers your way.
Blessings,
Lilly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Queeenie here,

Procedure done. Yes, it was painful. They gave me so many pain meds.

Now I need you guys. I'm going home tomorrow. Still with some pain. The point is this. I have noticed since last night. before meds time is up, other than the pain, I feel what I think is withdrawal coming on. I get antsy, sad, and better when I get the meds.

When I go home tomorrow, I figure they will give me an rx since I'm still in discomfort. I want to get back to subs. I'm getting scared. I'm liking this too much.

I wonder what would happen if I put a little piece of sub under my tongue. I am on 8 mgs. daily.

After my surgery, I kept an ear out for what they were giving me. I counted Fentanyl, Dilaudid. They put me on the Dilaudid pump and now percocet every 4 hours. I'm really scared. I don't like wanting opioids. I'm past that, wiser than that & smarter. What I feared most, is happening. All I want is to be back on my Suboxone.

Any suggestions, opinions?

Love you, Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:55 am 

Morning Queenie,

I can't know your pain level here but you were put on thoses meds because they were needed. There is nothing wroug with that.
Please remember your strength from before.
As far as switching back, the process is to stop pain meds,wait for a tad or more of wd, and as you said start taking your sub again. Waiting time i cant say here. You were given stroug medications but short acting.
I dont want to recommend something to you and then you become weak with Pain from surgery. You may need thoses meds for awhile . Nothing wroug with that dear.

Hope you get home today and rest up. We ll be here for ypu Queenie. Im off today so will be looking in at forum all day.

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm 

I totally agree with razor, u were given those medications for a good reason. It's ok to have to take them. Something like this could happen to any of us at any given moment and if we had to take something for pain then we'd just have to. It'll be ok.

Imo if it were me, I'd take the prescribed pain medication just a little bit longer to make sure the fentanyl has had a chance to exit ur system before going bk onto ur suboxone. Hopefully one of the doctors can give ya more advice on that fentanyl dose and how long to wait before u take ur first dose of suboxone. Ur pain will be gone soon and u can go right bk on ur buprenorphine.

It's ok Queenie, I understand it's upsetting to think ur taking a step bk by all this pain medication but ur not. This couldn't be helped and it will be ok. I think it's normal to be worried but no guilt Queenie :) u needed it.

Please keep us updated and you'll be in my prayers :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 pm 

Queenie, I believe, after doing a bunch of reading over at Dr. Junig's Talkzone, that it is safe to take a small dose of your suboxone every day along with the higher doses of short acting opioids you are currently needing to take. I know for sure that had you kept taking suboxone every day in addition to the pain meds you are being described it would be safe to take suboxone every day. I'm just not sure of how many days you've been completely off suboxone.

This is what Dr. Junig recommends for suboxone patients who undergo surgery: "I have posts in this blog describing how I like to treat post-op pain; I usually continue buprenorphine, and treat pain with a high dose of oxycodone, on the order of 3-5 times higher dose than used in people NOT on buprenorphine."

"Some prescribers and pharmacists worry about ‘precipitated withdrawal’, but that is not an issue as long as buprenorphine is continued every day. The only way to precipitate withdrawal would be to stop buprenorphine for at least a few days, boost tolerance higher with an agonist, and then give buprenorphine– which would ‘yank’ tolerance back down again. Patients who stay on buprenorphine can add agonists without fear of precipitated withdrawal."

So, Queenie, if you started taking 1mg of suboxone with your current regimen of pain meds it should not cause any PW because the suboxone won't be able to compete with the full agonists at such a low level. Once you need less of the short acting pain medication you can start increasing your suboxone dose to its regular level. This is my best understanding of how it works and what will keep you on your suboxone while still treating your pain. I hope that if Dr. J, Pelican, or Docm2 sees anything wrong with my response to you, they will jump in and let us know. As you know, I'm not a doctor. Just trying to interpret Dr. Junig's statements to how they apply in your case.

It may be that your fear of falling back into active addiction will be helped by taking that 1mg of suboxone a day even if it doesn't do much in terms of its activity in your brain. But as Dr. Junig says, the placebo effect is very real! Since you see your suboxone as the safety net that it is, taking that small dose of it may make you feel much better about also taking the pain relieving short-acting opioid agonists.

I hope this message is understandable to you Queenie, and that you are feeling back to your normal self pretty soon. Keep us informed on how you're doing.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you. It's a good feeling to know you are there.

I know I have had surgery and gone from opioids to Suboxone before but, I think we all get scared that we could get weak & slip.

I got home today and of course, my daughter got my RX. I still have pain but I am going to be smart & cautious.

I read something about when you get Fentanyl and I think that's what panicked me.

I'm so tired and I want to get some decent sleep but I will keep you guys informed of how this transition goes so you can use it if you need it and I certainly hope you don't.

Thank you for having my back loves.

Queenie