It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! I'm almost at my 2 week mark on Suboxone and (as I expressed in reply to a different post) I feel free, happy and NORMAL for the first time in over 4 years! I'm more than grateful and relieved for this opportunity. Anyway, I'm curious as to how everyone takes their suboxone? Like for example I follow directions exactly* because I have nothing/no one to compare to! Is it OK to swallow the "juices" after the pill dissolves? What would happen if the pill was swallowed by accident? Lately I've been getting nauseous after my first dose (any one know why?), which is one 8mg pill (I take 2-8mg pills a day) so I tried splitting the 8mg in half and take the two halves a few hours apart, as long as it's all in the AM - is this bad? Any remedies for the sleepiness I feel afterwards? Ahh! I hope someone can help me out, or answer any of my questions? This site has been like my bible for the past 2 weeks, so I figured I'd try asking here first before bothering the doctor. Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's how many people feel after going on suboxone and getting free of their habit for the very first time in years. I'm addressing your questions one by one:

Yes, I always swallow the juices*. I've read that you shouldn't because of the naloxone which may be absorbed in your stomach or something like that. Meh I say. I still swallow it. Sweetest taste ever.

If you swallow the pill before it has dissolved it will have no effect, because the buprenorphine won't get into your bloodstream that way. Don't worry, you'll get used to holding it under your tongue. I keep it for 20-25 minutes to make sure it's fully absorbed too.

I don't know about the nausea. Never got it, thank God. I don't see why it should be an issue if you split the dose. As far as I know, the suboxdoc advised taking a single dose to avoid taking doses to control your mood, but that's clearly not what you're doing.

As for the sleepiness? I never felt it was an issue. It generally passes after I leave the house for work. While at home in front of the telly, it's almost enjoyable.

* That's the gayest admission. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i asked before but i'll ask again...

on the suboxone blog awhile back, the good doctor wrote about optimizing suboxone absorption by chewing, dissolving in saliva, spreading around the mouth, and not swallowing for awhile, not drinking or eating after... painting the concentrated solution around the mouth to give it more surface area to absorb.

if this is the most effective way... and i believe it is... what is the rationale behind R-B telling us to dissolve it under our tongues?

just curious...

ps: speaking firsthand as a "gay" myself: personally, i don't care to swallow the juices. :)

also: i find that when i take my morning dose i don't get sleepy, i get a little push out of bed and to start my day. i wouldnt call it a "high"... it's just that i guess i can "feel" the medicine kick in. maybe it's all upstairs....

gnite.
jp

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hehe! Thanks so much for your responses, very helpful. The nausea is subsiding a bit and just like you said, if im in a situation where i'd get sleepy (sitting in front of the tv, or unfortunately - my anatomy/physiology class!) i'll fall asleep, but if i'm out and about just the opposite will happen. Thanks again guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would spit out the orange drool when I was on a higher dose of Sub. When I swallowed it I got wicked headaches. Then I read that some people spit so I tried that and my headaches went away.

Now I'm on such a low dose that I just swallow and haven't had any problems.

Dr. Junig wrote about a patient of his that freezes his Suboxone spit and reuses it! :shock:

That is one thrifty dude I say. Gross, but thrifty. I think he said he can reuse it several times. Gag.

I don't know why the Suboxone directions are to let the pill dissolve under your tongue. I guess it's simpler than saying: crush pill with teeth and spread about the inside of mouth. The crushing technique works faster than just letting it dissolve, but I never felt that I wasn't getting enough effect from just dissolving the pill until I got down to the tiniest pill fragments.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take subutex- same method---R-B suggest's under the tongue because
"The sublingual region underneath the front of the tongue is a location where the oral mucosa is very thin, and underlain by a plexus of veins. This is an ideal location for introducing certain medications to the body. The sublingual route takes advantage of the highly vascular quality of the oral cavity, and allows for the speedy application of medication into the cardiovascular system, bypassing the gastrointestinal tract. This is the only (apart from I.V. administration) convenient and efficacious route of administration of nitroglycerin to a patient suffering angina pectoris, chest pain. If the tablet is swallowed, the medication is completely neutralized by the detoxification process of the liver."
Basically there are two veins uner your tongue nad the belief held is the medicine will absorb more quickly and into the blood stream if the pill is placed there.

WHO KNOWS?

I know I swallow a lot of mine sometimes-but it is subutex, don't know if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

llubrano wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm almost at my 2 week mark on Suboxone and (as I expressed in reply to a different post) I feel free, happy and NORMAL for the first time in over 4 years! I'm more than grateful and relieved for this opportunity. Anyway, I'm curious as to how everyone takes their suboxone? Like for example I follow directions exactly* because I have nothing/no one to compare to! Is it OK to swallow the "juices" after the pill dissolves? What would happen if the pill was swallowed by accident? Lately I've been getting nauseous after my first dose (any one know why?), which is one 8mg pill (I take 2-8mg pills a day) so I tried splitting the 8mg in half and take the two halves a few hours apart, as long as it's all in the AM - is this bad? Any remedies for the sleepiness I feel afterwards? Ahh! I hope someone can help me out, or answer any of my questions? This site has been like my bible for the past 2 weeks, so I figured I'd try asking here first before bothering the doctor. Thank you!!

LOTS of good questions! As with many meds.nausea is common. Eat a bit and drink only water.Swallow the juices. Think of this like a percocet! If you don't" swallow you lose some of the med. Remember this med is sublingual,under the tongue. If you swallow you still get a percentage of the med. 70 to 80 percent. You may have increased nausea. Eat something before you take this. Under the tongue is where there is the greatest amount of blood vessels. Hence greatest area for absorption. Take the med. at bedtime.This med. can be taken anytime as long as its at the same time everyday. Take care! Stay sober! Mk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hi M0757,

Welcome here. You won't get a response from this one as it's over 3 years old. The date is up top on the right.

Enjoy the forum!

rule