It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all. Like most, I've been addicted to drugs for the past 7 years, mostly I.v. heroin/opiates. After 2.5 years of daily I.v. opiate abuse I made a transition over to I.v. subs. At first they were THE ANSWER, taking away all withdraw symptoms, drug cravings, and emotional issues from lack of opiates. In no time though I was shooting 11-16mg of sub a day (I am well aware of the ceiling effect and how I was simply wasting sub). I could do shot after shot with no satisfaction until I came down with a migraine and severe nausea. Long story short I'm down to 6-7mgs a day I.v.. Tomorrow I'm going down to 4mg and 5 days later going down to 2mg for ten days or so and then dropping to 1.5mg and so on and so on until it's time to jump. I realize this is too probably too fast, but after 2 years of doing I.v.subs I can't take it anymore. I feel horrible on them, I feel horrible off of them, I'm starting to have serious health issues etc etc. I have to stop quickly as possible. All I do is work from 5am to 7 or 8 pm, I'm shooting subs on the job all day for a "boost". I have no friends because I'm so into my addiction that it has cut me off and forces me to keep everyone at arms length. I've put my body through more abuse than could be expected from 10 lifetimes. I'm rambling but my real question is has anyone else tried a 50 or 60 day taper with any success? I buy my subs from the streets. My veins are completely ruined from years of abuse, I spend every last dime each week on subs. I can't continue down this path another step. I have a bottle of neurontin(I've researched its highly addictive qualities), enough subs for a 50 day taper, so starting tomorrow I'm jumping. I have to get through it no matter how bad it gets, I have no other options. Thanks to every one here for all the inspiring stories and truly extraordinary insight into this miracle drug. It got me off heroin and saved my life, but now it's destroying my life fast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi WF,

Welcome to the forum!

I understand your reasons for wanting to get off the subs. It is a wonderful tool, but when you don't have a doctor of your own it can definitely become just another crutch. Your desire to end the whole cycle is totally understandable, and I'm glad that you have come to the point that you want to do so.

My biggest concern with your plan to stop is the fact that you haven't dealt with the issues of your addiction to the IV use. You definitely aren't the first person here who has done this, but it does add an extra level of difficulty to your jump. Honestly, I believe the best choice for you would be to see if you can begin taking the subs in the proper way before you jump. Being able to break the ritual of shooting them every day will give you a leg up when you go to jump. And, more than likely it will improve some of your health issues as well. This might be a crazy question, but have you tried taking them sublingually? You should feel the same relief this way, and it's a good first step to breaking those old habits. I wasn't an IV user, but I have seen it explained many times that the ritual and feeling of the needle is just as addictive as the drug itself in some cases.

We would be happy to help you work through all of this. There are many, many stories of tapers on this forum. Everyone's experience is different, and some people just don't have the patience for a long drawn out taper. There are success stories of those who have jumped from high doses, but it is a much more acute WD process doing it this way.

You could stay at the dose you are currently taking, only start taking it sublingually. Then as you adjust to this first change you can begin your taper. Most people tolerate bigger drops well until they get around 4mg per day, and then begin to slow the process down a bit.

I want you to be successful with your jump. Being able to quit subs is the first step, but the ultimate goal is to stay clean long term. I am just very concerned that if you can't make that first step of giving up the needles it won't be long before you relapse. I hope you understand that I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want to give you the best chance possible at long term sobriety.

Hang in there.

Q

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hey there W :)

I must agree with Q. I know the rituals of the needle and feeling like nothing at all is going to "work or feel" right since ur so used to the needle in everything u take. But in recovery especially with suboxone there's just no need to put ur body through that anymore. U have a wonderful tool here and taking it sublingual is gonna be more beneficial for u. I totally get that ur ready to taper and so proud of u for that, so why not start with throwing out the needles and put ur subs under ur tongue. I think that beating the needle addiction in itself will be a great first step for u to begin with and u will see how much better on u and ur body it will be. I was addicted to morphine for a very long time and used it IV. Then I started using oxy and continued with the needle thinking nothing can match up to shooting it straight into my bloodstream. But it took such a toll on my body that I had to stop. So I switched to snorting and when I started suboxone treatment I had no problems taking it under my tongue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think u should start with losing the needle then doing ur taper if that's still what u want to do. U never know, if u start using sub the way it was made, u may not feel as bad as u do right now, the needle could be what's making u feel so crappy ya know? Cause it sure messed my body up horribly. But now I am healthy and sub doesn't make me feel bad. I still encourage u to taper if that's what u feel u need to do, but maybe there's other issues also making u feel bad.

I'm really glad u found this place, it sure is a blessing for us trying to be in recovery. I look forward to seeing ur posts :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 pm 

WF, are you out of your mind? I'm no doctor but you need serious inpatient help. If you think it's possible to stop the Suboxone on your own you're nuts. I won't even address the shooting up of it and the illegal buying off the streets part.

You are going to die if you don't check yourself into some kind of recovery/detox center. Do a web search to see who has the best facility in your area. Screw work, tell them whatever you need to but get some help quick.

I am hoping our good Dr. here will see this post and give his professional opinion.

This forum is for those who stay on Suboxone in a recovery model. Taking the medication the way it is intended. The Naloxone in it is probably making you very sick and is doing some damage. (as you already know) What can people on a forum say to someone like you? There are ways to recover but the way you're talking about is a waste of time. You'll end up sick and will shoot up again. That's just my 2¢ as a fellow addict.

Maybe I'm wrong and you can do it. There is a ½% chance you'll succeed.

Please call someone and get some help. Please.

rule