It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi everyone...my name is slipper and I have been around this site for about a year. I must be a slow learner because until yesterday I did not know Ultram was the same thing a Tramadol!

I recently had surgery on my rt. foot and elected to stay on bup throughout and manage my post-op pain with bup and prescription strength advil. I am taking 16mg. bup..through the post surgery. I was talking to another poster and mentioned that I had told my surgeon no pain med....so he had given me a script for Ultram and said it was not addictive.

Hatmaker was right there...thank goodness telling me it indeed was and mentioned tramadol. I have read the horror stories about tramadol on this forum..(Thank you Hatmaker).

What I don't understand is why Drs. give it to people and tell them it is not addictive?? Do they really not know any better?????? I know i could become addictive to this med. as I took the whole bottle up..it really helped with the pain...maybe not a high,,,but something..a good feeling perhaps..and i also took it when i did not need it?? So i know am one of those who would be addicted to this med. and this med. would be something i could take along with my bup and get addicted too...that really scares me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Slipper,

I'm so glad you got the information you needed about this medicine! I was one of those who got wrapped up in the tramadol/ultram and had a disastrous result. My first choice of drug was never tramadol. However I found it very easy to get prescriptions for because of the supposedly non narcotic make up of this medicine. I quickly began to use it in between scripts of hydros. When I couldn't get what I really wanted I would use the tramadol. As you said, it isn't the same type of high as a real opiate...but it would take away all of my withdrawal symptoms and I felt "comfortable" for lack of a better word. I quickly realized the more I took the better I would feel. It wasn't long before I was popping up to 20 of the 50mg's a day. I also have a brother in law who uses these. He is really addicted to them...and I never understood why but it is actually his drug of choice. He will take them over a hydrocodone any day. I also noticed that even though you can mix them with full opiates without bad side effects, it seemed to really increase my tolerance to opiates for days after I would take them. So one day I got my prescription filled for the tramadols, the next day I was in my normal routine. I had taken (if I remember correctly) about 15 of the little pills by around 3:00. We had some horses at a friends pasture and his kids called me when they got off the school bus and found a strange horse which had escaped someone else's fence trying to get into the fence with ours. So I loaded up my kids and sped down there. I waited on my husband to come help me as he was on his way home from work with the horse trailer in tow...as I was waiting I popped 4 or 5 more pills. When he got there we loaded up the horse and drove down to a neighboring welding shop to see if the man knew who the strange horse belonged to.

While we were in the shop talking I had a full out seizure. I was standing there one minute and the next thing I know I am waking up as if I was dreaming laying on the floor with my head in my husbands lap. I was so confused...I didn't even know who he was. Evidently when I fell I went straight backwards and hit my head on a piece of equipment on the way down. He said I was seizing for a couple minutes and had quit breathing and turned blue. They called the ambulance and I went to the hospital. Of course as soon as I realized what had happened I knew I had overdosed on the tramadol. I knew that seizure was one of the side effects of overdose or stopping abruptly from high doses of this medicine. Of course I didn't want my husband or anyone else for that matter to know that I was using pills recreationally. So I told the doctors that I had taken the tramadol but never told them how many...they assumed I just had a bad reaction to them. No one ever approached me and acted concerned that I had maybe taken to many. Of course now it is listed as an allergy on my medical record. I had no problem going back in months later and getting more loritab prescribed by the same doctor because I obviously couldn't take the tramadol any more.

Anyway. I just wanted to share my story with you since you brought it up. I don't know why this medication is given out so freely either. I know that the doctors in this area are aware that people are abusing it. But they don't seem concerned about it. I really think it can be more dangerous than hydrocodone/vicodin/percocet...just because people aren't aware of the danger. And I have heard so many stories of seizures associated with it. It seems to have the same withdrawal symptoms as opiates do for people who take it alot. My brother in law exibits symptoms just like I had when coming off the hydros. The SSRI properties of this medicine are really strange...I noticed a generally happy feeling while taking them almost like an anti depressant. Also they really depress your appetite. I could go days without eating while taking them. I lost ALOT of weight while I was in active addiction, and I think these things had alot to do with it.

Anyway, I hope anyone else who is thinking of taking these as an option for pain control with suboxone will read this and at least be aware of the issues it can cause. I know that this medicine doesn't seem to effect everyone that way. There are a few on these boards who have said they never felt anything from them at all. But I would hate to take the chance that I was one of those who did feel high from them and took them without knowing it was a possibility. Just having this information and being armed with the knowledge in order to make an informed decision is good enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's good info to post for others to be aware of.

qhorsegal - The same thing happened to me at a concert once. I just took ONE hit off of a joint that was being passed around by who knows??? and the next thing I knew I was waking up in my boyfriends lap on the ground with a cop staring over me asking if I want to call the ambulance. I felt fine...kinda woozy, so no ambulance was called, but I had no memory of even feeling dizzy, much less falling down backwards. Luckily, my boyfriend was right behind me and caught me before I hit the ground, and I didn't have a seizure or anything. And he took a hit off the same joint. Just goes to show that one drug effect people differently.

Last edited by Taurus on Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Yep Yep
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm 

Slipper,

ghorsegal said it all. Not much I can add but to just confirm her post. And I too used it when I was out of Norco. So if it isn't addictive or an opiate, just how does it do away with withdrawals?

And like you, it gives you a pleasant, all is good in the world feeling. Just the feeling us opiate addicts love.

Glad you saw the light,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My wife's a nurse so we ALWAYS have tramadol around and I gotta say, it never did a damn thing for me.. Once or twice, in desperation, I tried swallowing herds of them just to make the withdrawls go away and nothing-not even a little relief.. But slipper's right, they prescribe them and don't even warn you that you could get hooked.. I had no idea anyone would actually take them to get high until I joined this forum.. Very dangerous situation since they give em out without any type of warning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The other thing about Ultram is it metabolizes like or as serotonin, too (I don't know technically how it works, so don't hold me to the language). If a person is already on an SSRI medication or supplement and they take Ultram, they are then at risk for Serontin Syndrome. They often don't tell patients that either. I never knew that and I've been prescribed Ultram in the past as well.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
The other thing about Ultram is it metabolizes like or as serotonin, too (I don't know technically how it works, so don't hold me to the language). If a person is already on an SSRI medication or supplement and they take Ultram, they are then at risk for Serontin Syndrome. They often don't tell patients that either. I never knew that and I've been prescribed Ultram in the past as well.

Dear Hat....

Just exactly what is an SSRI? and what is Serontin Syndrome?

Thanks,

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And SSRI is a common type of anti-depressant and it stands for "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor". Prozac is an SSRI as are others like it. Other types are SNRI, which stands for "serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Serotonin Syndrome can happen when one has too much of it.

From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004531/

Quote:
Serotonin syndrome is a potentially life threatening drug reaction that causes the body to have too much serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells.

Another thing that affect serotonin levels are supplements like St. John's Wart. And of course Ultram, too.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It is commonly known that the Extended release Ultram caplets that have a liquid inside a hard shell can be bitten open by your teeth and then ingested as normal. Those will Def get you HIGH. I had a friend that would take these when he ran out of his Lortabs at the end of each month. He told me that the Extended release Ultrams gave him a very good high when he bit them open and ingested like 3x10-25mg doses. But he got hooked on those and OMG he swore them off said they were an awful WD when he ran out of everything and didnt have any Lortabs or Ultram extended. He said the WD was the worst ever.....It's amazing what we will do to take that WD away, chase another drug, do whatever it takes to sto the withdrawals. Good for him he stopped his Ultram dosing in time before it was too late and nothing bad happened, but yes there are horror stories of eople having serious Health issues by abusing Ultrams extended release tabs. I found this and thought I wold weigh in. If you find yourself having to chase another drug to take away withdrawals you def have a major problem and need to start looking for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

One day ata Time wrote:
If you find yourself having to chase another drug to take away withdrawals you def have a major problem and need to start looking for help.

I think that's why most people come here- they realize they have (not had, this problem of ours is life long and needs to be addressed even when not active) a problem and have either already started subs or are researching the best way to get started..