It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think with opiates there are two types of addiction. This is not just academic, it is quite important to me as I try to start subs very soon.

Type one (me) has had a long-standing Rx for pain. The Rx changed very little over 3 years being about 135mg oxys.

Having zero access to any additional drugs this reached tolerance long ago. After this I understood this sentence all too well: "

"There is no feeling good, I am only taking these drugs to avoid being very very sick". This is not trying to get out of guilt or be superior at all -- it is true. With the Rx full the highest was below what used to be normal. And any attempt to take more sooner (to feel normal for 4 hours) was met by feeling bad waiting for re-fill.

If this involved a despirate attempt to feel normal (by this time normal is a kind of high) by taking early --- a wait of some days got into w/d in a way that was a visit to hell. Relief came only with the re-fill.

If I would have had some access I am sure I would have used it to feel a lot better. There would have been more good time and probably more of a price to pay later. But I am not sure.

What has this constant under-dose done? It has made life a dull nothiing and wrecked about all I used to care about.

It has caused other health problems by forcing a kind of isolation - no activity, no people -- things will go wrong if you just sit around. Muscles will atrophy and pain will be worse everywhere.

The futile attempt to control pain can never last.

For the sake of the argument - if this is "type 1" addiction - will it stand a better or worse chance when using Suboxone, especially if the goal is to eliminate all drugs. As Dr. J has said, all things achieve tolerance, just better to be ON subs, if you need them.

But- if the goal is elimination - is there anything to be noted about this consistant Rx type of addiction???

It might be actually worse since the supply was so steady there were no real breaks. I cannot believe there are no importgant distinctions between these types.

Type II -- would be more in the illegal market- getting as much as possible, going for a high (why would you not?) -- pretty much the difference between an Rx for Oxycodone (only swallowed) and heroine injection.

Thanks for any insight. It is not a good/bad question. There are fundamental similarities. But...what of the difference?

thanks,

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't believe there is any difference between taking pain pills and shooting heroin. They both boil down to the same thing - active addiction. The route of administration (ROA) is the only difference. Sub will help with what you describe as two different "types" of addiction. Addiction is addiction is addiction. Just because I hadn't yet gone the route of shooting heroin doesn't make my addiction any less serious and it doesn't make me a different kind of addict. And of course no one is better or worse based on the ROA or the drug of choice.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

scruffy you said you started your induction a few days ago... How did things go for you?