It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A year +
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It has been 16 days since my last sub dose, I think. And things are good. Really good. All this talk about it being impossible to get off suboxone is ridiculous. Sure, it wasn't the easiest thing I ever did, but it wasn't DIFFICULT, much less IMPOSSIBLE. I know that everyone is different - but I am here to say that tapering off suboxone was easy for me because:

I started on the LOWEST possible dose that curbed my cravings and stopped withdrawals. No more. This ended up being 2mg/day.

Got down to once a day dosing as quickly as possible (this did take some time, though). I can't help but shake my head a little when I see people dosing 3 times a day. That's absolutely unnecessary and simply continues the habit of taking pills throughout the day.

Began tapering right away. I was down to 1.5mg within a month, down to 1mg within 2.

Jumped from a low dose. Probably less than .25mg.

Utilized the in-house addiction counselor at my doctor's office. She helped me A LOT with the negative core beliefs that kept me in my sick, vicious cycle.

Read, researched, studied and applied SMART recovery. Unfortunately they don't have f2f meeting in my area but their resources and tools have helped changed my mindset, especially with any fleeting urges I may have. The ABC concept and the Cost/Benefit Analysis are AWESOME.

Had a good support system. I was honest to the people I needed to be honest with. It was scary but so worth it. My husband has been my champion. Continuing to keep this secret would've made getting off suboxone extremely hard for me.

Exercise, eating healthy, vitamins, etc are KEY to getting over the PAWS hump. I also began implementing sauna use and I don't know what it is about the sauna but I come out of there feeling like a million bucks and it last for hours. The heat and sweating releases endorphins like crazy.

Also key...KEEPING BUSY. I used to think that the pills made me social but looking back I realized I didn't really do very much. I kept pretty much to myself. Now I'm constantly getting out, socializing, taking my kids to new places, making sure my husband and I have "dates".

And lastly, I stopped telling myself that I was somehow depriving myself of something. When I first stopped the suboxone I began feeling depressed - and I obsessed about the fact that I could never have pills again. This saddened me. I pitied myself. Then, one day, something clicked and I realized...what the hell? If you look at the pros and cons of using, what does it look like? Does it look like life is better with or without the drugs? For me, it was hands down WITHOUT and from that moment on I didn't feel like I was deprived, I felt like I was lucky - beyond lucky - to get away from the pills.

Do I think my recovery is complete? Absolutely not. I know that the urge to use will pop up now and then. I know I am not cured. But I am happy. I am genuinely, sincerely happy. And don't listen to the negative people who tell you it's impossible. But at the same time, don't feel like suboxone is still using (unless you're "using" suboxone). I totally believe some people need and/or want long term or life long maintenance. I was not one of them. And if you're not either, you CAN stop and life CAN be good!

"the only way out is through"

Last edited by Uwillbloved on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Two Weeks Off Sub
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

All really good stuff! Thank you so much for sharing this update. It made me really happy to read it and share in your progress. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

wow.....this was so refreshing to read. Thank you so much for your honesty and optimism.
I would love to hear more about the techniques you used. (ABC -SMART ????) I am not aware of them and hope you can tell us some more about it. I know the f2f is a NAMI meeting-is that correct?

It would be great if you could go into more detail of all this.

Thanks again for such a great post.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey lindamine,

It was really great to hear your story. I know of SMART recovery and tried to use some of that in the past. But I don't know too much about the f2f thing or whatever it is. I don't really like 12-step meetings much either. More recently I tried the Rational Recovery method, and that isn't bad either. You can just work a simple program online, and they have literature as well. Rational.org is the website. For me, as long as I have no way of obtaining drugs, like knowing people places and things as they say in 12-step programs (I moved thousands of miles from home to get clean), then I really have no way of using. Which is a really nice feeling, similar to being in jail, where you know it isn't even a possibility to get high, lol, but at least I have all the comforts of being in a really good place right now.

However, I totally hear you about feeling like something is missing from life after using opiates for such a long time. It was such a big part of my daily routine, I almost don't know what to do with myself sometimes. But then again it feels so damn good to be free from that, that nagging voice in my head telling me I'm always sick and need to take another dose just to feel normal for a few hours.

And I hear you, I take great vitamins and eat healthy and exercise, and I am a sauna addict as well. Although last night my friend took me to a HOT YOGA class last night for my first time, and all I can say is WOW. I thought the sauna made me sweat, this was like the sauna x10. I highly recommend you try it out if you like the sauna. It was a transcendental experience for me. I felt like I was going to pass out or puke at one point, lol, but at the end of the class I felt so good I was hallucinating from the endorphins and what not. That experience got me higher than any drug I've ever done in my entire life. Honestly.

Thanks for sharing your story, and keep us all updated on how you're doing. Peace and Love -GP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I could be wrong, but I read it like "Face to Face" meetings.. ? If that isn't it then I don't know what that means either lol! Anywho.. This was a great post! I love reading stuff just like this!!! WTG! Keep up the good work :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Great to read another successful hop off sub. I'm just reading about SMART recovery today, I'm also wondering what thats all about. Time to start googleing. I'm on day 13 here. already feeling great. I really only had a few tough days. Also tapered down to .25mg then quit. was much easier than i had anticipated. Anyway great story, gives hope to others for sure!

Post subject: Re: A year +
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It's been 17 months off sub. In July it'll be two years off my DOC. A recent medical scare/diagnosis left me feeling vulnerable, but I did not succumb. I love being clean.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:15 am 

UWBL, that's awesome news! I'm glad that your health scare didn't result in a slip. Thanks for coming back and updating us. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm making this a 'sticky' thread, hoping that some of the people who discontinue buprenorphine will check over time....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love seeing positive updates after a significant amount of time has passed since a member has jumped.

I totally understand why more people don't come back to post progress reports, but it sure is nice when one does!

Any other long time members out there who happen to see this, we would love to hear from you! Take a few minutes to say hi, and tell us how you are doing. I know that there are many of you out there that may not even think about your time on buprenorphine any more, but it helps others to see that it's possible to taper and live a healthy life afterwards.

Thank you so much to the member who posted this!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Uwbl,
Thank you for taking time out of your life to come back and let us know you're doing good!

So inspiring to me and others who are just not quite there yet!

You should be so proud and happy and filled with a sense of great accomplishment!
Bravo!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:33 pm 

I agree with Dr. J about making this a sticky thread. Everyone needs to read success stories like yours.

Thanks for posting and updating.

For those who are now just reading this for the 1st time, this thread goes back to 2013.

All good responses by everyone. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:27 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Another positive success story...I'm thankful to the poster who wrote this. I read this and hatmaker's posts everyday. They reinforce the fact that I, too, can have a good experience. I know you don't come through any taper scott-free but these posts do not dwell on the negative. They give me a good feeling.

uwillbloved...if you ever come back to read this...thank you so much for posting!

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ClearAqua wrote:
Another positive success story...I'm thankful to the poster who wrote this. I read this and hatmaker's posts everyday. They reinforce the fact that I, too, can have a good experience. I know you don't come through any taper scott-free but these posts do not dwell on the negative. They give me a good feeling.

uwillbloved...if you ever come back to read this...thank you so much for posting!

Hi ClearAqua,

I do come back occasionally and check up on people and try to offer advice when I can. I'm so glad you found my story helpful. I'm still plugging along, living life, loving life. The other day I experienced a rather painful injury and I totally panicked. I was petrified that the pain would be too much and that I'd need stronger medicine and I became really upset that I may "lose" my clean time. Lucky for me, I found that, when I'm not abusing narcotic pain medication, ibuprofen along with ice/heat actually works pretty well!

If you ever want to chat, feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just popping in to say hi. November 1st marked two years off subs. I haven't slipped once and I don't feel the least bit vulnerable. I have no cravings to use. Things are just...well, normal. Normal life ups and downs, and dealing with them without an opiate high :) ha!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:03 pm 

Awesome news!! Thanks for updating on ur two years, that's great. I keep saying that not enough ppl that's successfully stopped sub doesn't update enough and we only get the horror stories lol. Everyone needs to hear more from the ppl who have done it and what their lives are like now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I think your story is great, and it's positive for me to see you doing so well. (15 days clean here) I agree with you that Suboxone detox itself isn't really that bad, in terms of withdrawal, if you do it properly and get some help with it if possible. I came down to 0.25mg before jumping. I also agree that it's possible that high doses of bupe are unnecessary in some or many cases. I was on 16mg at one stage - too much in my opinion. But I became more educated on bupe as time went on.

I hope you continue to go from strength to strength in life!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm 

synthetic,

I couldn't have said it better myself!

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Man, I remember when I had 14 days clean...

I was so scared and nervous, but I never felt so good about it too. Sometimes, every day is like my first day sober.

What I mean is that I'm just as proud then as I am now. It doesn't stop.

Keep it up!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just popping in to say I'm still doing really well, no slip ups, no cravings. Life has continued getting better and better as the time goes on. Last November marked 3 years off subs. Hope everyone is well and PM if you ever need to!