It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on norco and soma for six years,went to detox and was sent home in 8 days,I have chronic pain in my back and neck. I feel like I am detoxing on my own,don't know what to do also really bad headaches every day would suboxone be something to concider at this point,I have no quality of life now.

Post subject: Yes It would
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry, you are feeling so much pain. I also have chonic pain and suboxone helps me alot with my pain. I hurted more on 120 mg of pain pills then I do on 8-12 mg of suboxone. It has really done wonders for me. I would tell you to check into finding a doctor in your area that can help you.
good Luck
mel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes you should def look into suboxone mainly right now to beat the WDs. But it could also work for your pain it didnt for me but it helps plenty of members on this forum so who knows. If you dont mind me asking and it would also help all of us, what kind of dose's (aka mgs) were u taking/what r your injuries? I dont know how suboxone treatment is in your area but my only worry is you might have to wait a while till you get into a program. But if it is not to bad you should be able to find a DR quickly.

I just wanted to throw this out there it sounds like you were getting your meds leagally with perscription thus meaning you have documented chronic pain. If so and the suboxone route just ends you up on a bunch of waiting list you can call your pain Doc and ask him about methadone. I switched to methadone from suboxone and all i can say is it saved my life. It works a thousand times better than suboxone DID FOR ME AND ONLY ME, as for next person i couldnt tell u which would work better. But i too have serious pain issues without gettint into it, ill just tell you how much meds i took a day to give you a idea. 300mg of oxycontin and 1200mcg of fentora.

But i think a congrats is in order just getting this far off the meds so good job and keep strong. And be very persistent on checking in with sub dr till you get in. But if i takes to long than again you could get meth from your dr.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 pm 
If you have legitimate pain issues and have an established relationship with a doctor who was already giving you Norco, you may want to ask him/her if they are familiar with buprenorphine. Buprenorphine patches (Butrans) are a formulation available for the treatment of chronic pain. Though to get suboxone/subutex for the treatment of addiction a doctor has to have specific training, ANY doctor can prescribe these two formulations for off-label issues such as pain treatment. If at this point you've still been opioid abstinent, if it were me, I'd probably try the Butrans patch. If I felt I still needed anything, opioids aren't really an effective treatment for chronic pain and IMO (and in the opinion of MANY medical doctors), over time make pain much worse. I took hundreds of milligrams of morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, valium and soma daily for many years and I can honestly say that at points I still had more pain than I do today on only buprenorphine. Someone mentioned methadone but it seems unlikely to me that a doctor would see a legitimate pain issue that needs to be treated with methadone as it was previously seemingly managed by hydrocodone. FYI, depending on the amount of hydrocodone you were taking daily, buprenorphine may actually have a stronger opioid effect, either way, I think the opioid effect of buprenorphine is pretty comparable to hydrocodone. Good luck, please keep us posted!

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea for get my post i didnt realize till just now you were only on hydros. Methadone would be a step up for pain meds than you would really be into deep. Thanks for pointing that out travis. Def take travis advice seriously he knows what hes talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Howard,

Thanks for posting this. Most everyone here has gone through what you are describing. Your body is used to having norco and is trying to trick you into giving it more. The headaches and pain are classic. I just read an article from Dr Junig which mentioned the same response. I had six back surgeries myself over the past 20 plus years. Fused up entire lumbar, and live with daily pain. Nobody (except my wife) wold blame me for taking something for it. The problem is that it ends up not being enough, and your body tricks you. The pain is very real. I have been on suboxone for over a year now and believe it was necessary to get away from the addict lifestyle. I can tell you i'm in the middle now. I don't think about narcotics anymore, but am having trouble stopping the subs. A quick story- I was working at a Walgreens pharmacy about 6 weeks ago. (I know, funny) I was moving some shelving and found about 3 or 4 norco. I quickly pocketed them and had that old feeling of excitement that comes with it. However, when I got home, I flushed them and forgot about it. I was proud of myself after that. So I don't know if we ever get back to where we were before narcotics, but I am much better than when on them. If it helps at all, you are in the one of the hardest parts of it right now. There is no such thing as rapid detox, I don't care what anyone tells you. It has been a part of your life for a long time and it's going to take a long time to get away from it. Try to stay strong. Find a hobby that you enjoy and immerse yourself in it. Music and reading are for me.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Howard,

Thanks for posting this. Most everyone here has gone through what you are describing. Your body is used to having norco and is trying to trick you into giving it more. The headaches and pain are classic. I just read an article from Dr Junig which mentioned the same response. I had six back surgeries myself over the past 20 plus years. Fused up entire lumbar, and live with daily pain. Nobody (except my wife) wold blame me for taking something for it. The problem is that it ends up not being enough, and your body tricks you. The pain is very real. I have been on suboxone for over a year now and believe it was necessary to get away from the addict lifestyle. I can tell you i'm in the middle now. I don't think about narcotics anymore, but am having trouble stopping the subs. A quick story- I was working at a Walgreens pharmacy about 6 weeks ago. (I know, funny) I was moving some shelving and found about 3 or 4 norco. I quickly pocketed them and had that old feeling of excitement that comes with it. However, when I got home, I flushed them and forgot about it. I was proud of myself after that. So I don't know if we ever get back to where we were before narcotics, but I am much better than when on them. If it helps at all, you are in the one of the hardest parts of it right now. There is no such thing as rapid detox, I don't care what anyone tells you. It has been a part of your life for a long time and it's going to take a long time to get away from it. Try to stay strong. Find a hobby that you enjoy and immerse yourself in it. Music and reading are for me.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Howard,

Take care.