It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Trying to quit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Let me preface my post by saying that I have been on Suboxone for over 2 years. I would be dead without it, so no matter how much of a nightmare it has been to get off of it, I am so thankful for it.

I have never 1005 committed to coming off of it until now. I have definitely weened down, but have always stopped at about the 2mg point. I always found myself so tired and out of it, that I had to take more in order to keep my job.

Anyhow, I am ready to be off of it, but I could really use some advice where to go from here.

I had an injury a few days back and my doc put me on percocet. I took 75mg spread out over 5 days. During this time I didn't take any sub at all. At day 5 I was in bad WDs and caved and took 1mg of sub and then today took .5mg. Today is day 7. The 1mg and the .5 mg have been amazingly effective and I feel pretty much 100% normal.

What I really need is a plan from here. Basically, I have been waiting as long as I can stand it and then I am taking some. I think next time I take anything it will be .25mg, but I just need some help so that I have a plan and am not going by the seat of my pants.

I would really appreciate the help from here on out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I need some advice please. Anything. thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As to the above injury, I fell down the stairs and wrecked my back. Trust me i didn't want to take any narcs, but it was the only thing that took it away even a bit.

I figured I would let this lead me into getting off of the subs.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I basically tried the same thing about a year ago. I was able to use the low dose percs to ward off the withdrawal from Sub. In a sense, I let the perc occupy my receptors while the Sub was leaving my body. The problem was, I had such low energy and became so depressed I couldn't STAY off the Sub.
In theory your plan could work. You have only taken 1.5mg of Sub in 7 days. So the level in your system should be way down, although it takes about 9-10 days to clear out your system totally when taking 0 Sub. If you keep your doses low (you said 0.25 mg) it will behave like a short acting opiate and not build up in your system. if you can get by on the 0.25mg, I would do that for a few days, then maybe start delaying your dose an hour a day until you have skipped a whole day. By then, you might be able to go off comfortably.
To be honest, I don't really know. I think anyone can tough out getting OFF Sub , but you will need a plan to STAY off.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the response.

I am feeling pretty bad, but nothing I cannot handle. I am just worried about what to do from here, so thank you. I am just going to wait as long as possible to take anymore and continue doing that. I am not trying to draw this out an additional month, but if that is what it takes, I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, flying by the seat of your pants might not be a bad way to go. And by that I just mean be flexible and listen to your body. I think your idea of waiting as long as possible between doses could work out well for you. And take a little less each time you do take some. Let us know how it works out. And good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi thelasttime,

I agree, spreading out your doses is probably the best option for you, especially seeing as you're already 7 days into this.

Lilly brought up a really good point, it's something that we often miss when we're tapering or detoxing......what's your plan to STAY off of opiates??

I've been off Suboxone for over a year and I lapsed/slipped twice because I thought will power alone could make me stay clean. Personally, I attend NA and I find it very helpful.

Try to give some thought as to what you're gonna do when you get off of Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey lasttime, I agree with all the above posters.

Also, don't psyche yourself out about the jump. A lot of it is a mental game. Just wanted you to know, I jumped from 4 mg's on july 4th to 2 mg's then from 2 mg's to 0 on july 6th. The first 5-6 days sucked, but you start feeling much better after that.

To be perfectly honest, I was quite surprised at how tolerable this experience has been.

Good Luck!