It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

PLEASE RESPOND!!! I have been taking Suboxone for a year. I take 2mgs a day, never took anymore than that. I am on probation and I have to stop taking them now because my drug tests at the outpatient facility are now being sent to a lab. I also want off them really bad, but I can't taper because I have to have them out of my system in 6 days. Today is the end of day one, other than not having much energy and stomach cramps and diarhhea, I feel ok. I'm really scared about the withdrawals to come and I'm a waitress that works on my feet all day long and can't afford to miss much work so I need to get through this as soon as possible. I have no insurance and can not get any medication to help unless it is over the counter b/c of my drug screens. PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT I SHOULD BUY, TAKE, OR DO TO EASE THE W/DS? Anything to help with going to sleep, lack of energy, cold sweats, the legs cramps and restlessness especially the stomach issues and diarhhea. Please, if anything that helped you get thru the hell I am about to be in the middle of... would you share with me? Thank you all so much. I want true sobriety so much and I would greatly appreciate anything that would help make this week or 2 ahead of me even a tiny bit easier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I jumped off at 2mgs and im not going to sugar coat the shit. Days 5-8 are real shitty, after that it is pretty much just a mental thing that you have to try and stay busy to get your mind off of. See if you cant take a few days off work, thats what i did, cause im on my feet all day, and me personally couldnt have done it, i had no energy. Im on day 10 now though off subs and now its just a depressed, sluggish type feeling, but also everyone is dif. Since your on probation my method to sleep won't help. Just get immodium for stomach problems, benedryl for sleep, and this vitamin l-thyrisine. I also used alot of those 5hr energy shots, and found them to help alot to get through the day. Not too much you can do about it, but dont get scared by all the bullshit you read either. It isnt that bad, i freaked myself out by alot of stories i read but eventually found out alot of it is a mental thing. Fatigue is the major role tho, and leg and back pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Im sorry that you are being backed into a corner right now, but its something you will have to do and remember you a have no choice in this situation. What was previously suggested immodium for your tummy, benadryl for sleep, IBPROFEN for muscle aches and all the hot showers you can take!! Make sure no matter how bad you are feeling stay hydrated and EAT WELL!!! Also if you can get a multivitamin in case you don't eat right. I know for me WORK was the best place for me, I HATED it but looking back I was forced to get up and get going NO MATTER WHAT and it kept my mind off of things temporarily and the time passes by quickly. You know while you are working your not going to be at your best, but at least you wont be thinking and fixated on withdrawing at every moment, yeah your going to feel it but you will be busy. I wish the best for you and I would like to hear how things go. Take CARE!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Megan -

Does your employer know you are on Suboxone? Others can speak to this, but it's my understanding that standard 5 panel or 7 panel (can't remember) tests - suboxone (Buprenorphine) does not get tested.

I have heard that the lab has to specifically test for suboxone. It's possible of course that an employer may test for suboxone - but it would be expensive if they did that test on all employees. With today's budgets, if the employer is using standard tests (to save cash) - you should NOT POP positive for opiates. Buprenorphine is only a partial agonist opiate drug and not considered a full opiate (thus we don't get a high feeling).

Again, you probably know more about what they are testing for. Others here can speak to the typical employer drug tests, or you can search the forum for drug panel tests.

My answer probably doesn't help much, but I'm pulling for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LatheDude wrote:
Hi Megan -

Does your employer know you are on Suboxone? Others can speak to this, but it's my understanding that standard 5 panel or 7 panel (can't remember) tests - suboxone (Buprenorphine) does not get tested.

I have heard that the lab has to specifically test for suboxone. It's possible of course that an employer may test for suboxone - but it would be expensive if they did that test on all employees. With today's budgets, if the employer is using standard tests (to save cash) - you should NOT POP positive for opiates. Buprenorphine is only a partial agonist opiate drug and not considered a full opiate (thus we don't get a high feeling).

Again, you probably know more about what they are testing for. Others here can speak to the typical employer drug tests, or you can search the forum for drug panel tests.

My answer probably doesn't help much, but I'm pulling for you!

I agree with this person. I doubt the drug test will have suboxone as one of the drugs, they are way more expensive. In my outpatient program my dr. there piss tested us and even told me that the suboxone ones are rarely used because of the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was tested for my job after being on Sub for a year and nothing was said. I had to get tested at court because my Ex was trying to take my daughter and I saw the labs and there were no positives. I had been on 12mg a day 4mg 3x a day.
My Dr tests my urine in the office and he shows me that the suboxone shows up, but he needs to make sure patients are taking their meds. I wouldnt stress out to much.

Good Luck

Post subject: what is the deal??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm 
Suboxone is a legal drug, a medicine prescribed to you under a doctor's care. I am also on probation, for drug crimes, no less, and I do not think that the probation people can make you just stop taking a legally prescribed medicine. (Yet I know that in reality Probation Officers have an unbelievable amount of unchecked power). Have you actually talked about this to your PO, or are you just assuming they will say no? I know in the state of VA, where I live, they HAVE to let probationers take opiate maintenance drugs. Your state may be the same. Or another way to know would be to find out who the supervisor is in your probation office, and call anonymously, and ask.

Stuff like this makes me really angry. This is evidence that the (in)justice system only wants more prisoners to warehouse, and not drug users to actually reform.
JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you are on probation, you cannot be presribed any narcotics unless the prescription meets two criteria. 1) you must have had the prescription prior to the onset of probation and 2) the prescription must in no way be related to your charges. This is what my PO told me. I told her I was having severe cravings for my DOC and that I was very scared I may relapse and was considering seeing a suboxone doctor. She told me that was fine, as long as I didnt mind serving out my sentence.

My advice to anyone is to quit. There is no easy way out of suboxone, nor any other narcotic for that matter. Eventually, you will have to experience the pain of withdrawl. I'm on day 4 coming off 4mg with no taper. Im at work right now. Granted I sit. I feel like dog crap. But it will pass. I know that from experience.

Be strong, talk to people about it. Dont pick up. Power through the pain. You can do it! After it's over you will be so so proud, and you will be yourself again. This is my opinion from experience.

Post subject: Actually...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 pm 
Like I said, in the state of Virginia if your doctor prescribes an opioid maintenance drug, Probation/Parole cannot deny it to you. My Senior PO confirmed this. Other states may vary. And believe me, some of the PO's don't like it!! I had a PO that basically told me, "I think you're getting away with murder" because I was able to take Suboxone. No matter that I repeatedly explained to him how Suboxone doesn't get you high, and how it blocks full opioid agonists. It didn't matter to him. He would rather have me getting high on illicit drugs and then going back to jail. To people like that, a pill is still being taken, and if some pills are bad, then all pills must be bad. It's just sad how uneducated some people choose to remain.
It's going to be a long road until this country realizes that abstinence-based recovery isn't the only solution.
JD

Post subject: JD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sure your PO deals with a lot of difficult people which has reinforced his bias. But thats no excuse for not accepting a proven, accepted, and legal route to recovery. These people [who are suppose to be professionals] should keep these kinds of opinions to themselves. I'm sure you will be especially happy to have him out of your life... I hope sooner rather than later.