It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So figured since many of us opiate addicts are also smokers I'd share what has helped me quit again this time around. I tried Chantix at first and it did definately seem to help but I only stayed on it a month or so because my insurance won't cover anti-smoking meds and was costing me an insane amount of money more than smoking each month actually. Anyways needless to say I started smoking again here in the last few weeks and didn't want to give up on it altogether (had probably 4 other people in the family die of lung cancer) and well it really is like smoking dollar bills it's gotten so expensive. Went back to the Dr. told him I wanted to give quitting another shot and he suggested we try Wellbutrin which he could prescribe for reasons the insurance company would cover but that would also help me quit smoking and sure enough within the first week I stopped again it was ridiculous I literally had no desire whatsoever to smoke it made it so easy. It's my 5'th day so far without a cigarette and I really haven't even thought about it that much which I can't believe since I've been smoking since I was 14. If anyone else is looking for a way Zyban has really, really made it easy for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's great!

I take wellbutrin for depression but I'm pretty sure it helped me quit smoking too.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I smoke like a chimney! 2-3 packs a day.

If you figure out what works, let me know. I find it easier to stop an opiate than to stop smoking. Isn't that weird?
Now they're costing me approximately my left nut a day. Sheesh. Nothing worse than being forced by your friendly, caring government to quit.

I wouldn't be suprised if you see TA meetings (Tobacco Anonymous). I wonder either being an opiate addict or a tobacco addict these days has the worst stigma, you know? Tobacco is probably more dangerous, its guaranteed death.

Then you hear this second hand smoke crap. Ok, maybe there is something to it, but sheesh, lets not forget coal power, engine exhaust, ozone, etc. Thats all harmless compared to second hand smoke! Oh, I forgot Radon.. Still, don't smoke within 30 feet of somebody. In Illinois, there are laws that you 'have to stand 25 feet from a building entrance'. WTF is that? It tempts you to hold your last hit and exhale in the buiilding doesn't it? Then I'd be a murderer due to the Len Bias law.

Did you know that I think 15-20% of wisconsin residents are involved in the criminal justice system (Jail, probation, etc)? Whats with this and our 'throw everyone in jail for everything' society? Watch the news sometime. They jail/arrest people for the stupidest things these days.

Thats ok, make it illegal.. Then they'll ban alcohol again afterwards.. Now that really worked out well before didn't it? hah

Ok that was way off topic, but this smoking thing got me ranting. Essence is that I want to quit when I am ready, not when my government decides it for me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jamez are you implying prohibition didn't work so swell? Sure seems like it worked about as well as our current War on Drugs I totally agree with you though about how ridiculous some of the anti smoking laws have gotten even here in my relatively small city in Indiana where a still very sizable number of people smoke they've almost pulled off a smoking ban in public buildings. I'm sure it's not exactly healthy for those around you but jesus christ I don't think they're instantly going to get lung cancer. Anyways I really was suprised how easy it was to quit this time I've probably tried at least 5-6 other times using patches, gum, cold turkey, chantix, nothing seemed to work extremely well.

Post subject: new smoking laws
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Under the new legislation:

Specifically, the measure for the first time will give the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate what goes into tobacco products, demand changes or elimination of toxic substances and block the introduction of new products.

• Cigarette packages will have warning labels that cover 50 percent of the front and rear. The word "warning" must be included in capital letters.

• Any remaining tobacco-related sponsorships of sports and entertainment events will be banned, as will giveaways of non-tobacco items with the purchase of a tobacco product. A federal ban will be imposed on all outdoor tobacco advertising within 1,000 feet of schools and playgrounds.

• Point-of-sale advertising will be limited to adults-only facilities, and remaining vending machines will disappear except in places restricted to adults. Retailers who sell to minors will be subject to federal enforcement and penalties.

• Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.

I quit smoking and think this new legislation is a step in the right direction, at least from the surface. I must investigate this more but I think harsher restrictions on tobacco companies illustrates the growing awareness to not only the dangers of smoking cigarettes, but the implementation used in promoting these products. It seems it is aimed specifically at the younger generation who are most influenced by what they observe around them.

But I think when it comes down to it, kids dont start smoking because their favorite musician smokes, but rather because the people they hang out with day in and day out smoke. Peer pressure at the immediate level must be addressed more so than anything else. That means parents interacting with their kids more and having more knowledge of their kids friends and the specific dangers that follow rather than the generalized dangers all parents and educators seem to abide by. If your parents knew your friends smoked they could attack the problem from a different angle. Same with any drugs...

Post subject: one more thing...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I dont care who smokes, who drinks, who puffs some green etc... grown ups can choose what they want to put in their bodies - HOWEVER, what I do mind, is taking my kids for a walk, to the pool, to a park, and people are not even considerate and turn their heads while smoking if a kid walks by... if I see a smoker to makes an effort to not blow smoke in my kids faces, i have no problem with it.... if I have to try and walk around a big cloud of smoke while they sneer at me, let the dirty looks begin! hands down the worst place I have ever been to for smoke is the Grandby Zoo in Montreal, Canada. It was the biggest bunch of overweight, smoking people crammed in the heat with the smell of animal shit... fun fun... :)

anyway, have a good weekend peeps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ah government, they get scared and regulations fly! Not to go on a big rant but sometimes it just gets really crazy what I've realized is that the times I've attempted to quit this time particularly: it wasn't the price of cigarettes or some new warning label or the fact there wasn't a cool Camel advertising my favorite brand it was wanting to be able to break a 6:50 mile. The price was inconvenient but it never stopped me I just would sacrifice in other areas and considering how people in lower economic brackets seem more predisposed to smoking do we really want to make their lives even more difficult? I guarantee you many times if it comes down to getting a meal or a pack of ciagrettes that person will all to often choose the cigarettes, I know because I've been there! I hate to say it but even making smoking/tobacco illegal isn't going to stop people. I swear it's almost like history doesn't even exist sometimes why can't anyone learn anything from the mistakes of our past? (wow an addict saying that is pretty funny :lol: ) If we're going to continue this belief that we can legislate people into health where are the warning labels on fast-food? Complications from obesity kills more people annually than even smoking now! Ah well I'm done for now I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll probably die with a cig in my mouth.

Yeah I know, not very positive. I find it harder to stop than an opiate for some odd reason. They really underestimate the intensity of the withdrawal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's been almost a week and a half this time around and I'm starting to not even feel jealous of other people I see smoking. After the first couple of days it really has gotten pretty easy. I've really been blown away by how little withdrawal there has been this attempt, again if anyone wants to quit and hasn't tried either Zyban/Wellbutrin or Chantix I've had alot of success with both I just don't think I stayed on the Chantix long enough because of cost. I can't believe how much more money I have now even after just a little over a week of quitting :) I haven't put on weight yet either, actually I've lost some.

Post subject: quitting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

why do some people find it hard to quit cigs and others (like myself) have no problem stopping? In fact I dont even like to smoke anymore. It must be some kind of mental thing going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know, I guess everyone's just different. It took me many many many attempts to quit smoking. I started at the ripe age of 13 and I remember I was going to quit at 15, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25...you get the picture. I quit and abstained sometimes for over a year and then I'd be out for a drink, would bum a smoke off someone...and then suddenly I was buying packs again.

Or I'd be at school and the same thing would happen - get a coffee with a friend, bum a smoke. Suddenly, I'm a smoker again. WTF?

But I just kept trying and trying and then one day my best friend went out for a smoke and I went with her but when I held the smoke up to my mouth I just didn't want it. I hadn't smoked in months at that point, but that was the first time that I realized that the desire was really just gone.

I haven't bought a pack of smokes in years, and I think I probably smoked 2 cigarettes in the past year but thinking about it now I just don't have any desire to smoke. I remember the last time I had one it didn't taste good and I didn't finish it, so I guess I'm finally over it.

What it feels like is that it finally became more of a habit not to smoke, and then I didn't even have to think about it anymore. My smoking triggers are all defused now I guess. One thing that helped was when Washington made smoking in bars/restaurants illegal. For some reason whenever we'd go out dancing I'd end up smoking, but now no one smokes inside so I'm not tempted.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Re: quitting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

a692poundgorilla wrote:
why do some people find it hard to quit cigs and others (like myself) have no problem stopping? In fact I dont even like to smoke anymore. It must be some kind of mental thing going on.

I dunno. I'm excatly like you. I like smoking, but I only like to smoke a few. You know, one in the morning, one after eating anything, one when you get in the car, etc. But I've never been the type to smoke a pack a day. And if I quit opiates the probability is that I will stop smoking altoghether, without any problems or cravings. That's what's always happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ya when I was opiates I smoked like a chimney, but now that I am on suboxone I really dont have the urge to smoke anymore. I do every once in awhile and its nice I guess, sometimes, but it is not like how it was, no where near. I have many friends who smoke and they for the life of them cannot quit. It takes a great deal of commitment. Habits are a shitty thing if you think about it. The only thing that drives people, I think is change. The universal constant if you will. So being open to change means being open to changing a habit(addiction). I think in order to change any habit or addiction one must search for the reason to change. It cannot be given, it must be found. Also, one must apply their only principles to the entire system of anything as a whole and see how it fits. If what your doing or believing seems to be a cancer more so than a benefit, it is easier to change because it is much clearer in a broader sense. One must only have an open mind to succeed in anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Set a quit date. Decide what day you will extinguish your
cigarettes forever. Write it down. Plan for it. Prepare your
mind for the "first day of the rest of your life". You might
even hold a small ceremony when you smoke you last cigarette, or
on the morning of the quit date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There are defenately happened alot with public smoking regulation. I remember when i was in school that the students was allowed to smoke in some areas from 7 grade and up - in Denmark thats around age 12-13. Nowadays i sometimes get surprised by a no smoking sign - outside! We allready have big warnings on the packets and from what ive been told the next step is pictures. Oh yea. Detailled pictures of medical horrors caused by smoking.
I quit smoking for 4 months or so while on methadone, started smoking again while detoxing though. Nikotine inhalators was a big help at that point. It actually feels like smoking with a small "itch" when inhalating.
Im currently thinking abit about electric smoking ( E-Cigarettes - lol at that name). I believe it`s using vaporised water/nikotine - so you are smoking waterfumes really. The best part of that is that you can "light it" in public places - busses, trains, office`s and watch ppls reactions.

Post subject: Re: one more thing...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

mwflorida wrote:
I dont care who smokes, who drinks, who puffs some green etc... grown ups can choose what they want to put in their bodies - HOWEVER, what I do mind, is taking my kids for a walk, to the pool, to a park, and people are not even considerate and turn their heads while smoking if a kid walks by... if I see a smoker to makes an effort to not blow smoke in my kids faces, i have no problem with it.... if I have to try and walk around a big cloud of smoke while they sneer at me, let the dirty looks begin! hands down the worst place I have ever been to for smoke is the Grandby Zoo in Montreal, Canada. It was the biggest bunch of overweight, smoking people crammed in the heat with the smell of animal shit... fun fun... :)

anyway, have a good weekend peeps!

Yep I agree with you. I was smoking until the day I found out I was preggers- I wouldn't have been able to quit otherwise. Nic gum was pretty good, but hurt my jaw :) But I always kept my cigs and cig smoke away from little ones. People are just as rude around pregnant women, too... except I was at my friend's house and all the smokers went in the other room to puff. I thought that was nice. :)
I am even against the outrageous tax hikes on cigarettes and gov't regulations. I think taxes on products should be more evenly distributed- otherwise you get one small group of people paying more taxes than everyone else. And what if all those smokers throw away they're cigarettes once and for all? Then the state has no revenue, freaking idiots. Just put a stupid tax on soda already, not because it causes obesity, but because it causes tooth decay!! FML!! Also anti-smoking add campaigns really piss me off. I live in NYC, and if I have to see one more picture of a diabetic woman claiming all her 27 amputations were a result of smoking tobacco, I'll probably start smoking again, 9 months pregnant, right in front of one of those posters!!

OK... I'm kidding about that last part... But I will go postal if hubby doesn't quit now. He's been promising to quit throughout my entire pregnancy, and with 3 days until my due date, he still hasn't :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My quit date is 1 May 2015. My 40th birthday is on the 20th and I swore I'd quit on my 25th birthday. I'm a tad bit late.
Opiates have always made me want to smoke more, esp oxy. I don't feel like I have that overwhelming urge on suboxo e like I did on other meds. I took up vaping about 8 months ago, it's not any better in my opinion. The only thing good about it is that I don't stink anymore. Honestly vaping I've become more obsessive to have nicotine because I can vape anywhere. So I vape everywhere and hence I'm more addicted than ever. I don't want to get on any meds like Chantix because I just got off an ssri and it was a pretty bad withdrawal. One thing at a time. One day my goal is to not have to rely on any toxic chemicals and just be me. With me luck! Any advice on quitting? Any shared stories? Thanks

Sherah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sherah

The best thing you can do is quit and stay quit! It's like stopping opiates for me, i can (could) quit but i would also start again, even after not smoking for a year! Funny you should post this, i have to quit for good so maybe we can support each other. There are apps for quitting, american cancer society gives you tips and support..lots of helpful info on the web.

You can do this! It will make a real difference in your overall health

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:22 pm 

Sherah, I wish you all the positive vibes in the world as you seek to quit! I admire you for setting a date to stick to and I know you can do this!! I was lucky to never get addicted to cigarettes, except for a brief fling with clove cigs.

Make your own post here and keep us updated to help you stay accountable. You can inspire others who want to quit, while getting support on a daily basis. That's what we're here for!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:42 pm 

Sherah,

Like you, I also set a date for quitting. With me, I had made a promise to my wife that I would stop in our first year of marriage.

What I did was to ask every person I could who had previously quit and have them tell me how they did it. Then I put as much of it into my own program (per say) and did it that way. Obviously, one of the methods was to commit to a date and build up your mind during that time in between.

Here is what I remember:

1) Set a date
2) Made a list of the bad things cigs do to me, both physically and mentally.
3) Made another list of the positive things that would happen after I stopped.
4) Used Nicorette gum for 2 weeks, limiting my dose to 3 pieces per day.
5) Bought a tape that was supposed to give me subliminal messages while I went to sleep. I have no idea if it worked or not. All I heard was the ocean waves.
6) I told myself it was a promise. I've never broken a promise before.
7) Allowed myself to gain weight w/o the guilt. I gained about 15 lbs and lost it 2 years later by jogging.
8) Did breathing exercises similar to meditation.
9) Absolutely made the commitment that I would NEVER take one puff, or smoke a cigar, or anything that would make me slip backwards. Even today I have never put any tobacco smoke in my lungs since quitting.
10) I didn't try, I plain quit.

That's all I can remember for now. My quit date was 04/15/1990 and man 'o man am I grateful for stopping. It never even crosses my mind. Even if the world were to end today, I would not smoke. That's how far away from me it is.

Don't try. Do It!

rule62

P.S. I did not put in that smiley face for number 8. It did it by itself and I can't get rid of it.