It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Trying to play it safe.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My 21st birthday is on August 14th!! Lol anyways I obviously want to have a few drinks but I am scared that I might get really sick while on my suboxone. I took about only 8mgs a day right now. Any suggestions? Should I just not drink?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi! I don't know alot, but my boyfriend and I were wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. He found somewhere on the net that it wasn't a good idea. I had thought that it was. It had something to do with the same aspect as benzos. I would imagine the deppresant effect. I'm not sure where he found it and what it exactly said, but we decided against drinking. I know that probably wasn't much help since I can't offer specifics. I was pregnant on my 21st birthday, so I can sympathize with you. I'm sure that someone on here that does know what they are talking about will answer you very shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

we all know that a recovering addict is supposed to stay abstinate from everything. that beeing said the decision is up to u. my personal experience-i been on subs for 4-5 years and it actually took away any of my desires to drink so usually i dont but once in a while i will go out with some friends and i will have a few shots an then a few more beers. i usually get drunk but it doesnt taste the same....i cant explain it-its like i just dont want it at all. if ur worried about it than maybe find some info online about subs and acohol. one of the moderators here will probly b able to help u with it. they are very informative

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not really sure what the official position on mixing alcohol and suboxone is. I'm assuming it might be dangerous because of potential respiratory depression.

On the mental side, alcohol lowers inhibitions, so it's much easier to make a bad decision that you might regret once you're sober.

Personally, I have had a glass of wine with dinner a couple of times since I've been on Sub, and I've had a cocktails (like two) a few times with friends. This is in almost two years time. I'm not a drinker really. It gives me headaches so I don't indulge very often at all. And I've been that way for years. I haven't been drunk since my 20's!

You could do a search on Sub and alcohol and see what comes up. And it's really got to be up to you to decide if you think it's a good idea to go out drinking or not.

-Jack Kornfield