It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My induction is Tuesday and starting tommorow morning I have to go through wd's. I'm really dreading it but know it's gotta be done but I'm nervous all the same. They tend to hit me hard and fast. Uggh. I'm also nervous about the appoinment, new doctor I've never met . I guess it's just fear of the unknown. And it just figures but tonight me and a friend got into a big fight over something stupid. Last thing I needed right now. My nerves are shot and I guess I just needed to vent and ask for some encouragement. I'm trying to look at the positives, I'll finally be able to put this addiction into remission but fear and anxiety have my stomach in knots. Im going to get through the next 48 hours but man it's gonna be a helluva time. Have to keep the big picture in mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey free_bird, welcome to the forum. I know this is a scary time for you, but it is also exciting. You are taking steps toward getting your life back, and that is amazing. It's hard not to be nervous when you don't know the doctor or what to expect, and you are looking forward to being in withdrawal on top of all that...whew! But you will be ok. Better than ok even.

You only need to be in moderate withdrawal when you do your induction, so don't feel like you have to put yourself through hell or anything. When I was inducted, they told me to make sure I was experiencing three of the main symptoms that I usually experienced when in withdrawal. For me it was goosebumps, runny nose, and achy legs. I was told to abstain from opiates for 12-24 hours prior to my induction. If you know that your withdrawals usually kick in fast and hard, you should use that information to figure out when to take your last dose of opiates before your induction.

One thing is important - the 12-24 hours is for people on short-acting opiates. If you've been on methadone, you have to be off longer before you can induct.

Once you get your Suboxone, you will be feeling so much better. The medication works pretty quickly, you can feel it within 20 minutes or so, and it peaks like 2 hours after you take it. I felt great about an hour after my first dose. I went to work that day and was fine. I had some ups and downs that first week while we figured out my ideal dose, but I was feeling so much better than I had been feeling that it wasn't hard to cope with the adjustment. It was like my mind was clear for the first time in forever.

Something that helped me was writing down all my questions for the doctor. That way I didn't have to worry about remembering, and I knew that I would get the answers I needed. If you are concerned about not knowing how much withdrawal you should be feeling before induction, you can google the COWS opiate withdrawal scale and take a look at the questions. You should score a 5 or 6 on the COWS before you do your induction.

I don't know how long you've been using, or what or how much - but if you've decided to get on Suboxone you've probably been through some of the same stuff most of us have gone through. The worst thing for me was not knowing how I would ever be able to stop. Even if I was able to quit the pills for a few weeks, I could never get past the horrible depression. I felt so trapped and my life was on the verge of chaos. I felt desperate and lost.

Getting on Suboxone changed my life. Well, getting on Suboxone and getting a treatment plan and working on my recovery is what really changed my life. But Suboxone made it possible. I took Sub for 2 years and have been off of it for 9 months now, and I'm doing great. I'm glad you are here and I encourage you to continue posting to the forum. There are so many wonderful and wise people here and we all try to help each other on this journey. I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of them soon!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:09 am 
free_bird, you're going to be OK. You just have to go through moderate withdrawals, which for me was achiness, sweats, and mild nausea and diarrhea. It never even got as bad as the flu for me. Just keep focusing on the fact that you are going to get releif. You will go on Sub and the sickness will end, period. It is so worth a few hours of sickness to get into recovery. Keep your eye on the prize - you'll be off the rollercoaster forever.
Wishing you all the best,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 am 
Well......it's Monday freebird! WooHoo! You're almost there! Do as has been suggested and check out the COWS scale and use it. It's a much better guide than the time-frame approach. There is no reason to be in horrifice w/d before starting bupe. I was just like DOQ....goosebumps and sweats, runny nose and achey legs.....that's all I had to endure. I even slept fine the night before my induction. Withdrawal from short-acting opiates generally doesn't kick in all that hard-core until more than 24 hours has passed since the last dose. Don't psych yourself into a worse experience than is necessary. If you can kind of think back objectively to your w/d experiences previously, and using the COWS scale you're sure you would have scored higher than 5 or 6 by the 12 hour mark, then there's probably no reason for you to go without opiates for over 24 hours. Does that make sense? I've heard of several people who have done fine with only 12 hours or so off. Personally, I wanted a good 24, just to be on the safe side. But again, w/d at that level is not intolerable to me. Compared to how bad I knew it would get given another 24 hours......the first 24 was a walk in the park!! Plus, I knew the whole nightmare was about to stop. That, in itself, made that few hourse of w/d less horrid!
You are going to feel so much better. Just hang on! Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

How are you feeling? I know dumb question. Sorry. Just keep your head up and remember tomorrow you will be great. You will feel normal. Keep that in your mind and the withdrawals won't be as bad. You can do this. Hopefully you are sleeping right now or doing something to make the time go by faster. You are taking the right step. It will be here before you know it. Hang tough. You got this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been thinking about you today, free-bird, and hoping that you're doing ok. I know you can't take any meds today because of your induction tomorrow. I'm sure this is difficult for you but it's going to be alright and you're going to do just fine! Hang in there and try to keep us up to speed if you can, maybe this forum can be a little bit of a distraction for you while you are dealing with the W/D symptoms, that was always helpful to me.....keeping myself distracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Uh geez, I ran out last night and took the last if what I had, a small piece of an 80 around 8 oclock. By 10 am this morning I was sweating, had chills, achy, stomach was unsettled and getting that choking feeling in my throat. Moderate withdrawls after only 14 hours. I did some a little while ago (at 2:00 pm) and thats it, no more. My appointment is at 10:15 tommorow morning and by the time I get through the assessment and make it back up here to go to the pharmacy I'm guessing it will be about 12:00 or even later. Depending how bad I am based on the COWS scale I will go then to pick up my prescripton or wait until a little later in the afternoon if I have to. Judging by how lousy I felt after just 14 or so hours I'm sure waiting from now until tommorow afternoon will be more then enough time to be sick enough to start sub. The receptionist at the sub doctor told me on the phone he asks people to wait 48 hours but from reading I know it depends on how you rate on the COWS scale, not a set amount of time so I will probably tell him I did wait 48 hours so he doesn't turn me away. The last thing i need is that and I know I'll be plenty sick by the time I see him and then go get my dose.

I'm going to go and get some stuff done around the house now while my kids are napping and while I'm still able to. By tonight I'm going to feel like shit and not want to do anything so better get on it now. It's a relief to know the end of this nightmare is in sight. I have been doing oxys steady for over a year now. I snort (ashamed of that) about 100 or more mgs a day. I am prescribed them for spinal stenosis 20 mgs 3 times a day but of course I go through my prescription in about 4 days and then have to buy them which is taking a financial toll on me. I hate how opiates have become my whole life and I'm ready to take my life back. Never did I think I'd end up like this but I have. I'm just hoping my pain is manageable on sub. Maybe I'll have to break up my dose throughout the day like I've read other people doing to help the pain.

I wanted to know if I can take regular tylenol or advil to help with the pains of withdrawl. And stupid me I forgot to ask the doctor for xanax today when I saw him to help me sleep tonight. Maybe some tylenol pm will help. Thanks everyone for your support it's been a really rough road getting here and now I just have to make it through the next 20 hours or so to finally start doing something to get my life back on track. Please pray for me and I'll do the same for everyone struggling with this horrible addiction. Oh yeah and I found a pharmacy near me that has sub so I've got that lined up. Everything is in place, I am going to start going to NA meetings again and schedule a therapist appointment for next week. I really want this to work and am trying my best to set myself up for a strong recovery program.

Thanks all and I'll update later on tonight on how I'm feeling which should no doubt be fairly crappy, but at least I know it's not forever. I have detoxed twice in the last year. Made it through wicked withdrawls having jumped at 100 mgs a day. I made it through the wds and felt better physically but the deep depression and anxiety that followed was what I could not endure. PAWS is horrible and although I'm not sure right now how long I'll be on suboxone, I hope that when the time comes and I can taper down to just crumbs that PAWS doesn't rear it's ugly head like it does coming off oxys. Ok, gotta run and get some housework done while I still can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

free_bird wrote:
Uh geez, I ran out last night and took the last if what I had, a small piece of an 80 around 8 oclock. By 10 am this morning I was sweating, had chills, achy, stomach was unsettled and getting that choking feeling in my throat. Moderate withdrawls after only 14 hours. I did some a little while ago (at 2:00 pm) and thats it, no more. My appointment is at 10:15 tommorow morning and by the time I get through the assessment and make it back up here to go to the pharmacy I'm guessing it will be about 12:00 or even later. Depending how bad I am based on the COWS scale I will go then to pick up my prescripton or wait until a little later in the afternoon if I have to. Judging by how lousy I felt after just 14 or so hours I'm sure waiting from now until tommorow afternoon will be more then enough time to be sick enough to start sub. The receptionist at the sub doctor told me on the phone he asks people to wait 48 hours but from reading I know it depends on how you rate on the COWS scale, not a set amount of time so I will probably tell him I did wait 48 hours so he doesn't turn me away. The last thing i need is that and I know I'll be plenty sick by the time I see him and then go get my dose.

I'm going to go and get some stuff done around the house now while my kids are napping and while I'm still able to. By tonight I'm going to feel like shit and not want to do anything so better get on it now. It's a relief to know the end of this nightmare is in sight. I have been doing oxys steady for over a year now. I snort (ashamed of that) about 100 or more mgs a day. I am prescribed them for spinal stenosis 20 mgs 3 times a day but of course I go through my prescription in about 4 days and then have to buy them which is taking a financial toll on me. I hate how opiates have become my whole life and I'm ready to take my life back. Never did I think I'd end up like this but I have. I'm just hoping my pain is manageable on sub. Maybe I'll have to break up my dose throughout the day like I've read other people doing to help the pain.

I wanted to know if I can take regular tylenol or advil to help with the pains of withdrawl. And stupid me I forgot to ask the doctor for xanax today when I saw him to help me sleep tonight. Maybe some tylenol pm will help. Thanks everyone for your support it's been a really rough road getting here and now I just have to make it through the next 20 hours or so to finally start doing something to get my life back on track. Please pray for me and I'll do the same for everyone struggling with this horrible addiction. Oh yeah and I found a pharmacy near me that has sub so I've got that lined up. Everything is in place, I am going to start going to NA meetings again and schedule a therapist appointment for next week. I really want this to work and am trying my best to set myself up for a strong recovery program.

Thanks all and I'll update later on tonight on how I'm feeling which should no doubt be fairly crappy, but at least I know it's not forever. I have detoxed twice in the last year. Made it through wicked withdrawls having jumped at 100 mgs a day. I made it through the wds and felt better physically but the deep depression and anxiety that followed was what I could not endure. PAWS is horrible and although I'm not sure right now how long I'll be on suboxone, I hope that when the time comes and I can taper down to just crumbs that PAWS doesn't rear it's ugly head like it does coming off oxys. Ok, gotta run and get some housework done while I still can.
Hope it is your miracle Freebird it seems to be that for many people. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well it's 530 am and I just woke up. Have nausea and stomach pain, some rls, chills, goosebps down arms and legs, and eyes are tearing up already. I feel pretty crappy and I would imagine that by this afternoon the wd's will be bad enough to start. Uggh I hate not being able to sleep though! I just took some xtra strength Tylenol and a piece of a benzo to hopefully get back to sleep for a few hours. I'm also yawning like crazy bit that's probably from being up with the bluddy birds this morning. I'll update a little later..gonna try and go back to sleep for awhile..I hope.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:15 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi free_bird,
Hang in there that light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train it IS the SUN and it will shine a little brighter for you after today!!! You will feel better than you have felt in a long time after you get started on your Treatment!
One thing I would be careful of is taking any Benzos. If I remember right they frown on taking them while on Suboxone???
You are going to feel like a new person by this afternoon :D . Please come back and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it..... Best of luck today and going forward!!!

God Bless
TW

Last edited by TWINPLY on Tue May 11, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're going to be OK, free_bird. Please check in with us later and let us know how it went!

Post subject: its gonna be alright!
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[code][spoil]
Good morning freebird,

Well today is the first day of freedom. You are going to feel so much better when you get the sub. Everything is going to be okay. If I were you, I would wait and get the sub when you take it to the pharmacy. You are going to be feeling bad enough going out once. You won't feel like going back out to get your script. It sounds to me like you are feeling bad enough already.

Keep checking in and let us know what is going on and we can help you get through the induction.

Hang tight.....this will soon be over.

Thinking of you,
Ginger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 am 
free bird - We're all pulling for you - you're going to be feeling better soon. I was supposed to go back on my Sub this morning after a week of painkillers for my accident. Instead, I took hydrocodone when I woke up this morning. I keep thinking it's going to give me that "feel good" effect like it used to, even though it doesn't anymore. I don't think I can ever take pain pills like a normal person. I just have to accept the fact that I'm an addict and I need to get back on my Sub.
It really IS a disease that we have no control over. We're blessed to have this treatment option that is so effective and we don't have to go to a clinic every day of the week.
I hope you're feeling better and look forward to hearing from you.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm rooting for the bird like everyone else! I haven't accepted new patients for awhile now, but I always cringed when a patient was scheduled but didn't show. I know what likely happened-- the person gave in to that 'pull' in the early hours before the appointment and used, and then was too ashamed (or too wasted) to make the appointment.

For the people who read this thread who have inductions ahead of them, you CAN use tylenol and/or ibuprofen for pain while you are waiting. You can also use benzos (with the normal cautions about dosing), clonidine, and other non-opiate sedatives. For docs reading this, I strongly encourage you to consider providing medication during the interval of withdrawal; it is difficult to express just how horrible opiate withdrawal is, and hopefully the post by freebird will help get that point across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well its 11:45am here and thinking of you. I hope you are at your appt and everything is going well. Please update us as soon as you can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am almost in tears as I write this. I went in today fully expecting to walk out with a prescription for suboxone. Instead the doctor told me that because I have chronic pain from the spinal stenosis that I would be a better candidate for methadone. He wants to prescribe me methadone pills instead. I begged him to at least let me try sub and see how the pain goes but he said no. He told me to go home and research mathadone for pain management and come back tommorow morning if I want to start methadone. I am at a loss right now. What the hell do I do??? On one hand I know he might have a point about sub not taking care of the pain but on the other, the methadone idea really does not sit well with me. I feel so down right now. I am angry that this doctor did not at least let me TRY sub. Any advice would be appreciated, I am beside myself and the light at the end of the tunnel has vanished for the time being. what to do.......

Post subject: so sorry
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi free bird,

I'm so sorry about this, but honestly I'm not surprised. I have no idea why sub is something that docs just do not want to prescribe. I ran in to the same thing over and over. I mean do they not get that is what sub is for?/ maybe not for pain, but for people that are addicted to their pain meds.

That is exactly why I ended up back at my family doctor in tears, because I could not get anyone to prescribe me sub, even if they were able to.

I don't know what you think of this, but do you think if you went back to your family doc and told him how much you have researched sub and that you at leadt want to try it?

I don't know what else to say. I"m really sorry. Maybe Dr. J can think of something I know he tried to help me.

Keep in touch, we will figure this out.

Ginger[code]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi free_bird,
WTF I am so sorry... I never saw this coming or I would have told you to prepare yourself for that possibility!!!! OMG I'm not sure where to go from here? Is there another Suboxone in the area that you could try to see? Is there another Dr. that would call the Suboxone Dr. for you? You got SCREWED I wish I knew a way to help you....... Hopefully someone will chime in with some idea's for you to try! I don't have any experience with Methadone so I can't offer any help on that end??
Try to keep your chin up and try to stay positive......... I am praying for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, boy... :cry:

I'm sorry to hear this, free_bird....what a bummer!

Post subject: from Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[code]Hey TWINPLY,

Both Freebird and I are from Canada, and Sub is basically uneard of. I went through this over a year ago, went to all kinds of docs with methadone clinics and even if they had a license to prescribe Sub, they would not. I have no idea why.

I really do not know what else to say, excpept to try and go abck to your family doc. I know even my doc will not prescribe sub to anyone else as he had to get special permission to give it to me, and it took weeks.

free bird, pm me your phone number if you want, and I'll call you and see if we can come up with something.

Ginger