It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

88LULU88 wrote:
Hi Karen, you are correct! SO TRUE it's all a mind game. I told myself for so long I couldn't survive without 8mg, and here I am taking 4! I wanted to celebrate last night I was so thrilled, and proud of myself. Felt like such an accomplishment. Due to the fact I've never gone this low, I'm going to hang on to the 4mg, for a little over a week. My boyfriend is coming out this Friday coming up THANK GOD! So I plan to taper the Monday after that to 2 mg

Hey There,

Please allow me to offer you one bit of advice if I may. While it's great to sometimes be aggressive, that's not always the case. I mentioned earlier that in my opinion it's ok to be fairly aggressive at the higher doses when you taper, but that doesn't necessarily mean being too agressive.

While you may be just fine reducing from the 4mg you are now on down to 2mg in about a week or so, in my personal opinion I would not make that much of a reduction at that time. It would be a 50% drop from where you are now, and sometimes that can bite us in the rear. Not always, but sometimes that is just too much to reduce at once on this extremely strong drug.

If it were me I would reduce from 4mg to no more than 3mg and remain there for a week as you are planning. Then make the following reduction to that 2mg. This is no race, and all you have to do is finish. I guarantee the last thing you want or need is to reduce too much and then experience issues. Why not take it a little slower and give yourself the best chance possible of having the least amount of symptoms?

I promise the time goes much faster than you might think, and you will be finished very soon anyway. It's very easy to be feeling great and want to make a large reduction in dose. That's very common and i did the same myself several times. When we do that and have problems it sends a negative message and can make us feel defeated sometimes.

I'm just trying to give you the best chance possible of getting through this taper with as little trouble as you possibly can. Of course you can do as you choose as this is all about you. So just my thoughts right now as I was checking on you today. Just give it a little thought is all I ask. :wink:

Great news on your boyfriend visiting! That has to make you feel even better. I'm sure he will be very impressed at your progress! Well done!

Hugs,
Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello everyone. Just following up and trying to keep posting on a day to day basis. So far so good. Tapered to 4mg and my biggest complaint is the head aches. I'm getting head aches on a day to day basis, and advil just isn't doing the trick. Other than that I feel great and am so proud of myself. My journey is almost over. I taper to 2mg in exactly one week from today. Next Monday! From there to 1mg, then to .25mg, and then I am making the jump. If I could make it go any longer I would drag it out, but due to the fact I'm running out of time with my leave of absence I'm jumping at .25mg. I'm curious if anyone has any input on that. Is .25mg a good number to make the jump from. I thought so at first, but the more I'm reading people are tapering much further down from that. On the other hand other people have made the jump from 4mg so I guess it depends on the person.

To be honest my doctor makes me sick to my stomach. As far as money goes, when I signed up on the suboxone band wagon years ago he seemed to be the cheapest. He doesn't give me too many problems. BUT he doesn't want to lose me as a customer. That's all I am to him. $$$$ in his pocket. He's made statements to me before like "Because of how long you've been on suboxone, and with your opiate addiction, you will probably need suboxone forever. Once you've been on it for so long, the chances of getting off are minimal." My boyfriend wanted to go in and beat the living shit out of him for feeding that crap to me. I've had substance problems for over 8 years, but TRUE opiate addiction with pills was only about 2-3 years, and you want to tell me I'm going to need suboxone for life? Sure that may work with some people. I am so young though, I want to have kids, and get married, and have a career go back to school. I don't want to do it needing a medication just to get me out of bed every morning.

Hope this isn't too much info, but ever since jumping on the opiate train, I have been constipated. I no longer can use the bathroom on my own, I have to take a special chinese tea every other day just to go properly. If I never drank the tea, I probably would've died from a blockage already. I would like to know if other people have experienced this, and if you started being able to go properly once getting off of suboxone. I sure hope so, because I am doing permanent damage to my poor tummy.

So this is day 3 of being on 4mg. Only difference is, it's becoming harder and harder to fall asleep at night. Even with a mild muscle relaxer I take before bed, (I believe it's called Robaxin..?) and also ZZ Quil. I've always had trouble with insomnia, even before all of this, and now it's probably going to sky rocket the more I taper down. Again, that was to be expected. I wake up sweating, then freezing here and there. Mild head aches throughout the day. Other than that, I feel this is highly doable, and I am so proud of myself for making the jump.

I'm rambling now. My biggest goal is to RE-TRAIN my brain. To not look forward to taking my medicine throughout the day when I'm supposed to take it. I've looked forward to a medication throughout my day for the last 5 years, it's going to be real tough, to train myself to forget about that. To train myself that I do not need this medication to work as a battery and keep me going. Staying busy will be the key I'm sure. Well here's to another day. Time to go get busy with something, I'm just trying to update my status as much as possible so I can go back and read when I am finally done with this. Can't wait to be free from medications. FOREVER!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dont take this the wrong way...but you were supposed to be re-training your brain WHILE you are on suboxone....the fact that you are going off of it without having done any work at all, is definately concerning....also, you say you look forward to taking medications all day....and you now take a muscle relaxer before bed.....again, dont take this the wrong way...its a concern.....try to work on that stuff right now before you go back to the real world without the help of suboxone

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Karen: I understand what you are saying. Trust me I would love to taper much slower, I just don't think it's an option. I've looked at the calendar over and over, and I'm due back to work March 11th, I don't want to be only off of suboxone for a few days before going back. I want to have enough time to endure the struggle and pain before going back. If I know I am just truly not ready to taper, and my body can't handle it, well we'll have to go from there, and possibly request an extension to my leave of absence, I just don't know if it would be approved. I appreciate and completely understand what you are saying, I would love to go the slower route, believe me, I am just worried I'm running out of time as far as work goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

He-Reigns: You're right, I should have been re-training my brain all the while being on suboxone, BUT I didn't. I'm sure I'm not the only person guilty of this. I just traded one drug for another. In the beginning, when I first began suboxone, I just figured this is a miracle drug. It's saving me from taking endless amounts of pills all day long. It's helping my anxiety, and my back pain, hey I can stay on this forever. I truly didn't think about tapering off or ever being sober, because I've been through a lot in life, and never really cared if I was healthy or not.

My loved ones have always pushed for this, and I've always said... Yeah I'm working on it. Trying. It's harder than you think. This is going to be the year I do it. YADDA YADDA YADDA. Every excuse in the book. The truth is I never even thought twice about getting off of it. Probably until about five months ago is when I really started thinking, if I get pregnant, do I want to have a child while being on this medication? Do I want to get married while stuck on a medication? Do I want to waste thousands of dollars, and chase doctors, and the pharmacies seeing when my suboxone will be available for the rest of my life? Is it worth putting my body through absolute hell every day? No it's not. So I've made the conscious decision, not for anyone else, but for myself to get off of it. I DID. Took a long time to actually think, hey I don't want to be on this anymore. So sure I'm guilty of not training myself and taking the proper steps I'm sure I should have taken to getting sober, but I'm trying now, and if you ask me that's pretty damn awesome. I feel great knowing I DON'T WANT A MEDICATION EVERY SINGLE DAY ANYMORE. Does that mean, I don't still wait hour after hour to see when my next dose is because I feel absolutely awful, no. Of course I want to take my next dose, I feel terrible by the time I'm actually due to take it, but who wouldn't. What I'm saying is, I need to work on the steps it takes to know how to look forward to something else. Anything else. The fact that I see that, and acknowledge that is enough for me. Every single human is different. We're all wired quite differently.

This muscle relaxer I'm taking, is more like an advil. I've never heard of it before, and my suboxone doctor recommended it. Said it would help with my leg cramps throughout the difficult nights. I could live with or without that after suboxone, given the fact it gives me NO HIGH whatsoever, and isn't habit forming. I have never looked forward to taking that, but It's helping with my sleep. Given I have scoliosis and leg cramping and restlessness due to the taper. If this muscle relaxer gave me any kind of a high, I could see that being a worry, but because I feel nothing whatsoever by it, I'm not too worried about it.

I understand what you're saying, and will take any info that is helpful. That's all I'm looking for. The fact that I tapered to an amount I've never gone to before, is putting in work if you ask me. We all heal differently. I do know it's not just the tapering, that training ourselves to think differently is all part of the process, but given the fact that's the next step I want to tackle, I think I'm on a good road to recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're not the only person who didn't "re-train" your brain while on Suboxone and like you, I basically traded one drug for another with Suboxone. Now, while on Suboxone, many areas of my life improved significantly and a good amount of stability was introduced to my life thanks to Suboxone. For me, Suboxone was a stepping stone to living completely drug free and I honestly don't think I would be drug free today if it weren't for Suboxone.

Some of the challenges you may face when you quit Suboxone are learning to deal with triggers, learning to deal with you and your emotions and learning to deal with reality without using drugs. When I quit Suboxone, I had no idea WTH recovery was. After several brief slips, I ended up taking a crash course in recovery and learned those above lessons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the fact that you haven't done recovery work prior to getting off Suboxone isn't optimal, but I also don't think it screws you.....you just have some work to do. If you're willing to work at it, a drug free life is possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You couldn't have said it better. Suboxone was a stepping stone for me. Many areas of my life improved. Got rid of any bad influences, and negative people. Started to live like a normal adult. Stopped most of my cravings. Started to save money. Now I'm to the point where I'm ready to ditch it all and be completely drug free. I am scared. So many years of relying on something. On the other hand, I truly can't wait to not worry about scheduling my suboxone appointment around work, and other activities. To not have to take something twice a day that takes up so much time. To save all of that money. It's going to be a rough year, but I'm staying positive. Trying to forget the head aches I've been having all day long, and the fear without suboxone, and starting to focus on other things to keep me busy. I've noticed what helps the most is just getting out of bed and getting ready like I would any other day. Just getting my day started and not thinking about the physical and mental pain I'm going through. I know it's going to get harder, but I believe I'm ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wanted to say ditto to TwinCities said..

I was always a heavy smoker on full agonists, but when I switched to suboxone, cigs didn't taste good anymore. It was like I wasn't high enough to enjoy smoking. Early on, I dropped down to 1 cig on my walk to work and 1 on my walk home. Then it was just one on my way home.. eventually I got a bad cold one winter and just stopped all together. I credit suboxone for helping me quit my two worst habits. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hiya love, i totally understand what u r going through,i have just cut down from 8mg sub to 6mg.i felt fine for first wk then had abit of a bad night with rls, hot n cold, bones aching and skin crawling n didnt get much sleep, after that night i started drinking green tea and camomile tea and multi vitamins-double dose and it has really helped.my ex tried to cut down from 6mg to 4mg, this is when it starts to get tough.from my experience and my ex u will prob be ok the first wk, its the 2nd wk where u will prob feel withdrawals as suboxone stays in your system for quite a while.u r obviously determined to get clean so i would advise u to start taking multi vitamins, choose a good brand, also omega 3 and the 2 teas i mentioned.if u r struggeling with sleep then u can buy phenergan online, it also helps with anxiety.bananas help with restless legs, thats the part i find hardest.obviously everyone is different and i cant quarentee it will work for u but u have been on them a long time.your body is probably lacking in alot of vitamins and omega 3.the green tea is to help detox your body and speed up the process and the camomile u take at night before bed to relax and help sleep or through the day if u get anxiety.trust me it is manageble as i have withdrawn from 30ml of methadone in the past and cutting down 2mg will be no where near as bad.i was clean for 7 year from age of 20 then i stupidly relapsed 5 year ago.i started at 50ml and cut myself down to 18ml then transfered to suboxone on 10mg.at the stage u r at u will prob feel more mentally symptoms than physical.also do not have anything with caffeine, it makes it twice as bad and bad rls as i found out the hardway.if u want to ask any questions or just someone to moan at lol or chat then im here for u.stick with it u have come this far and if i can do it in past then u can too.anythings possible if u really want it, i know its not easy but the things i have suggested will make it abit more barable.hope u reply bk.love dee xx