It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I am new on here, just found this site and registered..Anyway, a little back ground. I have been on Oxy's for about six years. I have misused them, by taking more than prescribed but always equaled it out so I was never out early. I do have a back injury, and some other issues, that pain medicine helps. BUT, since I have been on pain pills, my life has went down hill big time. When I look at the New Year, me being 36... And I went to college right out of high school, did so much with my life, but looking at since I have been on pills, I have done nothing, and I almost all the time, worrying about running out of my medicine, and going through the horrid with drawls. When I moved to this area, trying to find a doc that actually prescribes Oxy is a joke, and I have kept my doc that is 500 miles round trip. So when I don't make my appointment, I freak out. SO, I am done with it, I am soo ready to get off of it, and I wanted input on with drawls, and how much Suboxone helps to take it away.. I am talking the pukes, poops, chills, and worse of all,, the mental stuff that goes along with just stopping taking the Oxy's. I seriously don't no how many times I can go through it, I suffer from depression as it is, and I scare myself when I get that down and out, when I am sick from withdrawls... How do you feel when you change over? Do you experience any withdrawls at all? Thanks in advance. I have noticed I get more info , support, and help from others that have been through it much more than most doctors that have never felt what we are going through, and it sounds all good that they think in five days your over it... I think anyone who prescribes this stuff should have to take it for a period of time, to feel what we go through..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:25 pm 
Hi welcome to the forum. I know exactly how you feel man, I remember before I started suboxone I would sit up at night everynight worrying and worrying about withdrawals, Id tell myself "im gonna stop tomorrow" but tomorrow never ever came. Id wake up feeling the first little annoying bits of withdrawals and I would freak myself out because I knew how bad it was gonna get and end up just dosing the day away. To answer your question of how much of the withdrawals does suboxone take away, well as long as you go into your induction in withdrawal suboxone will take away all physical symptoms of withdrawal. Sub is a VERY POTENT opioid and absolutely destroys physical withdrawals. As long as you dont take it to early (which can cause Precipitated withdrawal which is much much worse than regular withdrawal) and you find the proper dosage for yourself you will feel like you have never been addicted to opiates about 2 hours or so after you take it. It can take a few days to a week to completely get stabilized and not feel withdrawal a bit between doses but during induction the doc will allow you to dose up to 4 times a day if needed so you usualy wont have to worry about withdrawal starting up again. By the time you've been on it a week you will have enough bupe built up in your system that you wont ever feel withdrawal symptoms again as long as you are on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with suboxowned, suboxone eliminates all the withdrawal...it's an opiate, but it's a partial agonist. That means it binds to the mu receptor, but doesn't get you high. It's a great medicine for getting off full agonist opiates like Oxy.

Suboxone is not known to be a great pain killer though. Make sure you talk to your doctor about this, I don't know how bad your back pain is. Suboxone will help with the pain, it's just not as effective as a full agonist, for most people.

Good luck and keep us posted

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:11 pm 
Yea if you are a person who suffers from SEVERE chronic pain daily and it makes life miserable methadone may be something to think about. But if you feel you can deal with the pain and its not that bad then suboxone will work great for you. I will say though that even with taking suboxone you still have to want to be clean because it doenst take away all of the mental cravings, i dont think about opiates constantly or anything on sub but the thoughts do come up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you guys.. I am so happy to hear it works so good. I am really ready to do this. I have tried Methadone, and I ended up in the hospital cause my system didn't take well to it. I ended up so out of it, my family called an ambulance, I really dont remember much, except that I can't take it.. I am going to try other methods for pain relief, like going to the gym and do some exersizing in the pool, etc. Maybe even back to the physical theropist. I really don't no how bad it will get its been so long since I have been on pain medication. Its almost like I have to learn all over again who I am, and how I feel.. ha ha. Thank you all and I will keep you all posted. My appointment is on the 31st, just in time for the New Year, and that was something I wanted to do to start the New Year.. Thank you all once again!! Merry Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome! I say good on you for grabbing the bull by the horns and taking control of your life. It can be scary, but it's a great step. Like others have said, Suboxone should eliminate all of your withdrawals. I think you'll be pleased with it - it's an excellent treatment for opiate addiction. Most people describe feeling "normal" a short time after taking it. So congrats on choosing addiction remission. Please do let us know how it goes. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 am 
Welcome to the forum horselover36!!

I must say that is one awesome new years resolution!! Suboxone works really good and like others have said, you will feel normal almost as if you have never had an addiction to opiates. Its the best treatment i've found so far and the only one thats worked for me. You will find lots of help on this forum and i hope you'll stick around to share your experience!! Looking forward to hear how your induction goes. Do you know about waiting until your in withdrawal before you take suboxone? Its in order to prevent precipatated withdrawal like suboxowned was talking about. I had a smooth transition so i dont have any experience with precipatated withdrawal but their are threads on here where you can read all about it. From what they say it is hell so definitely try to have a good understanding of how that works ahead of time. Again welcome to the forum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Horselover,

I am Queenie, the grandma of the forum. So nice to meet you.

I let the others answer your questions. I am just here to support you & encourage you to start your Suboxone treatment. You won't regret it.

I am an amputee and having so many surgeries I got addicted to painkillers. Thank God I found this forum. The people here are like family now & believe me you can't go wrong here. They all want to help so much and they do.

If I am to say anything about Sub to you, it would be that at first you might want to take more thinking you will feel high. You will be wasting your time & the Subs. No matter how much you take you won't get high. But you will feel normal & the best part, no withdrawal. Also, I had some problem with sleep but my anti-depressant takes care of that. Other than that Suboxone is great.

Please stay with us & let ujs know how it's going. Have a wonderful holiday season

'Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks everyone, and I will let you know.. So, I am sure the doctors will explain and I will study more, but do I have to start withdrawling from the Oxy's before I start taking the subnoxine, or however u spell that..?? :) I have my appointment this next week, and I can't wait, I have so much to get started with my life... Thanks everyone for the kind and wonderful educational messages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:48 pm 
I will say this, you have to be in mild to moderate withdrawal before you take suboxone. Others that have experience with it will come along an tell you exactly what to do. I had to wait 6 long agonizing days before i could get an appointment so i didnt have any problems with the transition. Like i said, others will come along an tell you more detail on what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you have to be in mild-to-moderate withdrawals before starting suboxone. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't explained that to you. But it depends entirely on how s/he plans to handle your first appointment and subsequent induction. If you're not sure how the doctor will do that, I would encourage you to call the doctor's office Monday morning and just ask them what you should expect at your first appointment. It's always good to know rather than having unanswered questions.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My wife just sent me this link for encouragement. I ride dirt bikes and was involved in an accident 21/2 years ago. This is when my battle with pain meds bagan. I am a recovering Meth addict and my clean date is 8-12-03. I began using the pain meds as prescribed but like any addict this escalated until where I am now. My life has became a living Hell. I have never experienced physical withdrawal the way I have with the pain meds. I thought many times beause of my recovery tools that I could beat this. I cant!!. My dilemma is trying to continue my successful buisness while detoxing off of Oxycodone. I found a website that enabled me to give my area and zipcode to have a local Doctor who uses (im so new to this I dont think I will get the names correct) Suboxine as treatment. I was contacted by many doctors but the one lady I spoke with seems to be the right Doctor. I am throwing a dart at the dartboard as far as choosing a Doctor. I am so glad my wife sent me this sight. I am scared to death of facing withdrawal. This sight has given me some encouragement in the fact that the Suboxine treatment DOES WORK!! My mind is so scrambled right now I cant even type an intellagent email but I am exited and encouraged that there is hope. I have been a drug addict for many years of my life (Meth & Pot) but I dont think I have ever battled something as strong as this. Maybe i have it has just been so long since I have. Any encouragement or advice would be much appreciated. I live in San Diego Ca. Thank You, Motomonkey

Post subject: hey Motomonkey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I hear you.. I am in the same situation pretty much.. I am a horse rider, fell off a horse, while in the middle of a jump. Landed on my tailbone, and couldn't walk for days. I have been on pain medicine, since 2000. Started low dosage, now up to 60 mg, of Oxy's three times a day. I moved from the coast, (I am in Cali) and in the town I lived in, they didn't fix the problem they would give you pain med instead. Not until I moved to my North East town that I am in now, when I went to a doctor, and told them I needed refills, and a doc to continue my care, they laughed at me and said good luck finding a doc that will prescribe that here. SO, I went for the last four years, 500 miles round trip to my doc on the coast. When I couldn't make my appointments, I started feeling the utmost disgusting with drawls, and I tell ya, every time I went through it, I would say I am never going to go through that again, if that means staying on it for life, thats what I will have to do.. Well now I have life goals, and I am tired of spinning my wheels, on Oxy's. I turned 36, and I want to have a child, and obviously its not even a thing I could think of, until I got off all medicine. SO, this year, before I get to old, I am getting healthy so I can have my baby. So, I am so excited to hear about this suboxine stuff. I have spent everyday between weekends and holidays, trying to find a doctor that will take me with my insurance, as the doctor I had set up, doesn't do the suboxine... as I was told that he did.. So, I am trying right now that will listen to me, and not just tell me to get through it, it will only take five to seven days then I will feel better. YEA RIGHT! ha ha.. Anyway, I was glad to see your message, I am glad your on this website, I to and very new here. IF you need support, I am a good listener, and it sounds like we have similar deal going on. Your never alone. Good luck!! Also, my husband has the same problem, and it has made his life hell. He is currently in jail because he had wrecked our car two times in a row, while high on pills. He had been sober for two years, (as he went to a short term program right after he wrecked, we were able to dodge his arrest for two and half years..) so, I have watched him come far.. It kinda sucks now that he was doing good, he is in jail, because of the past stuff. Which of course we knew it would happen. We were just hoping to get through the new year, then take care of it.. As I have come to learn, Its not my plan, there is a higher power, if I allow to help, does a much better job than me and hubby ever will.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi! I suggest googling something like "suboxone withdrawal list" or "suboxone withdrawal criteria". I just pasted a bunch of forms in a thread last week. If you google it, you can find a list that is used for doctors to decide when to administer suboxone so the patient doesn't go into precipitated withdrawal. You have entered withdrawals before so if you read the list, count up the points based on what symptoms you usually get and when, you can usually map it out when to quit so you can start when you get there. I suggest this because my doctor didn't say anything about it and then I had to come back the next day. I don't know about you, but I wanted to start the sub ASAP because every hour of withdrawal feels like 10 days. Making me wait an extra 20 hours is like total hell and then to have to run to the pharmacy and wait there on top of it. TOTALLY NOT COOL. So you are best off if you can pretty much be ready when you get there so you can either get it there or get your script and run to the pharmacy. I took my first dose and felt better within about 30 minutes. At an hour or 2 I was instructed to take a little more, by the evening I was shocked at how awesome that stuff was. And then I just moved on with my life. Pretty cool.

Good luck!
Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

motomonkey,

Your story is similar to mine in that we both had previous drug use, found pain pills and thought...Yee Haw. Then you go to slow down on the pills or quit and all hell breaks loose. I remember thinking WTF have I done? I graduated from weed and the like to cocaine and the like to opiates. Opiates kicked my ass all over the block.

But, then I found suboxone and within 1/2 hour of taking it I knew I made the right decision. I stayed on it for 3 years and managed, with a lot of help from a drug counselor, to get my head screwed on straight. Had I stayed on the OxyContin train it would have been a nasty sight...Thank Goodness I found suboxone. It gives you every opportunity to get right.

Suboxone is an opiate, but it works very differently than a 'regular' opiate like Oxy. If you choose you can stay on suboxone long term (if your doctor permits it) or you can taper off of suboxone. That's the beauty of suboxone. It eliminates the wd, usually you can stay on it as long as you need, you don't crave more and more of it and if you decide to you can taper off of it. There will be some wd when tapering off suboxone, but because you can taper to such a low dose on sub, the wd is greatly minimized and nowhere near an Oxy type withdrawal.

I understand that you're afraid of the Oxy withdrawal, but it will be for a very short period. Usually you can get mild to moderate withdrawals within 24 hours, once the wd hits moderate you should be good to go.

I hope both horselover and yourself are able to find a good sub doctor soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Horselover 36.........Welcome,

I'm a newbie myself here but I wanted to point something out that quite a number of people are touching on and that's making sure you go into moderate withdrawl. Don't even chance mild withdrawl. Wait till you feel like crap and the sniffles and shakes and diahrea...........just my opinion before taking it. Otherwise you risk precipitated withdrawl and man oh man.....ouchie! Just remember, it will get better.

The only other advice I would offer is this, take whatever you need to get "better" but IF you can, don't make it a long term drug. For some, it needs to be. For others, it does not. Everyone is different. If you can set a plan after you get well to ween off and try to get free of all chemical dependency that would be awesome. I am there now and man it's hard. I am still trying to figure out if I can be free of it.

Anyways, good luck. This to shall pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
motomonkey,

Your story is similar to mine in that we both had previous drug use, found pain pills and thought...Yee Haw. Then you go to slow down on the pills or quit and all hell breaks loose. I remember thinking WTF have I done? I graduated from weed and the like to cocaine and the like to opiates. Opiates kicked my ass all over the block.

But, then I found suboxone and within 1/2 hour of taking it I knew I made the right decision. I stayed on it for 3 years and managed, with a lot of help from a drug counselor, to get my head screwed on straight. Had I stayed on the OxyContin train it would have been a nasty sight...Thank Goodness I found suboxone. It gives you every opportunity to get right.

Suboxone is an opiate, but it works very differently than a 'regular' opiate like Oxy. If you choose you can stay on suboxone long term (if your doctor permits it) or you can taper off of suboxone. That's the beauty of suboxone. It eliminates the wd, usually you can stay on it as long as you need, you don't crave more and more of it and if you decide to you can taper off of it. There will be some wd when tapering off suboxone, but because you can taper to such a low dose on sub, the wd is greatly minimized and nowhere near an Oxy type withdrawal.

I understand that you're afraid of the Oxy withdrawal, but it will be for a very short period. Usually you can get mild to moderate withdrawals within 24 hours, once the wd hits moderate you should be good to go.

I hope both horselover and yourself are able to find a good sub doctor soon.

HEY ROMEO, JUST A QUESTION..........I HAVE HEARD THAT EVEN WHEN WEENING DOWN TO A VERY LOW DOSE OF SUB (.5MG PER DAY) THAT IT IS STILL WAY WORSE THAN NORMAL OPIATE WITHDRAWL. NOT TRUE? JUST WONDERING BECAUSE I WILL BE THERE IN THE SPRING.

Post subject: MOTOMONKEY
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Came about pills pretty much the same way as you. Got injured (football) then started pouring them down my throat as they prescribed them to me. Doctor shopped, off the street, you name it I did it. Anyway, Sub DOES work. Just make sure you are in moderate withdrawl when you take the first dose. Also, make sure you get a counselor that knows about Sub as well. However, from what I have seen folks in here are extremely knowledgeable. Good luck man and god bless. Email me anytime for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jleets, you asked about the severity of sub wd and heard it's worse than full agonists.

HA,

Obviously the opinion of someone who had NOT actually done it.

I've been off of suboxone for almost 7 months and NOWHERE during that process did it ever compare to a 'regular' opiate withdrawal.

Suboxone wd is less pronounced, but longer lasting and I'll take that any day. I detoxed off of Hydrocodone and then years later OxyContin....sub wd is not even close. Suboxone wd/taper is way less intense than either of those bastards.

This was my experience with these particular meds. Hope it helps you.

Man, I just read this again and I did not mean to come off shitty...sorry if I did.

Post subject: Romeo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Man what a shitty way to talk to someone.

LOL! J/K.

I'm tapering down for the jump which will be on my son's 13th on March 24th. I want to be clear of all chemicals minus my red wine. :lol: Went from 16 to 8 to 4 and am waivering about 2-3mg per day right now. Stable but sometimes feel like I wanna peel paint of the walls. By March 24th I wanna jump while being on .5mg for the final 4 weeks.

In your opinion how bad do you think I'll be hurting? I was reading another post where you were talking with a guy (forget the name-he turned you on to some music) and he jumped at 8? F THAT! Craziness if you ask me but much respect to that guy.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Jeff