It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jeff,

I jumped off 12mg (not recommended) and even at that level the withdrawal wasn't as bad as oxycontin. I will agree that it lasts longer and when you jump from 12mg you are likely to experience PAWS fairly intensely. In terms of jumping off .5mg, I think that everyone is different. I have been hanging around here for over a year and will say that some people have been totally successful jumping from .5 and some have been a little unhappy with the withdrawal from it. Some have tapered down to a liquid taper to avoid feeling any PAWS (most of it anyways) and the lower you taper, the better. Especially at the lower doses.

From watching others, I would say there is a decent chance you will want some clonidine, something to help you sleep just a little (ambien doesn't seem to work all that well), immodium AD, and something for restless leg syndrome. I think you are likely to feel a bit fatigued and you will need to work out as everyone swears that works. I think you are looking at 2-3 weeks of very mild withdrawal and then maybe some lingering fatigue after that which gets better regularly.

This is all just a guess from reading other people's posts. It could be entirely off base or entirely on. Who really knows. I give this observation to you only because I know how badly people want to get some idea of how long it lasts.

Back to the original poster ............. I think the last thing anyone should be concerned about when they get on sub is when they are getting off sub. Just be sure you have a doctor who believes in both long and short term maintenance. Work it out with the doctor how long you will stay on. I hope you will also use this site as you go through this process.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:41 am 
Im definitely gonna have to agree with Jackcrack in that, i would not in any way shape or form go ahead and start thinking of when your getting off the med. Reason is, you have no way of knowing how long its gonna take to get your life in order. Im at 19 months now and things gradually got better pretty much the whole time but it wasnt for quite a few months before my thinking really truly cleared up. You may read differently but the withdrawal from sub at 20 months is gonna be no different than withdrawal from sub at 8 months. All i mean is, taking the sub longer isnt gonna make the withdrawal worse. I would recommend you take it until you have things in your life that motivate you not to use.

As for the withdrawal you need to be in when you start, IMO the worse your withdrawal is the better it will work. Im just meaning that if you can wait until you are in full on withdrawal it will work like a charm. You will 100% better in 30 minutes. Its a great medication and i really feel you are gonna like the results!! Goodluck!! Keep us posted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jleets,

Jackcrack hit the nail on the head. When you get to .5mg and jump your wd should be minimal...I would guess you won't even have to miss work, you might want to take a couple of few days off, but probably won't need to.

Your not going to feel like doing the cha-cha, but it wil be a far cry from detoxing from a full agonist.

Keep us posted along the way.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate this forum. I have to be careful or I start to get overwhelmed with info. This sucks how I can no longer handle any stress in my life. Doesnt work to well owning a buisness. I thank God I have some good people underneath me. I am looking forward to my Doctors appointment on the 6th but am also very nervous. I cant believe how this stuff snuck up and bit me!! Before my accident I was in great shape. Lots of cardio and weights, Riding my dirtbike like a 20 year old (im 50) and before I knew it this shit had me. Now working out is a chore, I would snort oxycodone to ride my dirtbike. I am truly ashamed. I am a leader in a 12 step recovery program and am hooked on prescription meds while doing it. As I said in a earlier post I am 7 1/2 years clean from Meth and that is my only claim to fame at this point. Once an addict, always an addict. But those rules are for everyone but me, Right? This is truly the biggest challenge in my life so far. I pray to God I am going to meet the right Doctor. I dont want to jump ahead either but my goal is to be completely drug free. I am also scared of being prescibed anti-anxiety medicine and becoming hooked on it as well. I have heard Xanax withdrawal is worse even yet. So much is bouncing in my head right now. Drugs suck, Why do I think I like or need them so much? Thanks for all your post's people. I do know that one addict helping another is without paralell. Please pray for me to hook up with the right doctor who will see through my Bullshit. Thanks, Motomonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're right, motomonkey, there is a LOT of info on this site. I really hope it can be helpful for you. I hope you do find a great doctor who can meet your needs. But even if this doctor isn't THE right one, you can always get started on sub and look for a doctor you are better suited to. (I found mine through NAABT.org and he is now my primary care doctor, too.)

You asked about Xanax withdrawals - yes, they can be worse than opiate withdrawal. Opiate withdrawal only FEELS like you're dying, but with benzo withdrawal it actually IS dangerous. When I stopped opiates and started sub, I also stopped my over 6 mg habit of xanax a day. I happened to be inpatient at the time and they were able to put me on phenobarbital for less than a week. (I cold turkey'd the xanax.) But I made it through it safe and sound. Are you on benzos now/already (forgive me if I missed it when you mentioned it)? Did you have specific concerns?

Try to worry about only one thing at a time. You'll only have to be in withdrawals a couple days before your induction. Before you know it the 6th will be here and gone and you'll be looking at what amounts to a new life - sans active addiction. I really think you'll be pleased with suboxone treatment.

Oh and please don't beat yourself up too much. Yes, we have personal responsibility for our actions, but I happen to believe that we have a disease. Shame is common with us addicts, but try to focus on today, maybe tomorrow. But the sooner you can let go of what you can't change (like things in the past), the shame will start to subside. Best of luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank You for the info & encouragement. No i am not on Benzo's currently. The times in the past ive tried to quit I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My concern is what the doc will prescribe for anxiety. As with most addicts im wound pretty tight to begin with. Thank You, Motomonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most doctor won't prescribe benzos to people who are on suboxone. Some do, but it's not recommended because of the risk of respiratory depression.

I know you'll initially laugh at this, but have you ever tried meditation? I did a post about it under the "Chronic Pain" category. I go into pretty good detail about how to do it. I didn't believe it would work when I started doing it, but I was surprised at how well it did. Just a thought.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Its funny you say "I know you might laugh at this". The reason I say this is because it is so "like me" an addict, to think how could slowing down possibly help? For anything to work "you must have to go faster, work harder, or take more" right? How could something God created like relaxation work? A pill got me into this predicament I must need a pill to get me out. Oh im freakin insane!!! I appreciate your suggestion and know you are right. It's just that next character defect in my life to get over. The first words I ever spoke as a child were not Mom or Dad, They were "Big Motor" I guess you could see trouble right out of the gate. I need to learn how to harness the energy. Thank You for your help!! Motomonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Motomonkey....I can totally relate. The first time my therapist brought up meditation I just looked at him and said there is no possible way my ADD mind can slow enough to do that and I really don't see the point. I thought....I can't just sit there in the middle of some stressful situation and start zoning out and meditating. This just isn't reasonable and what the hell do you do when you have to stop meditating? That won't work....I still have to get back to work or manage the situation I am in.

All of these are excellent points. Melissa has posted some excellent techniques for meditation. I think the part that most people don't get about it, that I certainly didn't get about it, was that what you gain from 15 minutes of meditation is something you take with you through the entire day, not just while you are doing it. Think of it more as centering than slowing down. I meditate while working out, hiking, while on hold at work, and ultimately, I have learned to do it for mere seconds in the middle of a stressful situation and even those few seconds can change my whole experience. My anxiety is so much less. I have more strength than I have ever had in my life. I'm not perfect at it....and that is perfectly fine. I don't do it the way Melissa does it and there are many ways of going about it. A book written by last name Chodron was where I started. I think it is called When things fall apart or something like that. Very good book. Quick easy read.

Ultimately, I have become so much less reactive from it and I feel like I have so much more control of ME. The urge to use is less. I am confident enough now that I am going to try to quit smoking again and I think the meditation is what may make me successful this time.

Anyways, you sound open to it. Best wishes!

Cherie

- Winston Churchill