It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:34 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

OK, I have some serious dental work coming up. Even after providing the doctor with all type of of information, so that I get the proper pain management before & after the treatment. Well when giving my prescriptions & looking them over, my pain management and the only pain med I was given, motrin 800. I know it's because it's the suboxone, it there any med you can taken to counteract the suboxone? or way of a clearing it out of your system, so that you can receive proper care? Please any information to help my situations would be a blessing. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Whats up DottaPro. I am currently going through a similar situation with back pain. I stopped taking the suboxone and started taking norcos 10/325 and that wasn't doing anything but keeping me from WD's. SO the pain Dr. prescribed me 30mg of ms contin along with the norcos and still no relief. Before I stopped taking the suboxone and started taking pain meds again I was on suboxone for 11 months and at the time I stopped was at 12mg. So I can tell you for sure that it is going to take a while for you to fell any effect from the pain meds once you come off suboxone. Especially because it is dental work I really doubt that they are going to prescribe anything strong enough to overpower the effect of the suboxone. Sorry for the bad news I hope everything goes ok for you I was just telling you my recent/current experience with this similar situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dotta,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Joseph. There's really nothing you can do to stop or decrease suboxone's binding power so that pain meds will work sooner or better. Normally when someone needs acute pain relief, they should be prescribed high enough doses of full agonists to overcome the sub. The problem is not all doctors understand this or are willing to prescribe high doses to a recovering addict. What they don't understand is taking pain meds for legitimate, acute pain doesn't place us at risk of relapse. What does is untreated pain! I say this based on an NIH study I read about treating acute pain in bupe and methadone patients.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. I have heard, though, that ibuprofen can actually treat dental pain better than most pain meds. Hang in there and try to feel better.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 am 
I would recommend anyone needing treatment for pain to spend the $9.95 and download (instantly) Dr. J's Sub guide. He goes into pain management for Sub patients at length, and really it's the most informative part of the book.
Dotta - if you don't have the funds to do the above, read Joseph's thread. There are a lot of good responses there.
Good luck,
Lilly