It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my first time posting anything here, but I have been reading all the info on this site since my husband and myself started taking suboxone to get away from vics. I have two boys, one 18 and one 15. They have been through the withdrawals with me and my husband and I feel that they no longer deserve to have to go through it anymore. We started the suboxone about 3 months ago. We started out alot lower than what I have seen on here by other people. We started at 4 mgs twice a day for about 3 days and then we went down to 2mgs twice a day. We stayed on the 2mgs for about two months and about 2 weeks ago we started taking 1mg twice daily and now two days ago we started taking 1/2 mg twice a day. I feel alot better knowing that I am off the vicodines, but I don't want to be dependent on any medication. I was dependent on vics for 3 years and my husband for 5 years. I felt like it ran my life. It was horrible. I want to stop taking the suboxone and hopefully get back to normal but I am afraid. I am a big baby and can not handle any type of withdrawal. Not sure what to do. Only have 3 8mg pills left and we do not have a doctor, can't get into see one, everyone that I have called is not taking new patients. We only have 2 docs in our immediate are that even handles suboxone. I hope to get get any help that I can. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi paralegal and welcome to the forum. First of all, congratulations on stopping the cycle of active addiction. I hear you that you don't want to be dependent on a medication, but isn't taking a pill every day better than the alternative? Opiate addiction kills and has a very high relapse rate. Additionally, being on sub for so short a time also has a very high rate of relapse. I would encourage you to try to find a doctor, even in a different area. Give yourself time to do a proper taper. The people who are the most successful coming off sub seem to be the ones who prepared and were ready to handle the cravings and the triggers. They turned their whole lives around. In other words, they were ready to come off it.

If you either cannot or do not want to get a doctor, then your only option is to use what little sub you have left. It's likely not enough to do a proper taper, though, and you will likely feel withdrawals when you stop it. There are many "stopping sub" posting around here that you can read about dealing with the withdrawals. Good ways to deal with the withdrawals include lots of exercise, hot baths, and if you can get it, Clonidine (it's a BP med that helps opiate withdrawals).

I wish I had something more concrete or positive to tell you. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Welcome to You Both....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi there pl111,
I would also like to Welcome you and your Husband to the site. I will add my Congratulations as well for deciding to take your life back and leave active addiction behind for Recovery!!! As we All know there is no easy shortcut to Recovery Or ALL of Us addicts would choose it. I agree with "" hat "" that you need to be aware of the High relapse rate of people that use short term Suboxone treatment on their road to Recovery!! Unfortunately I think that you are going to have to expand your Search Area for a new " Suboxone " Dr. ??? I'm sure this is easier said then done But IMHO I think your best bet is a longer taper with a Dr.s assistance..... I don't say this to scare you .... Just to give you some more input for YOU to make your decision! But , please look around the Forum for different discussions on this Topic and then you can make an informed decision!!! Whatever you decide please keep us posted. I wish the best for you & your Husband and We are glad you found the Site..... Take Care.

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would certainly echo hatmaker510's concerns. If you have NO way of finding a doctor, well, you're going to have to withdraw from the suboxone if you can't get more. There's nothing any of us can write on here that is going to prevent that from happening, although, if you jump off suboxone at under 1mg per day, the landing might not be so rough......

I would strongly urge you to try to find a way to stay on it longer, get some counseling or get into some meetings (AA or NA) and learn how to deal with life without the pills, otherwise (and I'm not trying to scare you) you face a fairly high possibility of relapse.