It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading a ton of the great info on here. To cut to the chase about 6 years ago I started with extreme abdominal pain and went down to the local ER. They did tests and everything came back normal. I ended up going home with no pain meds NOTHING! However later on that day the extreme pain came back and I went back down to the hospital and they admitted me. While I was admitted they gave me I.V. Dilaudid basically whenever I wanted. Set me home with the pill form as well as Darvacet and Vicodin. I went to a GI doc who literally had no diagnosis but he also gave me over 100 darvicet and Vicodin. Needless to say about a year later I was up to about 45 extra strength Vicodin per day. I went to rehab and they gave me suboxone. Instantly I felt better and thought this is a MIRACLE drug. I started on a very high dose of suboxone and I am now just under 4 years into my suboxone treatment and I AM READY TO BE DONE! I am on the suboxone 2MG/0.5 dissolving film. All I take is 1/8 of film once per day. (I've gradually tapered down for the past 4 years.) Here is my main concern. I was under the impression that the more you taper down the less of the withdrawal feeling I will feel. My doctor keeps telling me that I won't feel anything when I'm done with this script (he said this would be my last one or possibly one more going down to 1/16 of the 2mg/0.5 dissolving film once per day) but he also said I could try to just stop on my own with the script and I've tried but still feel the TERRIBLE withdrawal feeling even on this low of a dose. I am in a position in my life that the most I could miss from my job would be 3 maybe 4 days tops in a row. I just really want to be off the suboxone! I still realize that I am an addict and always will be so I continue to go to meetings but I am ready to be off of this stuff. I'm not saying it didn't help. It did! Trust me. But going on almost 4 years now and I've tapered down so far I didn't think I would be hurting this bad after just one day of not having it. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated and I wish all of you the best of luck in your own personal recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At this point, I think the best thing is the taper much lower. People taper to tiny, tiny doses. Your doctor just doesn't know what he's talking about, nor does mine, nor do many other docs. I'm at 1 mg, and I'd love to be where you are, but I know to you, it feels like you've got a long way to go, right? I guess my point is that you have made some serious progress and you should be soooo proud of yourself!!!

Do you have any comfort meds? Clonidine? A benzo (to be used with extreme caution)? Neurontin? Are you wanting to be off now or did you want to try skipping a day and see what it felt like?

It's weird because you're only taking 250 micrograms a day, which doesn't equal that much hydro. However, because of the stacking effect, it's actually more than that, but I'm not sure how much. I'd try what another guy on here (l i v i n) did. He cut his Sub into smaller and smaller fractions. So, you can cut it into ninths, which would have you taking 222 micrograms a day. Then, you could cut the films into tenths, putting you at 200 micrograms a day. I think this is a pretty wise way of doing it. After you go to the smaller fraction, stay there for a week or so or until you feel fine for some consecutive days. Keep dropping like that and of course, you can try stopping at some point and see if you are okay. If your doctor says this is ridiculous, well, tell him to go take Sub for four years and then follow his own advice and let you know how it goes. This is what I'm going to do it I ever do stabilize at 1 mg and I'm going to keep tapering until I can't cut the films any smaller. :D

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi charred and welcome. Tapering is unique to everyone and depends a lot on how you tapered. Many people do suffer withdrawals but many also report still being able to go to work. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Will your doctor prescribe you some clonodine or anything for sleep? Are you exercising at all? That is said to really help. As do hot baths.

Also, do you have enough suboxone to go any lower? Again, depending how exactly how you tapered, that could be affecting how/why you're feeling this way.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: THANK YOU!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the quick responses. Basically my doctor started me on suboxone June of 2007. Again I started on a really high dose and what has basically happened is I see him every 30 days and we have gone down on my suboxone strength about every 30 to 60 days depending on how I was feeling on the dose at the time. He told me last month at my last appointment that this would be my last script or possibly one more and go down to 1/16th of the film once per day. I had 2 of my 1/8th tabs left and just decided now to cut those in half and just start on the 1/16th now because I am going to see my Doctor on Tuesday. Again my problem is I do NOT do well with the wd's and can't miss more than maybe 3 to 4 days of work in a row and I just don't know if that would be enough time for me to get through the bad part of the wd's. Since tapering down to this low dose I've felt depressed and my anxiety is through the roof and my primary doc prescribed me 0.5mg of xantax to take once or twice per day as needed and that has helped tremendously with my anxiety. What scares me about that though is I don't want to trade the suboxone for xantax as I feel this is defeating the purpose. The best idea I've had so far is a week from today I have Sunday off. I could call out sick from my work on Monday and then I have Tuesday off. (Sundays and Tuesdays are my days off). If I could get through next Saturday at work without any sub that would mean I would go from Sat through Tuesday without any subs. With the lower dose I started today (1/16th of the film) if I took that for this week (last day taking that dose would be Friday April 15 in the AM) that would give me a good 3-5 day stretch that I could just be at home and try and beat it. Any thoughts on this idea? Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you allowing yourself/your body to adjust to each dosage drop before you drop again? If you're still having withdrawals from your last dosage drop, I wouldn't drop again yet. Give yourself time in between and make tiny drops that you're less likely to feel. It will take you longer but in the end it will be much less painful.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The real problem I'm having is not when I drop down to a lower dose. The problem I'm having is my Doctor told me that I would not feel any withdrawl after I get on this low of a dose and I'm done. Well, he was completely wrong about that because when I was still doing the 1/8th of a film once per day I tried to just stop and about 48 hrs into I had do take another dose because the wd's were so strong. I've never really had an issue going down in dosage at all. It's just when I go without a dose (even as low of a dose as I'm on) I can't shake the wd's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi charred,

A lot of people, when they reach a dose in the neighborhood of where you're at, will start skipping days between doses. You mentioned that you can get 48 hours under your belt before the wd's become too much, maybe now would be a good time for you to start skipping days?

I wish you the best of luck and I sure hope that you keep us informed about your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I cut my 2mg pills into 8 pieces and take .25 per day I skipped a day three days ago it was uncomfortable, then I decided to skip again today ( every third day) and today I have felt fine.... I will add I worked out for an hour this morning, 45 mins this afternoon, and rode my motorcycle all those things seem to help me feel the wd's much less then I would if I was sitting home watching tv..

I also take workout supplements and eat alot of protein ( mostly for working out) but I did read somewhere on here that protein helps......

Hot baths are always a big help.....

hang touch you will get there

Post subject: Skip a Day
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

Hey Charred,

Romeo said what I was going to say. My doctor's nurse (who really is the one who manages all the patients) told me they've had success in skipping a day for a week or two, then go two days, etc. I'm not where you are yet but I will be in the coming months so this topic is very important to me.

And your concern about the Xanax is a good one. I too get dependent on that crappy benzo to help me cope, and then it's near impossible to sleep when you stop taking it. But for a short time it may be helpful. Others have mentioned Clonidine to take the edge off. Have you asked for that one?

I wish you well and have faith that you'll succeed in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:41 pm 
Lol i think miracle drug is pushing it a little. Miracle drugs dont give you withdrawal and keep you hooked for 4 years. But hey the doc said you wont have withdrawals so i would believe him, you could stop and be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just to clarify what I meant by a miracle drug: When I was taking 45 vicodinES a day and then went into rehab feeling like COMPLETE GARBAGE AND IN COMPLETE OPIATE WITHDRAWL, I had never heard of suboxone so when they gave it to me my first day in rehab all of my wd feelings went away! That's what I meant by a miracle drug. The fact it took all of my wd feelings away within minutes when I was at my worst!

Anyways to keep everybody informed I just had an appointment with my Doc this morning and he gave me script for 30 days to take 1/16th of the 2mg film once per day for the first 3 to 4 days. Then he wants me to try and wait one day off then take one. Then wait 2 days to take it and so forth. I do have xanax 0.5mg as needed to help with the crappy feeling but that is the coarse of action for now and again I will let everybody know how it's going these next few days and weeks. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE POSITIVE SUPPORT FROM EVERYBODY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi charred,
Many, if not most, people here agree with you that this is a miracle drug, so don't feel you have to defend that.

I can almost promise you, going by what I have read here and what I have experienced myself, that you will not be sick enough to miss work when you jump. One person here missed a half a day, just to get some comfort meds. Most people are able to get through the day but just feel crappy.
You will be fine. Hope this helps.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Still trying to stop the suboxone and went back to last week and was taking the 1/16th of the 2mg film once per day. It is now about 7:10am est time and my last dose has been exactly 48hrs ago. I can usually get to this point at 48 hrs but I can't seem to bet beyond that. I'M GOING TO TRY TODAY! I have to work from 9:30 - 6:30pm today but then I have tomorrow off. So my plan is to do WHATEVER I can to get through the day today without a dose of sub and then tomorrow when I have my day off I'm ok. That would give me 96 hrs without any sub in my system on this low of a dose I "think" I might be able to jump for good at this point. Just wanted to let everybody know my plan I'll keep you informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wow good job!!!! I am at my third day of no subs I tapered to .25 went thru 3 cycles of skipping every third day and got to where I just felt fine without it...............for me its so far so good............keep us posted :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

charred...just said a prayer that this is IT for you! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see how you fare the rest of the week...hang in there and we're here if you need us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

try to skip days if possible , I understand your concern about missing days I had to take off only one so the rest of the time I forced myself through the day.I was hurting for a good 3 weeks but everyone is different , now better but still some residual leg pain/weakness and fatique , youll get there if ya want it.....good luck.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey charred,

Thanks for the update. You're doing awesome!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you do start getting the w/d and need to take some take half of your last daily dose(1/32 of a 2mg pill). Since you took off two days you body will most likely be adjusted to a much lower dose if you decide to take some. I tapered really low( down from 1/10th of a 2mg pill to .016mg in 24 days) and woke up one day with no need to dose. my body just said "your all done" and I have been great for 4 days now. I missed no school, no work and felt only the most bearable w/d you can have as I tapered. Infact school and work made it easier. If you build up many days of minor and more than bearable w/d you pay off for the bad "jumping" w/d and dont need do have one. It sounds like its too good to be true but I promise you it is not. good luck and I hope you are done so I said all this i vain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

I am now 75 hrs since my last 1/16th dose of the sub and I do not have to go anywhere today so I'm not going to take any today that's for sure. I'm definitely not feeling great at all and hoping that by tomorrow morning it would be better. The last poster on here had some really good advice. I think I'm going to try and do that if I do wake up tomorrow feeling as bad as I do today. From most of the posts I read on here it seems to just vary for everybody. It seems like one day your going to wake up and just feel "normal" like your body just doesn't need the sub anymore. Apparently for myself, even on the low dose I'm on; I need longer than 75 hrs lol. I will keep you all updated and let you know how I feel tomorrow morning but holding strong and thanks for all the support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello charred, welcome and congratulations! You're doing a great job just keep your mind set on the task at hand. I will say this n sorry if people disagree... But it may take some time to just wake up n feel normal. Let's face it not many people in this world get outta bed feelin like a million bucks everyday. And we as addicts are brainwashed to think we need to do somethin about it. I'm on day 16 after jumpin from 16mg a day to 4.g the next day, took 4mg for 7 days n junped. So talk about feelin shitty I know all about it. If you wake up feelin bad, take a hot shower with some good tunes playn and just give ur body time to wake up n realize YOU WILL be ok. One of my favorite quotes " welcome any w/d symptom, major or mild, as a sign of weakness leaving your body and a sure sign that its trying to heal" hang in there ur doin great. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!