It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey everyone,

First, like most I would assume, I have done an INSANE amount of research on the Methadone to Suboxone transition and have to say that this forum is by FAR the best out there. So, thanks to everyone here for all of their help and support!

I have been on 98mgs of meth for approx 3.5 years. Ive never done any real drugs in my life and was wrongly put on this stuff after coming off of a 6 month "Dentist Perscribed" vicoden and perocet binder. Anyhow, Im so done with this stuff and am making plans now to hit a detox center next week to get off this and on sub.

My main question at this point is, is there any drawback to taking things during this next 72 hrs while im waiting to go into w/ds? i have some valium, and already have anxiety issues. So, to be honest my main concern is that skin crawling, wanting to rip your flesh off your body, going INSANE feeling. So, im hoping that a benzo will put some sort of dent in that feeling. Not that its pretty, but i think I can get through the other aspects of w/d, but that feeling that I just described is unbearable for me. So along with any suggestions on how to treat that specific w/d, I also wanted to know if taking things up to when i can actually take my first dose of sub will afect the process, ie throw me into PW. This is all ofcourse anything OTHER than opiates.

Thanks in advance to any and everyone for your help!!

Post subject: IMO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]I really can identify with you, I was thrown off 110mgs of methadone (shudder) and was in FULL WITHDRAWAL before I got to the doctor. I'm not qualified to tell you about the Valium, only my experience. I did take Xanax before I left my home and my induction to sub. I was so very sick I was praying for God to take me. I would as one of the administrators about the benzo though. Good luck your on your way to being you again[/font].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad this forum has been helpful to you. I'm no doctor, but taking a benzo shouldn't be a problem. You just need to be in opiate withdrawal. You might also ask your doctor for some Clonodine. It's a blood pressure med and pretty much the standard in treating opiate withdrawal.

If you don't mind sharing, when is your induction? Have you tapered down on the methadone? Sharing your experience about the transition from methadone to suboxone will be very helpful to other members and guests. Again, welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the replies and support!

As far as my "story" goes and where Im at now, I was on appox. 100mgs for the past few years and about 2 months ago started what they call a "blind detox" which is a Dr. monitored taper, but you dont know how much they are taking you down every week, so thats why I said that Ive been on "approx" 100 mgs. I would imagine that im somewhere in the neighborhood of 85-90 mgs right now. However, last week I was unable to pay when I went to pick up my weekly supply of meth and they started what they call a "feetox" which is a rapid detox process where they basically take you down 20% a day for 5 days. I did that for 3 days and then was able to pay again. So yesterday they took me back up to around 70 or so and then gave me my full 90mgs to take home with me (3 doses of approx 90mgs each).

I went to a detox facility on friday to get an idea of how the process works because I desperatley want off of this stuff. although they do reccomend being at 40mgs or less they said they have no problem taking me in.

So my plan is this; this morning instead of taking my full dose I took around 70% of it which I think would be around 60 or so mgs. I am not going to take anything else until I go into w/ds and will then go to the detox center, do my intake and get on sub when they think im in severe enough w/ds.

Im terrified to say the least having read all of the horror stories here, but am even more concerned that I will be and have been at nearly triple the reccomended meth dose in order to switch to sub. I would imagine that the detox facility will be giving me some things to help with the wds along with the sub, but I think the "unknown" is the part that has me so concerned. And I havent really heard from anyone that has made the jump like I am about to do (over 40mgs of meth to sub).

So, I guess that is sort of where Im at, I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions, Im a pretty open kinda guy, so if there is anything that I can share that will help anyone, please dont hesitate to ask!

Like I mentioned in my previous post, i am most concerned and scared of that crazy "coming out of your skin" feeling. It is an indescribable feeling that makes you want to literally jump off a bridge or find a gun...and I am the FURTHEST from the type that would EVER consider somthing like that normally. Does anyone know if and what can be given to help with that specific feeling? Any help or expierience with that specifically would help me out tremendously.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help, I really do apprecaite it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey welcome to the site i think youll find it very helpfull for getting all the info you need. but wow 3 years almost 4 years of methadone for only 6 months of pain meds for a dental operation deal seems a lil over kill. But you def are on your way to a much better life now that you are makeing the change to suboxone. it will allow to get your life back be sober but not have withdrawls or get high whats better then that for addiction recovery.

as of the benzos i think you should be fine but at the same time if you dont have a script i dont think its the best idea to be messing around with benzos.but on the other hand to your question yes takeing a benzo while you are in WD will help some what but no life changeing just help with some small things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just started sub last Tuesday after coming down from 120 mg of methadone to about 15mgs on a blind dose from the methadone clinic. I was already w/ding when I seen my new Dr but he told me to wait 3 days before starting the suboxone and he presrcibed me percocets for the 3 days I had to detox. I already felt terrible when I went to the dr. but he warned me about having too much methadone in my system so i did end up waiting 2 days before i started the suboxone. The w/ds are terrible and I am happy to have gotten through it. The subs are def working and I am really proud of myself. I am 7 days methadone free today and could not be happier. I also took xanax during my detox from methadone and it really helped as far as the constant state of being uncomfortable for hours on end. It basically made it so i could get a little sleep. I think most dr's say you need to be on 30mg or less of methadone b4 starting the suboxone but I have heard of ppl being on 40 a few times. I guess it depends on your history, amount in your system or how far along you are into w/ds. The scariest part of switching over is the uncertaintancy of what the doctor will do or say. I was nervous until I actaully met the doctor and then I realized he was there to help me so it worked out okay. I hope suboxone helps you as much as it has me! I wish you the best! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the responses, it definetley helps to know Im not alone going through this. Like Ive said before, I know the WDs are going to be hell in themselves, but the fear of the "unknown" is almost worse sometimes.

Bboy - regarding methodone being overkill, I CANT agree with you MORE. I should never ever have been on this stuff. At the time, I knew nothing about methadone, opiate wd, or any drug related issue to be honest. i've tried some weed here and there, but other than that have never been on or done any other street drug. Im no saint, I'll drink up a storm for sure so thats been my biggest issue as far as "addiction" is concerned.

Cutenessb - Im actually going to go to a rehab facility rather than to a Dr. for sub. To be honest, Im not sure if thats better or worse. My last dose of 85 or so was Sunday morning, so im only about 30 hrs post my last dose. Ive hear from pretty much everyone that its best to be at 30mgs or less prior to jumping over to sub. But the rehab center seems to feel confident that if Im in full wd i should be ok. I really wish I could talk to someone that is in a simular situation as me just to get an idea of what to excpect at my mg going to sub. The rehab/detox center also gives the patients there things to lessen the WD blow even after you switch over to the sub. So im kinda putting all of my faith in them in hopes that even after I get on the sub if I have any major wd symptoms they will give me something to take the edge off. Either way its not gonna be pretty so Im trying to prepare my self for that.

Like ive said before, my BIGGEST concern is that jumping out of your skin, uncontrollable anxiety that makes you wanna off yourself. The last time i went into wds that was my biggest issue and now what Im most terrified of. I dont know if I was in "full blown wd" at the time, but I do know that I was going insane. So I guess thats the biggest issue im trying to get info on.

Thanks once again for all the helpful posts guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to reiterate that Clonodine is used quite frequently to help with the discomfort (torture? lol) of opiate withdrawal. If they give you anything, I'd bet that Clonodine would be part of it. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
I just wanted to reiterate that Clonodine is used quite frequently to help with the discomfort (torture? lol) of opiate withdrawal. If they give you anything, I'd bet that Clonodine would be part of it. Good luck!

Thanks hatmaker, I appreciate it, Im guessing that the Clonodine will help with this feeling that I have described? Thank you SO much for you help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dear 1wickd -

Is there any way that you can get some Clonidine now to get you through from now until you go in? Maybe your PCP could prescribe a week's worth or so for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Clonidine sends signals to the brain, telling it that the brain is making too much adreneline, so it slows things down. Plus it opens up your arteries so the heart beats slower. Sometimes I feel more relaxed after taking my Clonidine than I do taking either Xanax, which I used to be on, or Klonopin, that I'm on right now. IF you need a bz, Klonopin or Valium are the best because they last the longest in the body. No need to be chasing a pill every few hours. As a detox med, Clonidine is a miracle drug. Seems that either detox centers use it as a way to help detox, or they have never heard of it. I had to bring paperwork to my councilor that I got off the internet when I was at the 'done clinic, and show her how well it worked for everything but the sick part of w/drawal. Google "Clonidine and opiate w/drawal" for more info.