It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have read horror stories of doctors appointments and the pharmacy fills many times. I have been lucky and hardly every have experienced any. The only bad appointment I had with my doctor was when I was a no call no show right after a relapse. It was my own fault. I really had never paid attention to the "rules" of his office that I had signed, and I had recently relapsed.

I have been seeing the same doctor for the last 6 years. When I went into treatment 6 years ago, I was fortunate that the doctor was able to prescribe Suboxone. Other patients there had come from all over the state because the treatment centers around them didn't. The same doctor from the treatment center had a small methadone/suboxone clinic in another town. At the time he was the only doctor in our zip code to prescribe suboxone.(Witch is 1/3 of WI and part of MN) And that started my journey with my doctor.

I had an appointment today and once again the doctor and receptionist are being treated very rudely by the patients. Every appointment for the last year that I've been to I've seen my doctor and receptionist being hassled by patients. The receptionist is getting haggled because they have been waiting to long. She is dealing with patients calling on the phone wanting to talk to the doctor NOW(he only talks to patients on the phone after he is done seeing patients for the day). This office I attend is old. If you scream at the doctor patients in the next room can hear. Last month I saw a woman chase the doctor down the hall and into my room as she screamed at him for not giving her more take home medication and a higher dose for pain. He took her out in the hall and tried to explain to her that he couldn't and it was not his problem that she couldn't to weekly appointments. And he'd happily increase the dose as soon as she went to the ER to have her leg x-rayed. She yelled, ranted, and begged. Told him he didn't care about her and that he killed her mom(I don't have a clue what that was about). He never yelled at her, but he did finally raise his voice and sternly put his foot down. He gets phone calls from the pharmacy all the time needed to double check dosing because scripts looked tampered with. I only see him once a month and something is always going on. I would have to guess this happens more than once a month.

I don't remember this being so bad when I first started seeing him. I always can tell when some one is new. They do quite a bit of complaining. Yes, you do wait awhile to be seen there. Do I like it NO. I always figured what can I do? Spending two hours at his office some days is a pain in the butt, but it is less time than spending four hours on the road going else where. Now there are at least one or two other suboxone doctors in my area, but I like my doctor. I'm scared that another doctor may make me get off of the suboxone, and my doctor seems to be comfortable keeping me on a low stable dose.

What I guess I really want to say is -- Most doctors don't want to deal with drug addicts. Suboxone doctors deals with addicts(some in recovery/some not). Some of the doctors "rules" are set up my the state. Since my doctor is a methadone provide the state watches him very closely for complaince. Some of the rules are there to protect us addicts from our self and to encourage sobriety. I believe my doctor cares for me and every one of his patients. He has dedicated his life to helping drug addicts. He is old and I worry about him dieing or retiring. I hope every one is able find a doctor that is suitable for them, try to be nice because you don't know what they deal with every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi smnell,

It's good to hear a positive story about one's sub doctor. What you're describing is appalling behavior and your doctor and the staff must be very patient indeed to deal with it. People that don't want to help people simply won't put up with that kind of treatment by ungrateful patients/clients, so it sounds like your doctor/their staff ARE in it to help.

My sub doctor is also my primary care doctor. I've only been seeing him for just over a year, since we moved about 18 months ago. But he's a great guy, current with all the latest studies, always willing to share them with me. I also take sub for pain and he seems comfortable keeping me at my stable dose, too. What's also nice is he trusts me when I tell him how I'm feeling and what I think my body needs. He spends as much time as he needs to with me. And because he's also my family doctor, my insurance covers both my office visits and my medication. I consider myself very lucky.

Thanks for sharing with us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.