It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

What is the true ceiling effect of suboxone?
4mg 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
32mg 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been reading about the ceiling effect of suboxone and there seems to be a lot of people saying its 4mg and then other people saying its 32mg of course I am talking about the sublingual ROA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr. Junig refers to the ceiling effect as being at or around 4 mg. This is the point after which adding more of the sub (bupe) does NOT increase its effects. That's what the ceiling means. Some other sites talk about a "ceiling dose" and refer to 32 mg. Most of us go with what Dr. Junig says. If you read his blog (Suboxone TalkZone-see top of page) and his videos, you'll get a very good explanation of the ceiling effect. Plus there's a lot of explanations of it in different places here on the forum. Better than I can spew out at this moment. I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Dr. Junig refers to the ceiling effect as being at or around 4 mg. This is the point after which adding more of the sub (bupe) does NOT increase its effects. That's what the ceiling means. Some other sites talk about a "ceiling dose" and refer to 32 mg. Most of us go with what Dr. Junig says. If you read his blog (Suboxone TalkZone-see top of page) and his videos, you'll get a very good explanation of the ceiling effect. Plus there's a lot of explanations of it in different places here on the forum. Better than I can spew out at this moment. I hope this helps.

Kind of, I'm still a little confused does he mean 4mg in the bloodstream or 4mg by the dose, the reason I ask is because of the factors based on absorption. for example, does he mean taking 4mg or 4mg fully absorbed and in the bloodstream ?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BloodStream, Because I have heard Dr.Junig Say that only 10-15% of the Suboxone Film gets absorbed into the BloodStream. That is why it is so important to do the same routine when you take the films into your mouth and also stick with the same dose until you are stabilized. I see so many people go all over the place with their dose. Me Included but now I am sticking to the same dose and practice the same routine when I take my films.

Also look down a few threads to this link here-->http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6606

here are many many questions about Suboxone that Dr.Junig answers, in fact your answer to this specific question is in this Video Q&A with Dr. Junig himself....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The way I understand it is 4 mg by dose, because we never really know how much we're getting because of the low bioavailablity and who's checking our blood levels? Generally speaking, this is why most people on maintenance should be comfortably above the ceiling. This is to ensure we get the PARTIAL agonist effect that is above the ceiling instead of the agonist that is found below the ceiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am very New to the effects of Buprenorphine so I will submit to Hatmaker as she knows way more than I do. There just has not been enough research as of yet..IMHO..on Buprenorphine. Dr.Junig et;al are leading the way to possibly a re-evaluation of pain management in general. You should find the answer in the many Videos that Dr.Junig has on Buprenorphine. I suggest doing a YouTube or Vyou.com search "Dr.Junig / ceiling effect of Buprenorphine" to be able to listen to Dr.Junig's own words on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anything beyond 16-32mg is useless, depending on the individual. That is the common reference for the term 'ceiling effect' when it comes to Suboxone. The 4mg number is when the opioid receptors are fully saturated, some also refer to this as a 'ceiling effect.' This is how I understand it, at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Excellent way to put it, k.crockett. Thanks for chiming in. :) It takes much to explain the ceiling affect, partial agonists, full agonists, affinity for mu receptor, etc etc. It took me awhile to understand it and I still don't get it completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In my opinion there is a "floor" and a "ceiling" -in terms of how one feels. Below 4mg is where feeling bad really starts and reductions down from here are the hardest. Doses above 32mg are just like too much vitamin c-- just peed away and do nothing to help-- wasted.

There may be other ceilings having to do with 'saturation' of mu sites etc. -- but they seem academic and it is hard to find a good use for them.