It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Does the Suboxone/Subutex Pill last LONGER than the Suboxone Film for you?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 pm
Yes 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Trouble Stopping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Every time I have stopped my Suboxone in the past, I don't make it much more than one day and I feel as though I HAVE GOT to take it! I have no idea how to get past this. The previous go round with Suboxone for me was bad. I jumped at 8mg and had terrible withdrawals and crippling PAWS for about 10 months after I stopped. I ended up going back to heroin. After a few months I started back on the Subs because I KNEW it would be better to be on this medicine and totally happy/healthy than to just struggle, be sad, depressed, ect. without it. So I have seen BOTH sides of this drug and I can safely say that ON it is MUCH better than NOT on it. HOWEVVVEERRR...the question still stands that how can I get over this struggle when I stop after only one day? I KNOW that these films don't really last as long because on the pills I went days without taking it with no discomfort at all. I even asked several of my addict friends that had switched to the films and they say the same things. After about 30-36 hours, I start to get irritated, anxious, sweaty, unmotivated, ect. So...what have you all done to just get through even ONE day? AND I have seen the masses of you that stop and the first 3-5 days are a breeze, but I don't want to hear how easy it was for you and how I must be stupid lol. So. Answer if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im a bit confused by your post. You say you dont make it more than a day without it, but you also say you jumped at 8mg and made it 10 months.

So are you saying that you've successfully quit before but it was very difficult and you dont think you can do it again?

Last edited by eric is on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well first of all, you don't jump off at 8 mgs. With all due respect, that's insane. You have to do a long, slow taper. I've never met anyone who got off buprenorphine that didn't do that. You have to accept that, contrary to public relations, if you've been on Suboxone for more than 6 months at a medium to high dose, it is a MOTHER to get off of. That's also contrary to what Sub doctors will tell you, who are unbelievably ignorant in most cases about the medication that they are supposedly experts on (They take an 8 hour class to be "certified") and make a tidy profit dispensing.

Your post represents an interesting but common contradiction. You say it is better to be "on it than not on it." Yet, you can't last more than one day without taking it. How great is a drug that almost no one can ever get off of.

I used Sub, but I inducted at the lowest possible dose and began tapering almost immediately. People say short-term use often leads to relapse. Trust me...there's always the risk of relapse. I've been free from Sub for quite some time, but I can't promise you I would risk taking it again.

But anyway, for your purposes, if you want to get off bad enough you can do it. But PLEASE don't jump off at any dose greater tha .5 mgs if you really want to succeed. Read the posts of some of the people on here who are suboxone-free today. Do what they did. It's worth the effort. Clean is better. And clean is not some state of mind. Clean is living drug-free.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Golden1 wrote:
Read the posts of some of the people on here who are suboxone-free today. Do what they did. It's worth the effort. Clean is better. And clean is not some state of mind. Clean is living drug-free.

I think he was saying that because he jumped off a high dose, the residual withdrawal and PAWS made life so hard that being on Sub seemed much easier.

And I kinda agree that living without any Sub or maintenance is much more challenging, especially early on, than living on Sub. But it's also much more rewarding, for the reasons you mention. Seems the opening poster caved before he had a chance to experience the rewards.

I also think it's important that people take responsibility for their relapse. A lot of people come on here and say that they couldn't take the PAWS, it was too much to bear, it was too hard. Early recovery, especially for those who've had a high level of dependence, can be extremely difficult. That alone is not a valid excuse for relapse though. In order to grow from a relapse, and figure out what one can do better next time, requires figuring out where one went wrong. And that can only come by taking responsibility for one's mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Movie Maker -

As was said, the problem with you having trouble was that you didn't taper down - you did a cold turkey, and that's just not recommended. Suboxone can be very easy to end treatment IF the person does a proper, slow and long taper. People on this very board have done it and some are still here and posting. (See Laddertipper and Diary and others - check out the liquid taper and other threads in the stopping sub section. They are NOT all horror stories).

The trick is to make small dosage drops - so small so that you barely feel any withdrawals. Yes, this makes for a longer taper, but damn near guaranteed you will suffer less if you taper down low and slow. IT CAN BE DONE!!

And remember, all that time you're on suboxone and tapering down, you have to be preparing yourself to live without the safety net of suboxone...to work on your cravings and triggers and how you plan to handle them when they come up when you don't have the benefit of suboxone in your system. Those are the really important things to be ready for when you come off suboxone. Because if you're not ready to handle those things, you may well end up right back to where you started. Remember, it's more than just ending our dependency. We also have to change our habits and behaviors.

Good luck to you!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for all of your replies guys and gals!

Just to clear things up...

In the past, I knew NOTHING about Suboxone and just stopped at 8mg and had TERRIBLE withdrawal! I had no idea AT THAT TIME in my life that this would happen. After ten long months of being off of it...because I was told it is trading a drug for a drug and pushed it away due to OTHERS....I relapsed...I know it is MY fault. I don't want to make it sound as that I don't.

THE QUESTION NOW...

In the past I took the pills, now I take the film. I used to go days at a time without subs and would be fine. Now I get "uncomfortable" after about 36 hours. I think due to the terrible withdrawal before...it is psyching me out now. But I don't want to sound like I have no idea how to take subs or anything now. I know I need to taper down and how to do it...I didn't in the past. This site has taught me a lot in this area. But I just HATE that when I stop taking it NOW...I can't have those one or two days pain free WITHOUT subs like it was in the PAST on the PILLS. Thats all Im trying to say. lol. idk. Im a stupid addict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

On the flip side there is a benefit to it.

If your body is burning through the film faster than the tablets, in theory the withdrawal process should be a lot quicker. This is because the Sub is leaving your body quicker, so in theory the peak of the withdrawal will come faster, thus the process should be shorter. Maybe PAWS as well?