It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree that this is just outrageous. Addicts OFTEN make these kinds of mistakes when early in recovery as they transition from receiving pain meds for their pain and move into recovery. They should not be kicked out of treatment for it. The sub doctor could have at least just referred you to a chemical dependency center as a worst case scenario. My last sub doctor would forget MANY things I said to him on a regular basis. He was arrogant and thought he didn't make mistakes but I watched him make many.

Just as a note, my current sub doc will only kick you out of treatment if you get caught diverting subs. There are better doctors out there who understand addiction and mistakes. For crying out loud, they are supposed to be helping patients get through this, not booting them out BECAUSE of this. Grrrrrrrrr.

I think even states without the monitoring system have pharmacists who will call. My scripts from my last sub doc all stated that I was on a pain contract which meant the pharmacist should call him if I filled a script for any other opiate. Did you sign a contract with the sub doc?

If it were me, I might consider sending a letter to the old sub doc and tell him you aren't seeking treatment for sub from him, but that you want him to know this was an honest mistake and you thought he knew. I might also tell him that in your opinion, you weren't treated fairly since you DID tell him about the surgery. He needs to take better notes.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Great advice, Jackcrack! I was thinking about writing a letter and have been composing one in my head. I wasn't sure if that would be the right thing to do. I did not sign a contract with my sub doctor. I might understand his actions if I had been a longtime patient and continuously had a problem. The fact that I had only been to him one time is what stunned me. It seems he would at least have a "three strikes you're out" policy or something like that. Then looking me in the eye and telling me that I had not told him about surgery (or he would have written it down) was unproffesional. I had discussed it at length with him and he advised me to wait to have my surgery because being on opiates had probably lowered my pain tolerance. I told him the other day, on my second visit, that I went through with my surgery because I needed it and I wanted to have it while I have good insurance. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say. I guess I'm glad it happened when it did. At least I learned early on just what kind of person he really is. He should definitely not be treating addiction if he treats everyone this way! Thanks for all of the comments and feedback. This is really helping me get through this and thanks to everyone for listening to me vent...it's greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Juststarting - How's the doctor search coming?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been searching the internet and this physician search site. My problem now is that with what happened with my other sub doctor I am not confident in my decision process. I have found a few doctors in the area. Any advice about what questions I should ask when I call, and what I should tell them? I want to make absolutely sure that I choose the right doctor this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This isn't an exhaustive list of questions - just the main ones that came to mind when thinking about your situation.

First, if I was you, I would want to explain my situation with regard to recently having surgery and also if you have any lingering chronic pain.

These are things I would want to know:

Does the doctor prescribe Sub for maintenance, for rapid taper, or for both? What is the doctor's policy (if any) about how long a patient should or can stay on Suboxone?

Will the doctor let you taper at a pace that is comfortable for you?

If you should need additional treatment for your back issue, how would the doctor approach that? For example, if your pain isn't handled by the Suboxone, will they refer you to pain management, or will they treat you, etc. I'd also want to know if this Sub doctor has treated patients with ongoing pain issues - I know some of the sub docs I interviewed wouldn't take chronic pain patients.

Does the doctor require counseling or 12 step meetings?

What are their policies regarding UA's and pill counts and other compliance type things.

What are their policies regarding missed appointments?

How often will you be required to come in?

Cost? Is sliding scale available? Do they take insurance? Will they help you get on the patient assistance program if you need that?

I would also suggest that you think about what is really important to you and prepare your questions accordingly. For some of us, knowing that we are in control of the length of our time on Sub is the most important thing, for others it is cost, or number of appointments. I think it's also just good to get to speak with the doctor before you decide to enter treatment - my doctor didn't have a ton of experience with Suboxone, but he was a psychiatrist who was also willing to treat my depression and anxiety and he had a patient-centered approach that I felt made up for the fact that he hadn't treated that many people with Suboxone.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, Diary of a Quitter...Thanks for the list of questions. I read your tapering story and wonder how you are coming along with your chronic pain. Congratulations on your graduation! That's awesome and very encouraging! I know everyone is different when it comes to how sub works for him or her. I know that mentally it may be better for me to be on sub for a period long enough to get me through. However, physically I don't want to have to go through the long withdrawal period. I know there is more to this than the physical side effects and I am still in some pain since my surgery only repaired part of my back problem. I wish I could use this for a very short period of time and be "fixed". I know that realistically that is not probable. With counseling and motivation I am hoping for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I thought I would post an update to my situation. I did find a doctor in Savannah. I really liked him. He was very personable and couldn't believe that the other doctor had dismissed me. In the long run, it was a blessing. He put me on Subutex because my insurance was cancelled and won't be reinstated until January. The Subutex is a good bit cheaper. I like the Suboxone better for some reason. Maybe I'm just not used to the Subutex. I've heard they are basically the same, but I don't know. I will probably switch back when my insurance gets straightened out. I would like to thank everyone for your advice and support during my desperate time of need. I am so glad to have found this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh my gosh, I'm SO SO SO glad it all worked out for you! That's just terrific. I know how utterly relieved you must be. Thanks so much for letting us know.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.