It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, obviously this is my first post here. I am an established member of another forum which some of the members here may have heard of, I won't name it. That is not the point however, my point is I'm trying to find a place to vent my frustrations on the difficulty of finding the correct doctor for my problem. I've been calling clinics and private practices all day and it seems no matter what I'm treated the same way. No insurance, no help. and if they are willing to help, they want me to come in EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'm trying to avoid this, if I wanted to spend $250 up front, followed by $150 every week to come in to the clinic for my dose every day I would still be doing DOPE for christ sakes!

*deep breath*

I just need to find a compassionate group of people who understand what I'm going through, especially since I know what I need. I have been on Suboxone maintenance for the last 6 to 8 months and it was working beautifully. I just lost my job and couldn't afford to keep making the $250 a month + the cost of the meds payments! Now I've just used the last of my medicine today and I know that I will go back to using illicit narcotics within two or three days. No one that I have called, (and believe me, it has been quite a few places) have simply turned me away based solely on my lack of insurance. The other half of the places seem to want to pawn me off on some clinic that may as well be some methadone clinic, as in they want me to come in daily to get my dose. :evil: :evil: I'm getting SOOOO frustrated. Can ANYONE help me?

disclaimer: obviously I don't expect a flood of messages telling me to call this dr. or that dr. just some moral support would be incredibly helpful right now. I feel like all is lost and that nobody seems to really WANT to help anybody that's in a tight spot in their life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Where are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DonkeyPunch-

It is not possible to assit you in any way without knowing some information.If you would like, you could send me a private message with your location and some information on your situation.I do not know what resources you have tried either so if you still need help, just contact.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry to hear about your situation Donkeypunch and without getting too far into my personal political views I think it's a tragedy that there are others in your current situation. There is the hope of generic Suboxone coming out in the relative near future but even just the cost of Dr. appts can be too much without insurance. Have you thought about or are you able to apply for Medicaid? Most states I've heard have some restrictions for those who seek Suboxone maintenance while on Medicaid and they do tend to keep people on a pretty tight leash as far as having to turn in evidence that you're attending counseling of some sort and there's quite a bit of drug testing that goes on usually so that's perhaps one option.

Another option and this is obviously my own personal opinion I'm in no way speaking for all of us here on the forum but methadone maintenance is typically a fair amount less expensive than Suboxone but most states require daily dosing for the first year or so and because of this if there isn't clinic near to you that obviously isn't a very good option but me personally I'd take any alternative to active opiate addiction. It's just too much work and always ends in extreme emotional, physical, and spiritual pain as I'm sure you're well aware. Don't neccesarily write off checking out some 12-step meetings in your area again ANYTHING is better than active opiate addiction and I do know several people who've been able to stay clean with the help of a 12-step program.

It breaks my heart to hear the stories of those who have to deal with a serious illness without health insurance it makes no sense to me that we, as a nation have decided to wait until things get so out of hand that those without insurance end up in the E.R. costing many, many times more than what it would cost to provide proactive medical care to begin with. Not that it's much comfort to you but I'll certainly be thinking about you and please don't just give up, we hope to hear from you again.