It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Heroin to suboxone is a tricky thing (second only to methadone to suboxone IMO).. especially if you're using the heroin intravenously. You have to be prepared to not feel "good" but the acute withdrawals from the heroin will go away and it will be tolerable. At least with heroin to suboxone, the transaition is pretty quick. It only takes a couple days to even out. Every time I tried (was about 3 times), I always felt crappy and would go back to using heroin because I didn't give the suboxone enough time to do it's thing. Just remember, what you're going through is tolerable. I went through the hard way and just got on methadone first, then eventually switched to subs (which was a mistake and pretty brutal.)

Good luck! Heroin is pretty much out of your system at 18 hours so your timing seems fine. It's almost impossible to go 24 hours off heroin without wanting to kill yourself.

Hang in there! You aren't doing anything wrong, it's just not the easiest process. Most good things in life you have to work for and stick it out. I promise, it's worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pixie888 wrote:
So after waitintheough 27.5 hrs of excruciating withdrawal I finally went for it and took 4mg...it didnt do anything, and maybe made me feel a literal worse, but 1.5 hrs took another 4 MG...than still nothing... Took another 4mg an f hour or so later...on and on like that's ill I'd taken 25 MG for the day and still didnt feel better. Woke up this an and took another. Feel some better now but not out of withdrawals! Thought this stuff would take the withdrawals away? What am I doing wrong?

Keep taking it, it just needs to stack in your system to override it's powerful predecessor. You might want to take a whole 8mg tab at once, the next day you dose rather than halves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 pm 

I hope you're sticking with it! Tinydancer gave you excellent advice and a very realistic viewpoint. Let us know how you're doing.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I still haven't used... Havevtaken 2 4mgs. This am... U feel some better but stillNOT normal. What should I do?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took one this am so far and I do feel better but I don't know how much to take for today. I'm lathargic and have no energy : (

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tina,

I'm so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well as of yet. I wish I knew what to suggest you do. Hopefully Tinydancer, Amy, or someone that has advice for you will be here soon.

What has me puzzled is you said you took a total of 25mg yesterday and you still weren't feeling right. That is a lot of sub and should have made a difference at least.

I would wait until you hear from someone before doing anything Tina. Hang in there as best you can sweetie. I know how horrible it is and I wish I were there with you. I'm sure it will be ok soon. Do your very best to not panic and wait for someone to get here.

All my best to you Tina!

Hugs,
Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've seen several people come to the forum who are on their second or third shot at suboxone from heroin and most all of them have extreme issues getting onto suboxone the second or third try and I believe it's mostly related to the tolerance they have built up.

I do know this, if you stick with suboxone, it will eventually start working. From what I remember, it usually takes 2 to 3 days for the tolerance from heroin the die down enough to where suboxone is "strong" enough to work.

As for how much to take today, I'd say 16mg, but you may find you need more.

Try to be patient with yourself over the next couple of days. The suboxone will start working again, it's just going to take it a bit to overcome that high tolerance you built up while on heroin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I second Romeo's advice. It seems like I have seen several people say that when you are coming from heroin to subs it takes a bit longer to really "kick in". You didn't really answer Amy's question...are you holding it under your tongue and waiting on it to dissolve? Also, if you are a smoker, I have heard that you should wait 15 min. or so before and after taking the sub to prevent loss of absorption. I believe it has something to do with smoking constricting the veins, thus preventing maximum absorption.

As Tiny said, just give it a few days. Please stick it out. I know you aren't feeling the best right now, but IT WILL work if you give it time. If you made it over 24 hours with nothing you can totally do this for a few more days!

I'm rooting for you Pixie!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tina,

How much did your doctor prescribe you each day? You can take anywhere from 16-24mgs in the beginning, just to get your receptors nice and saturated but I wouldn't stay on 24mgs for long, it's overkill. The only thing that you can do is wait it out with the faith that you will start to feel better. Unfortunately this is called "paying the piper." But trust that it's a lot easier than going cold turkey, we'd never make it, if that was our option. Transitioning to suboxone can be hard enough but it truly is a godsend when you stabilize. Just pamper yourself if you can and get through each day.

You should try taking 16mg in the AM and if you feel crappy in the evening, take another 4-8mgs. There is no need to take multiple 4mgs.. That's just how a lot of (smart) doctors start out there patients to keep them from overdoing it accidentally. It's to help you find what you're comfortable with. Once you know what your body needs/ can tolerate, you should keep your dose to once or twice daily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know, I waited I till I absolutely couldn't take it anymore and that was at 27.5 hrs after last use. Kept taking them and they really didnt make an difference...think I took almost 25 msg that 1st day....today I only took 12.5 msg and feel a lot better....but what to I take tomorrow?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 am 

I'm so glad you're feeling a lot better! I say stick with TD's advice. 16 mg sounds like it may be the right dose for you for the time being. Most people find it fairly easy to taper down to 8 mg if you need to later on.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you felt fine on 12.5mg, then I'd say do that again today. TD brings up a very good point about taking the majority of your suboxone at the same time each day. Taking your dose all at once gets you well above the ceiling and with suboxone's long half life, it should keep you there throughout the day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to suggest taking at least 16mgs and holding steady at a dose for a while. You might have felt fine at 12.5 because of the higher dose the day before was still in your system. When coming off heroin it is really important to keep your receptors extremely saturated, especially in the beginning when the temptation is still fresh and strong. Better safe than sorry, trust me. But, the good news is you can always add more so it doesn't have to be an exact science at first. You'll eventually figure out what works for you. Just remember, take more suboxone if you start to feel like it's not working or you find yourself fantasizing about "just one more load.."

Let us know how you're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to update everyone....I went through terrible wd for over 2 days but I stick it out and have been clean for a week today. I FEEL GREAT about it. I'm not sure about my dose tho....some days I take 5mg and some days 8...it's hard to tell how much to take bc the half life is so tricky. Any advice???
Thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll tell you what I myself believe you should be doing Tina. Whether it's 5mg, 8mg, or a different amount than that, I honestly think you should get on only one dose and stay there for a while to let your system level itself out.

Maybe try the 5mg first and see how that goes? Keep taking 5mg each and every day for a few days and see if that holds you. If not then try taking more, but remain on a steady dose to give yourself the best opportunity to get completely stable.

Jumping around and taking different doses would have me very confused, while feeling good some days, and not so good on other days.. Try doing that for a while and I bet you will get to feeling great in no time! Try the 5mg first and let us know how that goes ok.

My suggestion anyway here Tina. I wish you the best and will continue supporting you all the way!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm 

I agree with Karen! But I also want to say that I'm very happy that you stuck it out and that you're feeling great! Now you're in a great position to help others get through the same transition from heroin to suboxone. Do you have any suggestions now that you've been through it? Did anything in particular help you get through the tough initial days? Glad for you! :)

Amy