It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find this to be useful in RARE situations-- where the pain is clearly severe enough to prevent being prosecuted by the DEA or by state licensing authorities. It truly has come down to that issue, sadly; doctors cannot think that they will be OK, as long as they are not breaking any laws, and trying to truly help people who desperately need their help. What I have learned, sadly, is that comments like 'these people were suffering and desperately needed help' will provide NO sympathy for the doctor involved. None.

My presentation from the ASAM meeting last month:

http://www.slideshare.net/jeffreyjunig/ ... am-meeting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Very Very Interesting. Could this be the Future of Pain Management, a combination of typical Opiates for pain plus Buprenorphine to balance out the Opiates euphoric side effects? Thnxx for sharing. In all Honesty, it does not seem that much research has been given to Modern day Pain Relief, but with Doctors like Dr. Junig taking an active and pro-active approach to altering the research towards a more comprehensive approach is very encouraging. Where a balance is achieved to stop the pain inpatients but also dis-allow that Euphoric High that sends allot of patients into taking too much Pain Medicine ! Great News on your Research, Thanks so much Dr. Junig !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had thought about this before, like if it would actually work.

A great read on a sunday morning, thats for sure. I hope with Dr's like Dr. Junig, (few and far btween.yes) there will hopefully be LESS fear someday of buprenorphine.

Thankyou Dr. Junig, THANKYOU

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my doctor does prscribe one patient both subs and a morphine for a patient that has cancer. what the levels are i do not know but from what i have read this just may one day be the way .It all seems like a great idea. both control of pain and a regiment that will not allow addiction would be great for many people .. The future may hold the answers to alot of interesting approaches to how pain is handled.I take subs for both pain and addiction and i wish years ago when i started the pills for my back,that there was some kinda program like this available..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We also discussed this in the TalkZone section. I actually took Dr. J's plan to my doctor and he was receptive (my husband is a non-addict chronic pain patient). I posted the whole story in that other section if you all are interested in what my doctor said.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker---can you tell me where you posted the story? I'd like to have it for reference just in cause my doc may want to look at it. He treats mainly opiod addiction, not chronic pain.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's the thread that also has the link to Dr. J's original slide show presentation. http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6527

It's some pretty interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font] Hi, I have been doing alot of reading and searching the web for information about the future of or research into pain control. I have been on suboxone for 7 years. It saved my life! And I hear that from so many. I also have chronic pain which brought be to addiction of opiates. Suboxone greatly helps with my pain and an added bonus, I have no desire to drink alcohol! I have not had a drink in over 5 years! Why is this not given for alcohol abuse? Today I am in a healthy relationship! I'm happy, I have a good life, respect, I'm very lucky! And I would not have this if it were not for suboxone. My pain now is managable, I can get out of bed and take care of my family and enjoy life. I have Fibromyalgia and I hope that they seriously take a look at this medicine for pain control, it works great! I know so many are suffering and I also hope they make this more available to anyone with pain and addiction issues. They seam to go hand in hand. I am 55 and I have been dealing with this for 30 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone has also helped me by taking away my cravings for alcohol. That was one of my biggest fears of quitting opiates, because whenever I quit any drug in the past, I always turned to alcohol to fill that void, and would get drunk every single day until I found my next doc. Since being on subs, I haven't craved anything, including alcohol, which is a big reason why I chose to stay on it for maintenance instead of doing a quick detox.

My mother also has fibromyalgia, and has been in pain every day for decades. Her doctor will not prescribe her opiates, so she can only take Motrin, which doesn't help the pain enough. I have thought about telling her to ask her doctor about Butrans, but I haven't yet, because I don't know if it would be wise to get her on a med that might be hard to get off of if she has to have surgery one day, since she's in her mid sixties. And if she ever loses her job or can't work anymore, she would probably not be able to afford it, and would have to go through withdrawal. I don't know if it would be too bad, since Butrans is such a low dose, but she is completely opiate naive, so I'm sure it would cause her some kind of discomfort to discontinue the med.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Armeywife!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font] I read somewhere that Suboxone is being considered as a treatment for Fibromyalgia. I would like to know more about this. I have several friends who want to try Suboxone for their pain. I did read on the Forum from Subdoc that FDA is considering this. Does anyone have anymore info on this????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, I have not heard this. I've been to many fibro sites where people are starting to end use of regular opiates to start use of suboxone/subutex as their main pain medication. That's growing more common. I worry about that and have said so on other sites because they know so little about this med and are going from normal opiate tolerance to sky-high tolerance with sub. I've even tried to explain how it works, but they tend to get upset with me, thinking I'm trying to talk them out of their miracle pain med.

It can be used now off-label for pain, but I've not heard a thing about it getting approved as a pain med. Do you have the link you read this on? Are you talking about our subdoc, Dr. Junig? IF so, was it on his blog or what? I don't recall seeing that. Thanks for any info you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One question doctor. Naltroxone therapy is used in non opiate tolerant paitents to "restore natural opiate" production by giving low doses daily for a period of time. The boy tends to re act to the flush of natural opiates by amping production so when stopped...your body should be pretty close to normal levels.

SO...wouldnt administering Naltroxone PERMANTLY keep lowering the bodys natral opiate prodcution, combined with outisde opiate production making it even lower. Wouldn't that mean a few things?:

A - More opiates over a period of time (prescription increases faster or stronger opiates prescribed faster)

B - Actually more pain due to the bodys natural opiate production being lowered.